Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP1

Aaron

theoritically yes possible ; but u should name it

SP.exe /Q /O /N /Z

not

SP2.exe /Q /O /N /Z

to support more Service Packs in the future

but should I wonder if these switches are going to be supported forever !!!

any way I think this is convinient with network enviroment

u needn't slipstream ur cd every 2-3 years :)

u saved about 30 minutes of ur time in the next -say-3years :rolleyes:

Why do my updates keep showing up in Add/Remove Programs? I was sure I was doing it right. Here is my svcpack.inf file:

[Version] 
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\i386\Update"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
JS56NEN.exe /Q:A /R:N
823182.exe /Q /N /Z
823353.exe /Q:A /R:N
824105.exe /Q /N /Z
824141.exe /Q /N /Z
825119.exe /Q /N /Z
826939.exe /Q /N /Z
828035.exe /Q /N /Z
828741.exe /Q /N /Z
835732.exe /Q /N /Z
837001.exe /Q /N /Z
839645.exe /Q /N /Z
840315.exe /Q /N /Z
840374.exe /Q /N /Z
841873.exe /Q /N /Z
842773.exe /Q /N /Z
867801.exe /Q:A /R:N
DX9NTopk.exe
WMP9MM2.exe
828026.exe /Q /N /Z
qchain.exe

Am I doing something wrong there?

My fault :)

You have to remove the entries from the registry so the hotfixes don't appear in add/remove.

e.g.:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;Remove from Uninstall

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB823182][-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB824105]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB824141]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB825116]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB825119]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB826939]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB828035]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\oeupdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB832353]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\ieupdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Q828026]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB828741]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB835732]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB840374]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB839643]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB870669]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\oeupdate]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB839645]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB840315]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB840648]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB841873]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB842773]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\KB837001]

But I thought that the /O switch was only to "Overwrite OEM Files without prompting", thus speeding up the installation, but nothing else.

You were right in thinking that, he just suggested what he thought would solve the requested problem.

See here for a full list/explanation of hotfix switches - MS official.

Interesting note, providing I'm reading that page correctly...

New hotfixes (the update.exe kind) will support the /integrate switch... no need to run them manually - can just apply them to the source i386 folder.

V. V. interesting...

Interesting note, providing I'm reading that page correctly...

New hotfixes (the update.exe kind) will support the /integrate switch... no need to run them manually - can just apply them to the source i386 folder.

V. V. interesting...

The idea is V.V. nice, the implementation is not as great. XPCREATE is cleaner and more efficient. To see what I mean, try both methods on a single hotfix.