HFSLIP - Test releases

Tomcat76

I have seen this happen too… Trying to install IE8 again didn't work by the way, and I don't really know where to start debugging errors like this. :}

EDIT:

Empty dialog box:

Rundll32.exe shdocvw.dll, DoOrganizeFavDlg

Workaround:

Rundll32.exe ieframe.dll, DoOrganizeFavDlg

According to Microsoft there is a patch that fixes this issue.

Edited by CEoCEo

Yes, that's the information I found also in http://support.micro....com/kb/972582/

I've search the registry for "DoOrganizeFavDlg" but didn't found anything. So I think the call of the "organize favorites"-dialog is fix implemented in the explorer.exe. Not changable via registry-modification.

But in the kb-article I found a hint about the version of Shdocvw.dll which should fix this problem: 6.0.2900.5832

I'm not at home at the moment the check the installed version of Shdocvw.dll from a HFSLIP-XP-Installation. Probably another one can check if the most recent version of Shdocvw.dll is installed! smile.gif

CU, Mimo

-- edit --

I've checked it now at home: I have 6.0.2900.2987 installed. It's not the current version.

But I'm a little but surprised about the big step of the build-number from 2987 to 5832.

In MS09-054 it was written that 972582 (which fixes this bug) is included in MS09-054. MS09-054 was already replaced. But I think the latest Cumulative Sec Upd for IE should also have the newest Shdocvw.dll.

-- edit 2 --

Looked at this pages:

http://thehotfixshar...showtopic=13670

When IE8 is installed the newest shdocvw.dll will not be updated sad.gif

For information:

http://www.mskbfiles...shdocvw.dll.php

So, what shall we do? For me it seems we have to do further actions to install it. Probably HFSLIP can handle this or probably we can make a CAB or so to include it.

Hmmm...

-- edit 3 --

A way to a solution:

shdocvw.dll is NOT included in the IE8-version of MS10-002!!! mad.gif

I've extracted the shdocvw.dll (5921) from the IE6!!!-version of MS10-002 and replaced the existing shdocvw.dll (2897). After confirming the system-file-protection-question, registering the new dll and restarting the system I've got a working "organize favorites" called trom the windows explorer! smile.gif

But how to do it automatically? Using a CAB with the dll + inf inside? Using the REPLACE-folder? Any ideas? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Mim0

aj - if you install IE8 on top of what was slipstreamed, does that error still happen?

I'm sorry I kept you waiting tommyp.

I installed IE8 on top of the slipstreamed copy and it didn't help just as CEoCEo said and I'm glad Mim0 came up with a solution.

Thanks all of you for your efforts :D

Thanks for the investigation mimo. I was mentally preparing myself to redo the ie8 slipstream in its entirety. But you saved the day by IDing the error. Now, it seems that we have a msft messup on our hands. We've had plenty of msft messups before. I have to think of a way to codify things.

I had a dumb idea that seems to work. The way HFSLIP processes the IE8 slipstreaming is as follows. It extracts the installer and all the IE8 hotfixes. It places all those into a subfolder. Next, hfslip parses the rest of the hotfixes and puts them into another folder (i386e). After all the hotfixes are processed, hfslip takes the IE8 stuff and overwrites everything in the i386e folder. So, if the OS is looking for a component of the old IE6, then we'll force feed it. From my limited research, it seems that msft is trying to segregate IE from the OS. The file that mimo found seems to be a key one.

To get the organize favorites to work, add the MS10-002 IE6/XPSP3 hotfix to the HF folder. I have run this in combination of slipstreaming IE8. Things seem to work.

Can anyone else confirm?

[Mimo - you're the man. Thanks for your help!]

hehehe...

During walking with our dog I decided to put a workaround in my list and the file-checker. I just uploaded this a few seconds ago before reading this! :D (see my list)

If are any confirmations for this, I will change my list (again ;) ).

CU...

So just to be clear, tommyp says to add the MS10-002 IE6/XPSP3 hotfix to the HF folder, and Mim0 says to extract shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe and compress it with makecab.exe and put it in the REPLACE\I386 folder. Either way works? Will Mim0's file checker pick up either implementation correctly? tommyp's way seems easier, but Mim0's way seems "cleaner". I know the intention and end result should be the same. Can we get a unified consensus? And dumb question, I assume this applies to the use of the 1.7.9 version of HFSLIP in addition to the latest test release?

Cheers and Regards

Both will yield the same results. I prefer to get my binaries from msft and not from someone else. I'm not knocking mimo, but it's just my preference. It ain't the end of the world, it's a mistake that msft made. They've made plenty of them. You'd think a big corporation like msft will have checks and balances for this stuff.

Mimo,

I prefer tommyp's method for it's simplicity. I tried, but cannot make mimo's way work - for it I would need some additional instructions as I have not been able to Extract the .dll from the .exe

Thanks, Lilla

Edited by Lilla

So just to be clear, tommyp says to add the MS10-002 IE6/XPSP3 hotfix to the HF folder, and Mim0 says to extract shdocvw.dll from WindowsXP-KB978207-x86-ENU.exe and compress it with makecab.exe and put it in the REPLACE\I386 folder. Either way works? Will Mim0's file checker pick up either implementation correctly? tommyp's way seems easier, but Mim0's way seems "cleaner". I know the intention and end result should be the same. Can we get a unified consensus? And dumb question, I assume this applies to the use of the 1.7.9 version of HFSLIP in addition to the latest test release?

That was my idea before reading tommy's post. I've tested it and it works. I've added my first working approach also to the file-checker.

Both will yield the same results. I prefer to get my binaries from msft and not from someone else. I'm not knocking mimo, but it's just my preference. It ain't the end of the world, it's a mistake that msft made. They've made plenty of them. You'd think a big corporation like msft will have checks and balances for this stuff.

I put a link to the original MS-download not to another download-source. smile.gif

Mimo,

I prefer tommyp's method for it's simplicity. I tried, but cannot make mimo's way work - for it I would need some additional instructions as I have not been able to Extract the .dll from the .exe

use the commandline-parameter "/X:path", where "path" is the destination-folder for extraction.

Again, my way was my first idea, before reading tommy's solution. Of course it's easer to put the update as it is instead of extracting the update and compressing the shdocvw.dll.

Is tommy's idea working? Then I change my list!

CU & good night! biggrin.gif

--edit--

tommy's method is working also. I add this info...

Edited by Mim0

It might be a problem in my pc, becuase I downloaded FDV file set from another PC and it is fine.

I will redownload all the package and try again in other pc.

I used WinXP with all patches to do the hfslip.

I found another issue with my current hfslipped installation. I created two accounts while doing the installation: acctA, acctB, but when I start the system, and login in with any accoutn, there is no password needed. I have manually confige these two account to use password. Then I logged out, and click any of the account name, the passsword input edit box appeared, but couln't input anything in the box, there is no cursor in the box. then I pressed Ctrl-Alt-Del and get to classic login window, in where I can input password. and I logged in. Then I found out if I logout with switch user to other account, and Ctrl-Alt-Del and login, and logout with switch user, now I can input password in the password input box. after that the login window start working.

I re-downloaded all the fixes and redo the slip in a fresh installed another PC. The problem of "can't find wucltui.dll" is gone.

but there still has the issue of not able to input password in the login window.

And also there is no quick launch when first boot up, I have to enable quick launch, and then I will get desktop icons back.

The "fragged" sysoc.inf works fine and has been working fine since the inception of hfslip. Honestly, I don't see the point of defragging it. I suppose it could be good for users, and if it's good, they can incorporate their own hftools\post cmd file.