USB 2.0 Stack for Win98/ME

Tihiy

What steps, if any, have you already taken? This is critical to know how to advise you.

When you read about many of these packages, keep in mind that most are designed for Windows 98 SE, NOT Windows ME. Most can be adapted to ME once you know what you're doing though. My first advice is to FORGET USB20DRV.EXE, as it was designed for 98SE rather than ME, and has documented issues.

If you want to enable strictly USB2.0 Hardware support (Hubs & Ports) NOT external devices, then you should extract these files from NUSB 3.5:

USB2.INF

USBEHCI.SYS

USBHUB20.SYS

USBPORT.SYS

And place USB2.INF in the WINDOWS\INF folder, and the .SYS files in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS.

IF you have a VIA Chipset based motherboard, get those 3 .SYS files from THIS package instead of NUSB. (Keep NUSB USB2.INF.)

If you want to expand external device support, back up you current USBSTOR.INF and replace it with USBSTOR.INF from NUSB 3.5. Do NOT use USBSTOR.SYS from any of these packages! KEEP the ME version!

LoneCrusader: 1. I started out by trying to install NUSB, but was unable to install it due to lack of ME support.

2. Downloaded usb20drv.exe, dencorso's usbstor110c.7z update and Tihiy's upload.

3. Deleted all files that shared the same name as files from Tihiy's upload from System32/drivers.

4. Ran usb20drv.exe.

5. Rebooted in Safe Mode.

6. Went into Device Manager and removed every single entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

7. Rebooted in Normal Mode.

8. Waited for redetection and reinstallation of devices.

8a. Plugged in devices one at a time.

9. Pasted any files from Tihiy's upload and dencorso's usbstor110c.7z update that weren't already present in System32/drivers.

10. Noted continued lack of support for USB storage devices.

"FORGET USB20DRV.EXE, as it was designed for 98SE rather than ME, and has documented issues." Based on the current non-functionality of USB storage device support on the ME system, I agree that usb20drv.exe has issues. I do not dispute that it was designed for 98SE. It is listed in both the 98 and Windows ME Updates + Fixes section of http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME, and is tagged as experimental, with a disclaimer of its functionality.

"you should extract these files from NUSB 3.5"

NUSB 3.5 has instructions for installation (for the purposes of WinME USB storage device functionality, LoneCrusader says I only need four of the files, and will substitute step 5 for copying the files into the folders specified in post #46): However, the link in that post for downloading NUSB 3.5 is broken, but this link does work: http://narod.ru/disk/start/07.dl2sg-narod.yandex.ru/21372724001/h6502633d1516c7b2038211bee997dff1/nusb35e.exe

NUSB 3.6 has instructions for installation:

However, both links for downloading NUSB 3.6 are broken for United States downloading:

English: http://turbobit.net/tyu37wycpmde.html

https://rapidshare.com/files/4248520231/nusb36r.exe

Since later posts in the above thread mention improvements from 3.6, I'd prefer to extract the files from 3.6 if someone will upload it to a working hosting site.

"IF you have a VIA Chipset based motherboard" According to the specs listed for the system (an HP XT934), it uses the VIA KL 133 chipset, which may account for the lack of results from nusb and usb20drv.

"Do NOT use USBSTOR.SYS from any of these packages! KEEP the ME version!" I think I still have it. The version I have in system32/drivers is dated 7/13/2003, v5.0.2195.6773, but apparently only the Windows/INF file has any affect based on where LoneCrusader said to place USB2.inf. The version in Windows/INF is dated 6/08/2000, v4.90.3000.0. If the version I have is the Win98 version, which version should I use, and where can I download it from?

After writing this post, and after removing all listings under the USB heading from within Device Manager, I restarted in safe mode, renamed the old files that were getting replaced, placed those old files into a folder, and copied the four new files into their two folders listed by LoneCrusader. Then I restarted, and the same Windows messages indicating VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controllers were being installed. Then I restarted again following installation of the controllers, per step 6 of NUSB 3.5's installation instructions. I plugged in an HP USB storage device into an HP system, but the device was not recognized by AutoPlay, Device Manager, or on restart.

NUSB 3.6 has instructions for installation:

However, both links for downloading NUSB 3.6 are broken for United States downloading:

<snip>

Since later posts in the above thread mention improvements from 3.6, I'd prefer to extract the files from 3.6 if someone will upload it to a working hosting site.

The link I gave then still works...

Ok, we've still got some miscommunication/misconception going on here.

Based on the current non-functionality of USB storage device support on the ME system, I agree that usb20drv.exe has issues. I do not dispute that it was designed for 98SE. It is listed in both the 98 and Windows ME Updates + Fixes section of http://www.mdgx.com/web.htm#WME, and is tagged as experimental, with a disclaimer of its functionality.

USB20DRV.EXE does NOT provide external USB storage device support by itself. It was only intended to be an update/tweak of settings/files already applied by NUSB. MDGx probably should not have it listed for ME. :}

LoneCrusader: 1. I started out by trying to install NUSB, but was unable to install it due to lack of ME support.

2. Downloaded usb20drv.exe, dencorso's usbstor110c.7z update and Tihiy's upload.

3. Deleted all files that shared the same name as files from Tihiy's upload from System32/drivers.

4. Ran usb20drv.exe.

5. Rebooted in Safe Mode.

6. Went into Device Manager and removed every single entry under Universal Serial Bus controllers.

7. Rebooted in Normal Mode.

8. Waited for redetection and reinstallation of devices.

8a. Plugged in devices one at a time.

9. Pasted any files from Tihiy's upload and dencorso's usbstor110c.7z update that weren't already present in System32/drivers.

10. Noted continued lack of support for USB storage devices.

Many of the files contained in NUSB already exist in Windows ME. They are addons and upgrades to 98SE, but several of the files require modifications to run under 98SE. These modifications are NOT needed under ME, and adding the modified versions may break the original ME versions under ME.

Under ME, you will need ONLY the files I listed to achieve what you want. Any other files should be removed or reverted back to the ME originals.

"Do NOT use USBSTOR.SYS from any of these packages! KEEP the ME version!" I think I still have it. The version I have in system32/drivers is dated 7/13/2003, v5.0.2195.6773, but apparently only the Windows/INF file has any affect based on where LoneCrusader said to place USB2.inf. The version in Windows/INF is dated 6/08/2000, v4.90.3000.0. If the version I have is the Win98 version, which version should I use, and where can I download it from?

The USBSTOR.SYS you have is a Win2K file from one of the packages. Remove it and extract the original ME version from your Windows ME CDROM. It should be v4.90.3000. There is no 98SE version of USBSTOR.SYS.

USB2.INF and USBSTOR.SYS are unrelated.

-USB2.INF is for USB2 Hub & Port support ONLY and controls the 3 .SYS files I listed previously.

-USBSTOR.SYS is used ONLY by USBSTOR.INF which controls external device support.

As far as NUSB 3.5 vs 3.6 : there is nothing of any importance for Windows ME changed in 3.6 except the addition of a Digital Camera to USBSTOR.INF. This also requires another .SYS file. Unless you need that specific camera supported, then don't worry about it, and all of the other files I mentioned are the same in either version.

Be sure to use the VIA .SYS files since you have a VIA chipset.

After writing this post, and after removing all listings under the USB heading from within Device Manager, I restarted in safe mode, renamed the old files that were getting replaced, placed those old files into a folder, and copied the four new files into their two folders listed by LoneCrusader. Then I restarted, and the same Windows messages indicating VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controllers were being installed. Then I restarted again following installation of the controllers, per step 6 of NUSB 3.5's installation instructions. I plugged in an HP USB storage device into an HP system, but the device was not recognized by AutoPlay, Device Manager, or on restart.

Had you previously connected any of your storage devices to the machine before you tried to enable USB2 support? If so, entries for them may still exist in other places in the Device Manager. These entries would have to be removed before the devices can be recognized again. Check for entries related to your storage devices under "Disk Drives" and "Storage Devices" as well as the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers."

Edited by LoneCrusader

If I'm not mistaken, the HP Pavilion XT934 has no hardware support for USB 2.0... dubbio.gif

dubbio.gif

:blink:

...the same Windows messages indicating VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Controllers were being installed.

This is a USB 1.1 Controller.

I think the "misunderstanding" here may be deeper than we originally thought.

Edited by LoneCrusader

All of the files below will work just find on your WinME computer. Most of the files I use on Win98 are from Win2000 and WinXP. You can see I crossed out the not needed ones on WinME. I wouldn't try replacing these files if you are not so savvy. Hundreds of users, use these files and only a few have problems that have VIA controllers. And yes, some of the system files inside NUSB are modded, but the actual USB drivers listed below are all authentic, no mods, no patches except for the INF files which have updated drivers.

1394.INF

HIDCLASS.SYS 5.0.2195.6882

HIDDEV.INF

HIDPARSE.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

HIDUSB.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

HIDVKD.SYS 4.90.0.3000

NODRIVER.INF

OPENHCI.SYS 4.90.3000.0

UHCD.SYS 4.90.3000.0

USB.INF

USB2.INF

USBAUTH.SYS 4.90.3000.0

USBD.SYS 4.90.3000.0

USBCCGP.SYS 5.1.2600.5585

USBCDC.INF

USBDSC1.SYS 4.10.0.1998

USBDSC2.VXD 4.0.0.950

USBEHCI.SYS 5.0.2195.6882

USBHUB.SYS 5.0.2195.7006

USBHUB20.SYS 5.0.2195.6891 use WinME version if you have VIA

USBMPHLP.PDR 4.90.3000.0

USBNTMAP.INF

USBNTMAP.SYS 4.90.0.3000

USBPORT.SYS 5.0.2195.6941

USBSER.SYS 5.1.2600.5512

USBSTOR.INF

USBSTOR.SYS 5.0.2195.6773

USBU2A.SYS 1.4.2.0

USBVIEW.EXE 5.1.2600.2180

WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6

X360C.INF

X360C.SYS 5.2.3790.1830

X360HORI.INF

X360MDCZ.INF

X360CCP.DLL 5.2.3790.1830

X360CFF.DLL 5.2.3790.1830

X360CSA.EXE 5.2.3790.1830

USBSTOR.SYS 5.0.2195.6773

WDMSTUB.SYS 5.0.0.6

I don't think WDMSTUB is needed under ME. The Win2K USBSTOR.SYS has no missing functions with WDMCHECK under ME, but further testing may be needed.

There's also no known advantage to using the Win2K USBSTOR.SYS... There are no problems with the ME version. The only rationale for using the 2K version is that "newer files must be better" - which is questionable, especially since the ME version was written for 9x, while the 2K version was written for NT. I have reverted to the ME version on all my systems.

:wacko: Says so right here. Serious misprint. Seems all of the Review website made the same mistake. One must "assume" that joel96 reinstalled WinME but neglected to install all of the VIA drivers? I would be interested to find out if this is the case.

OOPS! Spoke too soon! This speaks of an "Asus AVL-VM boards based on the KL133". Look this over as well (ViaArena IGP Drivers).

The only driver shown necessary for WinME appears to be a Video Driver. And requesting Win 98 only provides Keyboard/Mouse. That's downright weird since I had THOUGHT that Via Drivers were necessary in the first place.

Good Glory! I can't even find the Motherboard - it just HAS to be (willing to bet) an Asus. Usually you can inspect the MoBo and see what name they go by (FWIW).

Nope! more than likely Trigem (?) Santafe-L.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=bph07900

Does the above look like it? Still... that would be USB1.1...

Edit - I see you guys have that "sussed" for potentially correct USB1.1 Support.

Edited by submix8c

I don't think WDMSTUB is needed under ME. The Win2K USBSTOR.SYS has no missing functions with WDMCHECK under ME, but further testing may be needed.

There's also no known advantage to using the Win2K USBSTOR.SYS... There are no problems with the ME version. The only rationale for using the 2K version is that "newer files must be better" - which is questionable, especially since the ME version was written for 9x, while the 2K version was written for NT. I have reverted to the ME version on all my systems.

Me personally, I have seen some improved speed stability on my Win98 machine with the newer files. I also had a bug a while back with CHM files that was caused by MDAC Official and Unofficial. Upgrading to Some Windows 2000 and XP files fixed that problem. So I must say, the newer files has improved my system overall stability and also have fixed bugs other wasn't aware of.

It took me some time, because there's no KL133 that I can find mention of, so there must be a mistake in HP's documentation: the KLE133, however, is well known and documented. Only UHCI USB is mentioned, hence USB 1.1.

The computer must have gone through an RMA that gave it a new chassis and motherboard, since neither looks like the pictures I've found online of the HP Pavilion XT934. The motherboard is a Foxconn a7v-ml rev. 1.08 (it has a yellow PCB). It uses the same south bridge as the SanteFeKM. I've been unable to find a manual or specifications for the board. If the hardware does not provide USB 2.0 support, then troubleshooting at the OS level will not enable USB 2.0 support, regardless of the OS, drivers, or controllers used. If anyone can find the specifications of the board, it might tell me if there's a potential for USB 2.0 support.

The south bridge reads:

VT82C686B

0116CD

13B700500

So it's a VT82C686B (manufactured in the 16th week of 2001, version 13B(?)). As with all 686B Southbridges, it has got no USB 2.0, so this settles it, in what regards your original question. See: Via Southbridge Chips.

However the KT*133* are the most problematic of all VIA's chipsetes, especially when using 686B Southbridges, so I feel I have to suggest you consider an upgrade of motherboard, and if you decide to remain using a VIA chipset based motherboard, I do strongly recommend those based on the VIA KT 600, which is the best chipset VIA made in that epoch. Now, if you intend to keep your current motherboard, make sure you are using the VIA 4in1 v. 4.56 driverset (or the VIA 4in1 v. 4.43 driverset, or any other one higher than v. 4.32, but lower than 4.60), since these driversets were created for working around the bugs described below. Of course, you may find out which version of the drivers you're already using, by looking at the string value "PACKAGE_VERSION", under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\VIA Technologies, Inc", in the registry.

For more info read these pages:

Crash Test: DMA Problems with VIA's 686B Southbridge: Part I, Part II, Part III, Parte IV.

Crash Test: Problems with VIA's KT133/KT133A (later, shorter but more general version in two parts of that same page above): Part I, Part II.

George Breese's Homepage