Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. @jaclaz thanks for your input but I had already done that yesterday I did put the folder on the desktop so I only had to type >> cd desktop.... cd daniel..... I just wanted to know what I have to type once the black windows is open.
  3. Sorry, by EOS I meant end of sale... which is the "Extended" period that included OEM Facilitated Downgrade Rights (Buy Win 10, get Win 7 installed). I do not remember exactly how long ago it was, I wanted to say 2 years but that seems to be too long.
  4. Today
  5. Yes but not on my WinME build, it may be because of my registry though. The programing is setup in the registry. I might do a new install one day with updated files in the WinCab folders. Process Explorer vs 10.20.0.0 is a good tool and is vanilla Win98 compatible. It will show CPU usage accurately & minimizes to tray. There was a lot of talk about System Monitor in Tihiy's tools topic. I tried updated MESP1 SysMon with no noticeable differences.
  6. @blackwingcat "Microsoft and the codepage": This is Windows 10 german with exact the same error like w2k, xp and win 7: with ttf font lucida console ">" is displayed "1>" ::-( No error with ä ö ü any longer. Greetings Joe
  7. Do you mean 231, that's the current Java 8 version? That works fine here on XP with Firefox 52.9.1 ESR, and there are no warnings in the plug-ins list about it.
  8. Goodmaneuver IpTest.exe works as advertised on vanilla Windows 98 SE. The program provides the registry merge and i believe a reboot, not just logout, was required. On reboot the network activity icon magically appeared in the system tray. Your comments regarding high CPU usage are interesting. My system shows high CPU, even when the system is resting with no running applications. This is confirmed via TinyResMeter and sysmon.exe, both show ~ 50% CPU usage. Despite this, running Microsoft WinTop shows the system is >99% idle and the system is very responsive. Similar to your comment, wiggling the mouse cursor around brings the reported CPU usage down. I know with Windows XP when gaming, launching a windowed-mode game will show 100% CPU usage on SysTrayMeter just accessing game setup screens. The system otherwise is performing fine and the CPU remains very responsive. Wish i could find the link, read this issue may be related to system registry calls. To me this is just normal behaviour for Windows, unless you are experiencing other symptoms, others would know best.
  9. We have trouble here with sending .EXE files in the mail, too. Even putting them in a .ZIP, .7Z or .TAR.GZ archive did get caught by the mail provider, because it recognised an .EXE file inside the archive. In that case, the archive wasn't the problem, it was the .EXE inside. Renaming the files to obscure the attachments filter didn't help either. What helped however was to use a password on the archive and to encrypt the file names (which was an option in 7-zip, I think). Now the problem is, that the other computer, that recieves the attachment, has to unpack it again, and there are some incompatibilities between different zip- or 7z-versions. That might be annoying, especially when travelling through the decades with Windows 95 and modern Linux machines for example. You have to try a little bit to find some compatible options.
  10. Because new software can wreck your operating system, I install everything in a virtual environment for testing purposes. If there are no problems, it becomes permanent. I uninstalled old Java and installed Java_v8.0_b131. My four Mozilla based browsers don't like this new build of Java: about:addons -> Plugins -> Java_v8.0_b131 -> It's listed with security risk warnings. "Always Activate" is greyed out on the menu. A message appears when installing Java 8.0. It's the usual warning about software not compatible with older versions of Windows. It seems to integrate smoothly with XP Pro_SP3. Is there a build of Java 8.0 that will work with XP without those Mozilla security warnings? Java isn't very useful when "Always Activate" is greyed out.
  11. Several months ago I decided to save the Desktop I built for XP. After upgrading most of the components it seemed logical to improve the operating system, if I could. That why I started this thread about PAE patching. bphlpt, I found that magnet link. Thanks for your guidance. I stopped downloading torrents years ago, so my torrent clients are ancient. I just read an article about torrent magnets. Seems like an improvement over the old torrents. I downloaded PicoTorrent because it's simple. I read all the replies to my original post. I'm going to try one of these PAE patches. I've got numerous system backups, so I have to stop worrying about which PAE patch is the safest. Dibya, there are many positive articles on other sites about your PAE patch. People who have tried it like the results. I have several hardware and software cleanup procedures to perform before I apply the PAE patch. I'll return to this thread with the results.
  12. -- 1.5.10 (9.12.2018) -- * additional changes to match acrylic design (installer provides option which design to use) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM - CustomThemeMaterial - file with texture that is rendered (tiled) above glass regions (default is Acrylic noise texture) Aero Glass 1.5.10-1.5.12 ignore any external PNG texture file in CustomThemeMaterial.
  13. Yep, I knew. You know, but someone said "Timex" in the thread. I've seen no demo for ZX-80, but I'm sure I did for some ZX-81 with 16 KB.
  14. advance notice: - firefox45esr will have a new build tomorrow - nm27/km76 are unlikely to have new builds tomorrow - sp55's update is still pending hoping it can be done on/before 30 Nov
  15. Well, that is much later (like three years later, a different age, it has colours) and it is essentially a Sinclair Spectrum: https://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?st=1&c=935 See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jr7Q1yJOUM jaclaz
  16. @dibya Isn't this the second (or maybe third) Christmas that you create some expectations for something that you never delivered? @caliber OK. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Command Prompt You now have a black window open and you have a command prompt in the form of a line, probably *like*: C:\Documents and Settings\username>_ with the underscore flashing, right? Now you should know where exactly you have extracted the file, you can use windows explorer to get the right path. Let's say the file is in D:\IronPortable\Download\WinXPPAE.exe At the prompt (in the command promp window) you type: cd /d D:\IronPortable\download and press [ENTER]. Please note that if for any reason the path has one or more spaces in it, you need to enclose it in double quotes, example: cd /d "D:\Path with spaces\download" Now the prompt has changed to the path you just typed. Verify that it is the right place: DIR WinXPPAE.exe and press [ENTER] it should show you the file, its date and time. Now type: WinXPPAE.EXE and press [ENTER] You should see the following: jaclaz
  17. So here's the backstory. I have an excel document, that is shared and stored on my company's oneDrive account. It's shared with multiple people, so we use the link to open it. Here's the cumbersome part. Since I need some functions that work badly or not at all when opened in Excel Online or Teams I need to press "Open in Desktop Add". Every. single. Time. I'm looking for a way, preferably desktop shortcut, to tell office to open this in Normal Excel 2016. Due to my company's policy trying to find potential sharepoint/oneDrive folder and treat it as network folder, even if possible, is a no-go. Tried to search out exact phrase in the internet, I failed.
  18. DrugWash, would Bittorent file sharing work? I can confirm your latest NetMeter vs & Mempanel works without bugs with AHK 1.0.48.5.
  19. This is it? https://web.archive.org/web/20110604212342/http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/1/c/a1ca7af1-a6e3-46e7-874a-4c5d8c0fb3b7/SFU35SEL_EN.exe And: https://archive.org/details/cdrom-services-unix-3.5-microsoft-2004
  20. Yeah, so it's better to download iso from microsoft which have update 1 already installed.
  21. You're both welcome. And sorry for the bugs and missing functionality, I never seem to finish what I started. And then real life takes over. Yeah, there's a handful of reasons, not only Linux. But it doesn't matter. If I ever find a suitable way to share all my "toys" again I'll let you all know. Until then, be well.
  22. Grease

Hello

Yup sure will lots of knowledge here.
  23. @caliber Well wait for Christmas , a gift is coming in form of PAE patch (just install and enjoy type).
  24. This was posted in the past (in the now closed original thread), but the official Mozilla langpack for FxESR 45.9.0 should do: https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/firefox/releases/45.9.0esr/win32/xpi/de.xpi Install, restart, in about:config set general.useragent.locale;de, restart once more...
  25. Not really. I stopped working on that after my last attempt failed miserably. There's a post with screenshots here on MSFN somewhere. I spent way too many hours on Chromium. It's a far too big project with many parts that I don't really understand and since I don't fully get what they were trying to do and why some things were there that way, some of my implementations were actually wrong when I rewrote them. If you search for my last attempt here on MSFN you'll find out that I managed to get it running but it wasn't able to load any pages and the UI was broken. If you think that every time they add some commit many other things change we're never gonna get it working. That said, the last thing I want right now is to waste many other hours on this code, yelling at my computer for yet another thing that doesn't work. I can only say that I'm not currently working on it and I haven't even opened the solution explorer for months. Dibya isn't working on it and Samuel isn't working on it either. The other guy we shared the code with got stuck at the new vs old multi-threading implementation 'cause once he re-introduced the old multi-threading several things that are NOT documented broke (I.e they are documented, but they expect data in a completely different way and of course it doesn't say anything about it 'cause nobody expects someone to change a trivial modern Windows API to substitute it with some sort of dirty way to check and allocate workload that was used in the former implementation). We haven't heard from him ever since. The last compiled executable works fine on Windows 7 and above but on XP and Vista it doesn't. If we push our very latest code into it and we compile, then it doesn't work on ANY Windows Platform as it fails to load pages (although it does start a glitchy default Window which immediately crashes). This just enlightens the fact that there's something deeply wrong in our code since we broke modern Windows compatibility, but anyway we don't really want to have different routines inside our code for different Windows platforms. In a nutshell: I'm not working on it, don't expect anything from me. I did my part, the code has always been open source and online, so if you wanna help the guy who took the project over from us, ask Dibya and Peter so they can make you talk with him, if he's still working on it of course (I have no idea what that guy is up to since I haven't heard from him for months and he doesn't reply on Skype anymore). I'm sorry to delude you, but I guess that's it...
  26. Most of the contents of the Older Windows NT-Family OSes and Windows 9x/ME forums are actually made by geek minds for nerds only...
  27. DrugWash I have compiled your programs thank you for sharing your work. I like the reverse committed charge (amount of virtual memory left) great texturing (colors). Double left clicking NetPanel.exe brings up Switch Interfaces but then does not show icon but there is a phantom icon there and tray context is functioning. Both are great programs & run fully from AHK scripts & icons show so not a problem. I can get full download speed from CometBird 9, over 2M Bytes per second. Unfortunately I can not get it to IP transfer on a relatively standard WinME build? FF3.6 not a problem. Opera & FF3.6 (Wyzo) tests at 2.7 MB/s real download speed tested today. When I use Tihiy's IpTest it did not go to tray. All I get is a volume control after reboot with no extra program running. I do not run the Windows systray volume control in normal usage but use VolumeMouse. I think I may have a registry problem if other members do not have icon problems? I will investigate, when I installed KEX 4.5 years ago it altered Kernel32.dll slightly, first thing I will replace with original. Windows System monitors zero point is offset ever since installing DotNet framework 2.0. ie shows a higher % when idling but when mouse is moved continuously for example CPU usage drops. I think this has got to do with registry HKEY_DYN_DATA. Process explorer shows CPU usage of zero. Also happen one time on an old mother board where standard WinME IDE driver did not work. I lowered 3.3V down a bit then driver booted in and worked good but ever since had high CPU usage. I raised 3.3V back again and still worked but still had high CPU indication. I assume I broke a CMOS transistor but I let you work that one out. PS. I changed kernel32 back to original but when booting then changes kernel32 again with KEX 4.5.2. I have been running KEX23 with original kernel32. Ahk2Exe.exe needs KEX disabled.
  1. Load more activity