USB 2.0 Stack for Win98/ME

Tihiy

• 2 months later...

Usbstor.sys 5.00.2195.6773 does not work correctly with my USB flash drive. I have to re-install NUSB just to get it working.

NUSB overrides this with an older version of 4.90.3000.1.

Can you fix this issue. Thank you very much.

P.S

It also crazy how I replace older files with the newer XP files and get no BSOD etc...

Usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Usbport.sys 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Usbstor.sys 5.00.2195.6773 does not work correctly with my USB flash drive. I have to re-install NUSB just to get it working.

P.S

It also crazy how I replace older files with the newer XP files and get no BSOD etc...

Usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Usbport.sys 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)

Try the 3 versions of USBSTOR.SYS attached here [they're all from XP]:

USBSTOR.SY2 5.1.2600.2180 [XP SP2 final]

USBSTOR.SY3 5.1.2600.3205 [XP SP3 beta build 3205]

USBSTOR.SYS 5.1.2600.5512 [XP SP3 final]

Just rename the one you wish to USBSTOR.SYS (from *.SY2 or *.SY3) and copy it to %windir%\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS [you should backup the one you're using now and which works properly].

Hopefully one will work for you.

If one does, pls e-mail me, so I know which one, to update USB20DRV.EXE accordingly. ;)

Thanks.

Best wishes,

MDGx

USB_STOR.ZIP

Thanks but none of those WinXP files work.

USBSTOR.SYS 4.90.3000.1 is the only one that works on my system.

Thanks for all your help.

Having different mobo/chipsets wouldn't affect this will it?

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Have you WDMSTUB.SYS installed? How is it being loaded? Note that either using MDGx's method or my method, after you add USB20DRV, you must remove and redetect bothe the USB2 controller and all your usb devices to get WDMSTUB.SYS installed as a filter driver. If you don't do that, Usbstor.sys 5.00.2195.6773 will not work. So, after installing USB20DRV, you must go to safe mode and delete all entries for your pendrives and hubs and the EHCI controller, then reboot to normal mode, let windows redetect the EHCI controller, and then plug one-by-one your USB devices, in order for them to be redetected. It's not like nusb 3.3, which you install, reboot and it just works... USB20DRV needs you to actually make some extra effort to get it to work. And, BTW, I do really doubt those XP SP1 files you're using will ever work right...

Have you WDMSTUB.SYS installed? How is it being loaded? Note that either using MDGx's method or my method, after you add USB20DRV, you must remove and redetect bothe the USB2 controller and all your usb devices to get WDMSTUB.SYS installed as a filter driver. If you don't do that, Usbstor.sys 5.00.2195.6773 will not work. So, after installing USB20DRV, you must go to safe mode and delete all entries for your pendrives and hubs and the EHCI controller, then reboot to normal mode, let windows redetect the EHCI controller, and then plug one-by-one your USB devices, in order for them to be redetected. It's not like nusb 3.3, which you install, reboot and it just works... USB20DRV needs you to actually make some extra effort to get it to work. And, BTW, I do really doubt those XP SP1 files you're using will ever work right...

Well I deleted the files in safe mode let it redect and the same results. Its not working at all. Why I don't know.

I had to comment out this line ;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

just to get it working thank you.

This is what is should look like

[uSBSTOR.AddReg]

HKR,,DevLoader,,*NTKERN

HKR,,NTMPDriver,,"wdmstub.sys,USBSTOR.SYS"

;HKR,,NTMPDriver,,USBSTOR.SYS

Edited by PROBLEMCHYLD

Glad you found out what to do befere I was able to reply. :thumbup

I left that entry there exactly for that, but I had to leave it commented out, because it's not needed for NUSB 3.3, unless you use it together with USB20DRV (and that's still reserved to advanced users).

BTW, now that you have WDMSTUB.SYS correctly installed, you may want to download WdmCheck and use it to test those XP files you're using for any dangling dependencies, because passing the WdmCheck test is the minimal requisite for a driver to be safe to use, in general use. Dependency Walker is not reliable with WDM drivers (i. e.: .sys or .mpd files). Also, do please read again my post #24, in this thread. Usbehci.sys 5.1.2600.1106 may work well, but Usbport.sys 5.1.2600.1106 is bound to give problems, sooner or later.

• 1 year later...
  • 10 months later...

1. Please tell everyone which files need to be deleted before starting usb20drv.exe (http://www.mdgx.com/files/USB20DRV.EXE). Is it all files in system32/drivers with USB and EHCI somewhere in the title?

2. Is usb20drv.exe the only thing that is needed to enable usb functionality, or are other downloads also needed, like dencorso's usbstor110c.7z update (http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=28559), or the OP Tihiy's upload (http://sweetlow.at.tut.by/download/usb2.zip) of USB2.INF, USBEHCI.SYS, USBHUB20.SYS, and USBPORT.SYS? If Tihiy's files are superceded by MDGx's USB20DRV, it hasn't been explicitly stated in this thread. The only one I can see overriding MDGx's is usbstor110c aka usbstor.inf. PROBLEMCHYLD didn't mention in Post #41 () which file had a line commented out, so I can't tell which file was fixed (based on the context, it might have been usbstor.inf, usbstor.sys, or an edit of the usb20drv.exe application; it sounds like whichever file was modified was done so to enable a listing of wdmstub.sys in the registry). Whichever file was modified, PROBLEMCHYLD did not upload a corrected version of it, so supercession of PROBLEMCHYLD's fix over MDGx's is still unknown.

3a. Dencorso's method is to install USB20DRV after deleting certain files (see question 1.); install USB20DRV; and to restart in "safe mode and delete all entries for your pendrives and hubs and the EHCI controller." Does this mean going into Device Manager and removing every single entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers? I did not see anything with EHCI in the title in the list of installed devices in Device Manager after booting into Safe Mode.

3b. Do any files in system32/drivers need to be deleted at this point?

3c. Are there any other files that need to be deleted or any alterations not mentioned already that need to be done at this point?

4. Dencorso's instructions continue, "then reboot to normal mode, let windows redetect the EHCI controller." This sounds like an automated Windows task. Is there anything that needs to be done to force EHCI controller redetection?

5. Dencorso's instructions continue, "then plug one-by-one your USB devices, in order for them to be redetected." I plugged in my usb storage drives one at a time, hit refresh, and manually typed F, G, and H in the Run prompt to see if I could get them to open, but it remains as it was prior to downloading anything; usb storage access on the system is non-functional.