USB 2.0 Stack for Win98/ME

Tihiy

I could not find an entry for "PACKAGE_VERSION" under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VIA Technologies, Inc." All that was under that entry was "Chipset information Setup Program," With an empty entry marked 1.00.000 under it. I read through the articles provided in the links, but since data corruption is not present in the system, and since it has VIA AC'97 Audio as its audio chip, I will leave it unaltered.

I downloaded the 4.56 driverset and ran it from the desktop. After restarting, a new entry was present under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VIA Technologies, Inc" called Via4in1Driver, with strings related to the driverset. Since installing the driverset is more for any potential additional bugs at this point than for any practical application, I plugged in a USB 2.0 storage device, since I don't know if this particular drive might work at USB 1.1 speeds. A windows message briefly appeared reading that drivers were being installed for the device, but it did not appear in My Computer.

I downloaded usbf108.exe from Part I of the general version of the Crash Test article. I opened the file before I realized that it contained several files mentioned in this thread (probably overwriting some of the superceding files, but since USB 2.0 functionality is impossible, and since the drives likely do not work without USB 2.0 support, it should not cause any noticible differences). I restarted and checked My Computer, but the drive was not listed. I think the system is now as optimized as it can get without changing the hardware. It is is likely better to stay with the newer Intel-based USB 2.0-supporting Windows ME system I have, since the only advantage the older VIA system has is a larger case with a more user-friendly case-interior design.

• 4 weeks later...

SP 3.18 now give users a fully updated USB 1.x + USB 2.0 stack.

HIDCLASS.SYS 4.90.0.3000

HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

HIDVKD.SYS 4.90.0.3000

OPENHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6940

UHCD.SYS 5.0.2195.6882

USBAUTH.SYS 4.90.3000.0

USBD.SYS 5.0.2195.7008

USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

USBDSC1.SYS 4.10.0.1998

USBDSC2.VXD 4.0.0.950

USBEHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6882

USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006

USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891

USBMPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0

USBNTMAP.SYS 4.90.0.3000

USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941

USBSER.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

USBSTOR.SYS 5.0.2195.6773

USBU2A.SYS 1.4.2.0

USBVIEW.EXE 5.1.2600.2180

WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6

X360C.SYS 5.2.3790.1830

X360CCP.DLL 5.2.3790.1830

X360CFF.DLL 5.2.3790.1830

X360CSA.EXE 5.2.3790.1830

• 1 year later...

Hello, I use NUSB3.3 on a Pentium3 USB1 (440BX) machine and thank you, the hackers, for that, because it works better than the vanilla drivers from Windows 98 SE. You might be interested in solving another problem of mine, that is the following: On an nForce3 machine (Athlon64) I always get a yellow exclamation mark for the root hub of any USB host controller I install, "ntkern.vxd could not load the device driver -- code 2", no matter if the vanilla driver or NUSB3.3. I tried several posted possible remedies, but none works for me. I tried a PCI Opti USB1 card, but that gives the same error message. Any suggestions?

Edited by Grasso

It is an Asus K8N rev1.01 mainboard. The nForce3 chipset basically is just one nVidia chip which handles AGP, PCI, USB1/2, ATA and various other things and which is connected to the CPU via HyperTransport. Setting CPU speed to 800MHz, ACPI 2.0 on or off and APIC on or off helps neither. I tried all BIOSes from the latest BIOS (v1011 beta005) down to 1006. I can boot into MS-DOS and acess an USB flash disk (with low speed, even tho I load smartdrv, and only 8.3 file names), but when i run win afterwards, Windows gives an explorer.exe error and shuts down. 

Edited by Grasso

Now we're getting somewhere (Explorer causes shutdown).

Have you installed:

1) the nVidia Drivers for nForce3?

http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/NVIDIA_nForce_v1_2_3_Drivers

-Note: nVidia website gets "not found" when attempting to get them. Above is alternative.

2) any Fixes/Updates (Unofficial, manual, whatever) other than NUSB or is this a "clean" install and then stopped?

Is this your Manual/Motherboard?

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/sock754/K8N/e1868_k8n.pdf

Now, you get the "fails to start" and have *not* said *which* solutions you've attempted (links -or- detailed explanation, please). What I've found indicates a file is missing (specifically, that file and some entries in AUTOEXEC.BAT). I find it "odd" that DOS (DOS mode?) can access a USB Flash but the WinOS crashes in Explorer. How were you able to access USB in DOS (DOS USB Drivers)? It seems to imply that the UFD is recognized as an External HDD, so we don't even know what Make/Model it is.

In addition, there should be absolutely *no reason* for the Opti Add-In card to cause the crash. It should have worked out-of-the-box (AFAICR).

Do this, except let me *also* know what the Device Manager says *for the USB Controllers/Hubs* (you never said):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172994-forbidden-sound-blaster/#entry1088621

Also, bear in mind that the Drivers are for USB Controllers and *not* USB Devices (note the difference between Controller/Hub and the attached Devices).

IOW, you're leaving out critical info. Just what you gave is incomplete. We need specifics, not generic (e.g. USB 2 gets code 2). Yousee , I don't have an nForce3 single-chip MoBo and can only go by what the Asus docs (and other souces) give. We'll try to help you but you have to help us to do that.

Thank thee, there are v4.27 drivers, while I used v4.20 ones before.

2) any Fixes/Updates (Unofficial, manual, whatever) other than NUSB or is this a "clean" install and then stopped?

Just ATI graphics and Aureal sound card. I already re-installed Windows from scratch since I had had this problem for the first time.

Yes. Thanks again, I did not have the manual. The manual means, that on the CD-ROM (which I do not have) were USB2.0 drivers. But the nforce drivers above do not include USB, and at asus.com/K8N there neither are USB drivers for Win4.

Now, you get the "fails to start" and have *not* said *which* solutions you've attempted (links -or- detailed explanation, please). What I've found indicates a file is missing (specifically, that file and some entries in AUTOEXEC.BAT). I find it "odd" that DOS (DOS mode?) can access a USB Flash but the WinOS crashes in Explorer. How were you able to access USB in DOS (DOS USB Drivers)? It seems to imply that the UFD is recognized as an External HDD, so we don't even know what Make/Model it is.

When I activate legacy support for USB in the BIOS, stick in the 8GB flash disk and boot into DOS (F8 - "boot into command prompt"), the disk is D:, and I can copy files from/to it. (Now fast, since I found that "hispeed" is faster than "fullspeed").

When I now type "win" <enter>, windows starts loading. But the legacy USB code gets in the way, and Windows quits by saying "explorer.exe found error, please reinstall windows". (I use a german Windows, so I must re-translate messages.)

When I let the computer boot into Windows right away, then no crashes but just non-functional hubs.

In addition, there should be absolutely *no reason* for the Opti Add-In card to cause the crash. It should have worked out-of-the-box (AFAICR).

It does not cause crashes but it does not work. But it works on other mainboards. Somehow the K8N mainboard lets any USB hub in Windows 98 SE fail. I also deactivated legacy support in the BIOS, to no avail. But Windows XP has no problems --USB-wise or other-- with this mainboard.

Do this, except let me *also* know what the Device Manager says *for the USB Controllers/Hubs* (you never said):

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/172994-forbidden-sound-blaster/#entry1088621

Also, bear in mind that the Drivers are for USB Controllers and *not* USB Devices (note the difference between Controller/Hub and the attached Devices).

The controller is the server, and the first hub is the slave, a logical device which provides a bus. A USB bus can run six devices in parallel, hence it has so many jacks. Plugging in another hub, another six devices can become connected to the same controller. As devices differ in many ways from another, each device needs a driver.

Windows 98 SE on the K8N installs any controllers fine, they have no yellow exclamations or red crosses. But any hub gets the error.

I apprechiate, how thou are helping people.

Edited by Grasso

Hi Grasso, I had similar problems on most of my systems and below please find my solution - hope it helps !!

Please see Problemchyld's post # 62. He lists many 5.xx files - please find 4.90.xx versions of these and manually downgrade all of them.

Re-start and see if USB is working now. If so you can then manually upgrade again one by one until you find the culprit(s). You have to re-start

after each upgrade which is tiresome but I did not find a better way ...

For example, on none of my systems I have a usbstor.sys higher than 4.90.3001 installed.

Another tidbit you left out - German Win98SE. Hoping you're using the German NUSB.

http://www.technical-assistance.co.uk/kb/win98se-usb-mass-storage-drivers.php

Note the instructions in the link.

Did you do that? It falls in line with MiKl's post above about Problemchyld's instructions.

IRQ Conflict may have caused the Opti to not work. Betting the other MoBo's didn't have multi-USB built in.

You're aware that "PnP OS Installed" set in BIOS causes 98 SE to control Memory/IO/IRQ/DMA, right? See Section 2.4.6 of the Manual.

Betting if you'd have Disabled -all- USB in BIOS the Opti would have worked.

Opti specifically states that it works -

http://www.opti-inc.com/html/drivers.html

(Please note I have one or two - check the Chip on the board to confirm it is indeed an Opti.)

HTH

I think I have the German version of NUSB33, and I sucessfully used it on other computers. (Anyway, I think, only some dialogues would be in English, if one installed the English version on any language Windows.)

I think I once managed to run the Opti add-in USB card along mainboard USB on some mainboard. However if a hardware ressource such as IRQ conflict was the problem, then the controller would have a yellow exclamation mark, but not the hub. And of course when I plugged the Opti card into the offending ;) K8N, I booted up once with disabled mainboard USB, too, but that did not help. 

There is one thing I have not tried yet, that is installing Windows without ACPI. I forgot the details, but I think one can even remove ACPI from an already installed Windows 98. Somewhat dangerous operation, but I may try it soon.

Edited by Grasso

[...], but I think one can even remove ACPI from an already installed Windows 98. Somewhat dangerous operation, but I may try it soon.

Here's how: <link>

Windows 9x works just fine with ACPI. I don't know why people try to avoid it so much. I have added it on laptops that didn't have BIOS equivalency. I have laptops that didn't install hibernation by default, but is working on all my system. Sometimes, no matter how lazy we are, if you skip steps in following instructions you are asking for trouble. ACPI is software based not hardware.

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Yeah, I know, wiki-wiki...

APM: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Power_Management

ACPI: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Not interchangable and definitely a different interface.

See Post#2:

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/acpi-vs-apm.2868/

MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff540487%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

Technet:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958145.aspx

While Microsoft strongly recommends using systems with an ACPI-capable BIOS, Microsoft recognizes that many computers only support APM

BIOS is written for Hardware Vendors. Big flub example of bad BIOS code is (especially older) Compaq's that use their own version of LBA that prevents a *data* HDD from being transferred to another PC that does it "the right way".

IOW, don't depend on ACPI being correctly implemented *at the BIOS level*. (agreeing with jaclaz above...)

Side note: Just for fun, take a look at the MS recommendation for Win2k3 PnP in BIOS and dual-boot:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/en-en/library/cc781092%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

Weird how this stuff works (or don't), huh? ;)

Big flub example of bad BIOS code is (especially older) Compaq's that use their own version of LBA that prevents a *data* HDD from being transferred to another PC that does it "the right way".

More recently than that a whole bunch of HP and Lenovo machines "forced" a "queer" CHS geometry with 240 heads, and this, summed to the poor way MS designed some bootsector code (for both FAT32 and NTFS) has caused much grievance when imaging or restoring (or exchanging) disks...

And seemingly (at least for the moment) it is not like UEFI is going to be as painless/foolproof as it is advertised.

jaclaz