Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

MSFN is made available via donations, subscriptions and advertising revenue. The use of ad-blocking software hurts the site. Please disable ad-blocking software or set an exception for MSFN. Alternatively, register and become a site sponsor/subscriber and ads will be disabled automatically. 

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

1. Past hour
  2. Java 1.6.22 fails on install

The OP is trying to install update 22 (the last version that should normally install without extra hodge podge) and you are telling him it's more recent than update 31!!!!
  3. Today
  4. POSReady 2009 updates ported to Windows XP SP3 ENU

The release date your CPU is june 2008. If Sandy Bridge (2011) is 2nd Generation Intel Core processors: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Core#Sandy_Bridge_(2nd_gen)_microarchitecture-based and the cPU's Intel Core 2 Duo (2006) are part of the processor generations that preceded the First Generation Intel Core processors, https://communities.intel.com/message/519186#519186 your processor is part of the First Generation. In the best hypothesis. At the moment safe from the problem. I have not read an Intel Corporation note which states that having the FSB allows you to be safe from the problem.
  5. Well, there are two (distinct) issues. Microsoft installers are (obviously) backward compatible but not necessarily forward compatible. But besides that (which may be worked around with a trick or two, restoring the BOOTMGR, etc.) the real issue is that since the .wim based approach to install you (we, everyone) were deprived of the possibility of changing the name of the main Windows folder, which is now "Windows". Some earlier versions could be (with some small changes/tricks) installed in theory on the same volume in multi-boot (though it made no real sense and represented what we - highly specialized technicians call "looking for troubles"). BUT as said the good news are that starting from 7 there are ways to install the OS entirely inside a .VHD (native booting of it may need a "high profile" version of Windows 7), jaclaz
  6. Java 1.6.22 fails on install

100s sounded very reasonable to me, its probably an underestimate to be honest. I don't really know for certain but I know 100 sounds really low to me. But thats the point. PS I know you can instal higher version with kex betas but the point is the wiki says that its 1.6.0.31 not the other one that OP said it said. But I'm not gonna suggest to install higher version with kex to somone who can't get what pretty much just works tested by everyone who has tried.
  7. Funny... I uninstalled all hotfixes for the Compatibility Pack, SP3, and the Compatibility Pack itself, then reinstalled the Compatibility Pack and SP3. To my surprise, Microsoft Update is working fine, showing all available updates for the Compatibility Pack. Did one or more of the updates for Windows I installed a week ago fix the MU problem? Weird.
  8. Java 1.6.22 fails on install

Destro, The last Java 6 version is update 45: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/java-archive-downloads-javase6-419409.html. I have it installed on my machine, it runs fine. Update 22 is not too high of a version, it's older than update 31. And if you don't mind me asking, how do you know the number of people who installed it successfully on 9x? Btw, in case anyone is interested I have JRE & JDK 7 Update 76, JRE & JDK 8 Update 92 and JDK 9 Beta 95 all installed on my machine. 7 appears fully functional, 8 and 9 have some stuff that doesn't work but still usefull as I can run some programs requiring either of those versions specifically.
  9. SUMMARY OF CHANGES TO THE LIST FOR JANUARY 21, 2018: Updated information about Advanced Chrome 54: the browser still receives updates as of Jan. 2018. Fixed broken download link for Advanced Chrome 54. Removed link to List of Working Web Browsers for Windows Vista post, as it has recently been deleted for unknown reasons. Updated information about Windows Defender: the software should continue to receive definition updates until Jan. 2020, when support for Windows Server 2008 ends. Updated information about Dropbox in Vista, complete with a link to a guide I made on how to keep the software working properly in Vista after the January 8, 2018 end of support. Added download links for the following last versions of software to support Vista (NOTE: These are only for FREE or TRIAL versions of software whose vendors have provided download links, or the software may be hosted by a trusted source, such as FileHippo.com.): Kodi 17.3 - hosted by vendor PowerDVD 15 (trial) - hosted by FileHippo Adobe Reader X v10.1.16 - hosted by vendor Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 SP1 - hosted by vendor VMware Player 6.0.4 (which must manually be updated to 6.0.7) - hosted by FileHippo Spotify 1.0.24.104 - hosted by FileHippo Paint .NET 3.5.11 - hosted by FileHippo Picasa 3.9.141 Build 259 - hosted by Internet Archive AMD Catalyst 13.12 Display Drivers - hosted by vendor NVIDIA Display Drivers version 365.19 - hosted by vendor Classic Shell 3.6.8 - hosted by vendor on SourceForge SharePoint 2010 (trial) - hosted by vendor Windows Mobile Device Center 6.1 - hosted by vendor WSUS Offline 10.9.2 - hosted by vendor
  10. That link points to the 32-bit version
  11. Windows 95C on a Dell Latitude D510

Running USB 2, Keyboards, and/or Mice, on Windows 95 requires a very messy Hybrid Setup. You can run USB Keys at USB 1 rates using USB2STOP and my Driver from the latest XUSBSUPP.
  12. Yesterday
  13. Windows 95C on a Dell Latitude D510

yea, i agree with above, you have to disable usb emulation in BIOS on Dell laptops that were designed for XP and Vista if you want 9x to detect devices. As for CDROM, set your IDE controller to primary only then run add new hardware non plug and play and it should find the CDROM but DMA won't be available.
  14. Java 1.6.22 fails on install

You should go back to the page and carefully read. The last version is 1.6.0.31. 1.6.22 is too high of a version. You should also change your clock. Or roll your clock back to a reasonable date taht would be aplicable to the signature date. You need to select 2000 sp4 as the compatibility mode on the EXE file then you have to run it silently.(its both) Unless you already tried that. make sure you are using a full install package not the web version. Ok the instructions I gave just work and it has worked for 100s of people without failure so if it doesn't work for you than there is some other problem unrelated to this. http://kernelex.sourceforge.net/wiki/Sun_Java_Runtime_Environment Silent install: Start-->RUN C:\jre-6uxx-windows-i586.exe /s
  15. Yep, another program that helps to prevent Windows 10 from automatically update. this one comes from NoVirusThanks, a software developer that gave the world a few programs like Exe Radar Pro. that I've read a lot good about on security-related sites. Some might find it handy. http://www.novirusthanks.org/products/win-update-stop/ Personally I didn't test. It says it supports all 32/64 bit Windows from XP to 10, but I find Win7 built-in tools for that purpose quite better than the one in Win 10 Wilders Security thread (quite brief at the moment of posting).
  16. presentation

Oh, hey. Hello. Have a good time here :>
  17. Java 1.6.22 fails on install

I have got a Windows 98se pc with KernelEx installed. I tried to install Java 1.6.22 since the wiki said that is the lastest version that runs without any major problems. Actually the installer fails on copying new files with message: Error 1330.A file that is required cannot be installed because the cabinet file C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Sun\Java\jre1.6.0_22\Data1.cab has an invalid digital signature. This may indicate that the cabinet file is corrupt. Task scheduler also changes icon. I have tried silent mode and changing compatibility. They failed. What can I do to install it without this error?
  18. As jaclaz says you must install the older OS first when you install multiple Windows versions for multiboot, so much I know.
  19. presentation

Hello everybody! Developer visual basic in Portugal My preferred system is XP, but y like seven. mimie64
  20. Windows 95C on a Dell Latitude D510

as far as i have experienced, there is no usb 2.0 in windows 95 osr 2.5, meaning, the speeds will be limited to usb 1.1, that being said, you should still get the controller and hub to work, just that it will be limited to usb 1.1 speeds, getting usb to work on 95 osr 2.5 can be tricky sometimes, the bios settings like you mentioned can change the way devices show up or work, interestingly for me, i actually had to do the opposite, set usb emulation to disabled for some usb devices to work on certain laptops, though i don't really remember to be honest how i got them to work on 95 osr 2.5. as far as the other things go, i did want to mention that i wasn't gonna necessarily point out which installation order to do things but for the other stuff, can you list the hardware id of the ethernet and firewire, i have gotten firework drivers to install on 95 but i never tested them. i may or may not have had to manually add the hardware id to the inf. also, i was wondering where you got the scitech display doctor 7 beta, i have been using more recently the univbe driver but for some reason on some systems i tested, it gives a windows protection error / fault / divide in zero related error, i am not sure if the scitech did this but i feel like the scitech would be better overall and not have the issues i have experienced.
  21. Hmmm. I would probably go for Toruk, if needed. jaclaz
  22. StartIsBack++ 2.5

Right clicking on open program in taskbar restarts explorer, but does not close window.
  23. Certainly NOT. Not really "have to", You could alternatively use a Windows 7 installed to a .vhd, For the Windows 10 (already installed) OS the .vhd will be just a (large) file, and you wouldn't need to modify the partitioning. jaclaz
  24. If I've got a win-10 system and I want to install win-7 from a bootable thumb drive, will the win-7 installation process correctly configure the (single) hard drive for dual-boot and preserve the existing win-10 setup? Would I have to create a new partition on the existing hard drive first to do this (and can that be done from win-10)?
  25. StartIsBack++ 2.5

StartIsBack v2.5.2 activated...
  1. Load more activity