Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Wow, the IPTest Tool for Win9x is really cool!
  3. Work AthlonXP 2000+, Firefox 48.0.2 : Youtube H264 720p - 70% CPU need «Windows Media Player Firefox Plugin 1.0.0.8»
  4. Today
  5. I ask because MSE started to nag on Windows Vista about 90 days before Vista's EOL, and it is now about 90 days before Windows 7's EOL. Here's a screenshot taken in January 2017: The link led to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14223/windows-xp-end-of-support, but perhaps Microsoft will redirect it to something more suitable for Windows 7 - although there has been no MSE upgrade.
  6. Yes. But I cut that off the pic and reloaded the sanitized one. Ain't that what mods are for?
  7. I pretty bet he meant guy's face, but whatever...
  8. Thanks VistaLover and Mathwiz. To my impression, Serpent 55 branch will not carry on as long as Serpent 52, so I choose Serpent 52 branch. For the same reason I will not try older version of Serpent 52; And Palemoon Android version is not recommended by the developer himself. So it seems I have to live with it. I think I can export bookmark as html file and import on Android. But I can't find "import" option in "advanced" menu of Firefox for Android as some search results say. Has recent Firefox for Android removed that feature?
  9. Aha, I just found that Borland C supported something called a precompiled headers. This should generate some extra file from *.h files that is then combined with *.c files via specific BCC command line option. It should help to speed up compilation. Maybe he used some historic slow PC for building DOS tools? If you find some free time please upload packed compiler, maybe he had placed headers and compiling batch/makefiles there. I don't hurry with it...
  10. What is the monitor you have? I always keep an eye out for 12" monitor (dream perhaps the IBM PS/2 model) since those monitors give Windows 95 and DOS the look I seem to remember. 15" is the average to see, and 17" monitors and up are just way too big.
  11. We do respect the privacy, but pictures are generally taken of computer running in public places and accessible by everyone, like train stations, markets, local shops and so on... You know, as long as it's a public place (not some deeply hidden computer running in some secret part of a company storing valuable and secret information about whatever leaked by a dodgey employee) and there are no other people included in the picture with their face well visible, I don't think that there are any problems in posting them here.
  12. Could it be - somehow - connected with the (stupid) volume tracking of Win9x? See: https://jeffpar.github.io/kbarchive/kb/148/Q148637/ and: https://jdebp.eu/FGA/volume-boot-block-oem-name-field.html https://web.archive.org/web/20061124201419/http://www.microsoft.com./technet/archive/win95/rk20_dsk.mspx jaclaz
  13. Wow it's possible to run it on newer system. Didn't know about that and made a visual copy of it using Delphi
  14. Yesterday
  15. Really annoying problem keeps cropping up in my 95 VMs though....the A: drive keeps breaking. I don't know what triggers it, but at first it works fine, if I have something to install that requires multiple floppy images, such as plus, I can attach the first image to the A: drive, run the setup, and change disks as prompted and resume the setup, and it detects the new disk just fine. But then at some point, something triggers this to break on the VM, and it will not detect the disk change. Changing the disk breaks the drive until powering the VM off and back on. Which is a problem when it comes to installers that require multiple disks. I've only been able to fix it by completely redoing the VM, but I'm on my 3rd VM, and I've still not figured out what triggers it to avoid it. Anyone run into that before?
  16. As strange as it might seem (but being on MSFN, I don't think I will be regarded as a nutjob), this is my main computer. It's the RDD, the Retro Daily Driver. It is my main computer, as well as being the development system for the UOC Patch. While it's old, it runs very fast thanks to two reasons: it's overclocked and it uses formerly high end parts. These are the specs: CPU: Intel Pentium !!!-S 1.4GHz overclocked to 1.5GHz (Tualatin core, Socket 370) M/B: QDI Advance 10T (VIA Apollo Pro 133T) RAM: 1.5GB PC133 SDRAM GPU: Gecube Radeon X1950 Pro Storage: 1x Western Digital Blue 500GB SSD, 1x Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB HDD Audio: Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value CT4520 ISA LAN: 3Com 3C905C TX-M 10/100 OS: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP3, modified to consume as little RAM as possible, the UI has been replaced by a Windows 3.x styled one with Stardock Windowblinds 5.1. I still need to do some other upgrades on the RDD. Mostly, I need to add another SSD, replace the CPU with a Tualatin SL6BY, which I've read that can overclock more than its predecessor, the SL5XL Tually. I also need to check out if I can get a Radeon HD3850 or an HD4670 to work reliably on my motherboard, or else I will get another X1950 Pro.
  17. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/release-information/windows-message-center#343 WMC is not supported on Windows 10, so this change mainly affects those running Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate who use WMC as a DVR. The relative few running Windows 8.1 with Pro Pack will apparently be shafted, as well as anyone still running Vista Home Premium or Ultimate and using TV Pack 2008 (I might be the last TV Packer remaining AFAIK). Of course there are third-party DVR programs such as NextPVR and MediaPortal, but (1) in North America you would need a Schedules Direct subscription for EPG and (2) only WMC supports DRM for North American cablecards. Other than buying a Tivo or renting a DVR from your cable provider, the only solution for issue (2) might be EPG123, which would again entail a Schedules Direct subscription.
  18. I found an old sony vaio laptop in the loft. I have connected it to wifi, but when I try to connect to the internet I just get HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
  19. You'd be right. However BEFORE the store was Napa, the counter was still blue.
  20. Ok, will see what I can round up for a video card. I don't have anything of that era handy, the only spares I have are PCI-E, but I can probably round something up somewhere eventually. Meanwhile, testing in virtual, I've found the repair seems to not work for OSR1. It appears to be doing an OSR2 repair and getting the MS-DOS error. I should note, I'm not entirely confident that my ISOs are properly labeled. My retail and OSR1 both make me enter dashes and OEM when entering in the key though, so that seems right. But, my retail copy comes with a version of Internet Explorer (of the era of the floating windows icon in the sky, before the big blue e), and from what I read on wikipedia, retail didn't come with any version of internet explorer. So....not sure about that. But, anyways, my iso that is labeled retail does the fix correctly, my iso that is labeled OSR1 doesn't. Obviously, no rush to look into that, as I'm happy playing around with my "retail" iso for my purposes, but figured you would want to know that.
  21. Hmmm, only out of curiosity, how do you know exactly that the photo in question was not authorized? Guys, please respect a bit the presumption of innocence. And now, for NO apparent reason, hipsters: https://petapixel.com/2019/03/07/hipster-p***ed-over-his-photo-in-article-on-hipsters-looking-the-same-but-its-a-different-hipster/ jaclaz
  22. Guys, please respect a bit the privacy of other people :-( Unauthorized photos in general are bad enough, but close-up mugs on the public web are a complete No-Go. And doesn't even make any sense at all when the subject are just "screen" shots. Cutting out parts of a photo with any simple, basic app, like IrfanView or even MS-paint, takes just a minute, and NO skills!
  23. Welcome to the MSFN! Make sure to read the site rules, especially the first bit. We operate a bit differently than mdl.
  24. The blue countertop makes me think it is a Napa.
  25. UPDATE! I have updated both the 38 ESR and 45 ESR versions of the UOC Patch. Please update and let me know how they run on your old machines! EDIT: Macintosh version updated as well. EDIT 2: I have finally found the culprit behind the occasional stuttering when a website is scrolled. The reason is due to a behavior of both Gecko and Goanna, called "reflowing". Basically it seems that part of the canvas gets briefly reloaded when a page is scrolled, causing the stutter. I'm not a web designer so pardon if my explanation is incorrect, but this seems to behave that way. Now that I have finally found the culprit (at least on my machine), I have managed to disable the automatic reflowing of the canvas when a page is scrolled, fixing the issue, at least on my machine. I have updated the UOC Patch for every platform so please, re-download and update the patch accordingly. I might add some other features in the next days, so make sure you follow this thread in order to get the latest developments of the UOC Patch and the Enforcer.
  26. OpenSSL v1.1.1d for XP is now available. Only a few minor fixes since v1.1.1c, so it may not be worth the trouble to rebuild Python's Cryptography module with it, but here it is anyway, just in case.
  1. Load more activity