[How-to] - Windows XP Gamer's Edition

Aegis

the download file is just the configuration file, you need to download the windows embedded software which is rather large.

Well, thanks for the specifics which Aegis failed to mention.

You know what? When it goes final and is ready for public DL, I'll grab it, test it on another partition and see if I should eat my words.

Edited by Jeremy

@Jeremy

Companies do not decide the future of computing on their own; they listen to feedback from the users. And these companies don't just hire anyone. They hire people who are enthusiastic about technology: the very people who might've benched 20,000 on 3DMark06 :D. I don't want this thread to turn into a flaming contest, so I'll leave it to you to decide whether this project is worth your time or not.

Jeremy . . .

You might want to look into your services menu if you think everything in Windows helps you.

QoS RSVP = 20% of your bandwidth gone

Indexing Service = Useless Access of hardrive many times when in use slowing down performance

etc.

As for the whole corporate thing, hate to point this out man (hope Aegis don't get too upset with me responding to Jeremy's statements, seeing as how this may incite flaming :whistle: ), but the people who tweak, who mod, who come up with new ideas, who change the old ideas, who mess with the things in the system, are the innovates of the world.

I don't know if your aware but There were printing presses around for hundreds of years before Johann Gutenberg. But they all used hand carved wooden blocks to print out everything making it virtually impossible to mass produce books via press (only pictures). Then along came this guy, a virtual pauper nonetheless, thought, "hey what if we use pieces instead of one big block."

And viola--widespread printed books. He is the true founder of the information revolution because the worldwide information revolution begin with books and progressed into the Internet. In fact, he was recently named by discovery channel I believe it was, the most influential man in the world.

Why? Because he tinkered with the system, he decided he didn't like the way things were and tried changing something.

The same goes with every great invention in history. Ford with the Model T (not the first car, but the first to be mass produced thanks to his ingenuity).

The Wright Brothers with the plane (not the first by far to try building a flight machine, but the first to make one that got off the ground).

And the list goes on and on.

If we all just accepted things as they are, and never messed with anything society would never advance and we would still be living in the dark ages.

All the people we celebrate today didn't invent something new, they took an idea that had been around for a while, tinkered with it, and found a way to make it work better and benefit more people.

And while you may see me as a bit idealistic in viewing people like Aegis and Gdogg in that light, I believe that they are doing exactly the same thing as Ford and all the other great tinkerers. . . they're tinkering.

Edit:

Alright, sorry to all who read that, it ended up a bit longer than I intended :X

Edited by Sofer

so, for xp ge , you need to download, 5MB config file, 3.5GB of xpe files, run xpe (upto 1 min on certain computers) , load conifg file, spend upto 1 hour more, checking dependancies, and building image.

then re-install every 3 months, or buy xpe and a xp pro licence for every copy of xpe you install :P

Edited by gdogg

If it's faster or more functional for me (or faster than Microwin) I would go through the hassle. If I get a decent walkthrough to install it. Why not.

Good luck Aegis. Can't wait to try this.

BLAH BLAH BLAH... Thats all I'm hearing from all you bickery old women!

Let Aegis do the Windows XP Gamers Edition! If you don't like the idea, then don't bother commenting, its like the saying goes "If you don't have anything nice to say don't bother saying anything at all"...

People that put other peoples projects/ideas/dreams down are just trying to either push their projects/ideas/dreams up further, or they get satisfaction on ruining things!

god too many ppl defensive in here, from purely acceptable comments.

and in no way am I putting this project down, just tryin to figure out, whats going on.

my project is completly different from this, they arn't even after the same goal.

Its not like, im posting links to my project in here ...

lol, anyway, keep off my back. if I wasn't the creator of microwinX, I wouldn't be getting flamed like this.

@likwit - highly doubted

Edited by gdogg

My 2 cents:

Of course there are going to be problems. That's what the Beta testers are there for. To find problems, and to find solutions to those problems.

I don't understand what all the fuss is about concerning the missing DLLs, for example. When you write an english paper, do you turn in your first and only draft? Or do you go over it again and again and again, fixing mistakes and making sure the paper says exactly what you are trying to say?

It seems to me like XP GE is just another english paper; it's going to need lots of critiquing, but in the end it will turn out just the way Aegis wanted it (hopefully, atleast!).

As for why is another version of XP needed - why does one need AIM, MSN Messenger, GAIM, etc? Why so many? Why is there Reebok, Nike, New Balance, etc? We aren't robots and we all certainly don't like the same things. Variety is good. It helps keep the creative juices flowing. We all have different needs.

I'm sorry, I just thought it was a bit disrespectful for people to come into this thread and whine about "why is GE needed" or "but it's missing lots of DLLs".

No one says you will have to use GE. If you're interested, you'll be able to get it I'm sure and try it out. And if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. It's as simple as that.

so, for xp ge , you need to download, 5MB config file, 3.5GB of xpe files, run xpe (upto 1 min on certain computers) , load conifg file, spend upto 1 hour more, checking dependancies, and building image.

then re-install every 3 months, or buy xpe and a xp pro licence for every copy of xpe you install :P

There is no need to purchase a Pro licence for GE, just a $90 XPe licence

god too many ppl defensive in here, from purely acceptable comments.

and in no way am I putting this project down, just tryin to figure out, whats going on.

my project is completly different from this, they arn't even after the same goal.

Its not like, im posting links to my project in here ...

lol, anyway, keep off my back. if I wasn't the creator of microwinX, I wouldn't be getting flamed like this.

@likwit - highly doubted

In no way are you putting this project down, yet your response to likwit's post:

If it's faster or more functional for me (or faster than Microwin) I would go through the hassle. If I get a decent walkthrough to install it. Why not.

is "highly doubted."

Why isn't everyone supportive of each other? I don't get it.

If I want to hear a bunch of children bickering, I'll visit the nearest childcare center.

To those who are working to make Windows better for us users -- no matter what project you have -- many thanks. Keep up the great work.

And that's all I'll say. I'm done.

@Wicket yes, but you need to understand my experience in xpe.

ive been there, aegis has already stated what hes doing. xpe requires rebuilding in xpe, so lots of reinstalls for bug fixes, but thats normal in xpe.

this project is great, and he is gonna make it really good. As far as I can gather, hes getting support for everything, then switching to cmd for ui.

which will be fast, how cant it.

about the likwit response, he said something about my project, I said highly doubted, cause I do doubt it. cause I dont got his, and he dont got my project. I just got my experence in xpe, and \windows sizes to base it on.

@Gdogg

What I don't understand is why everyone comes along and overexaggerates the disadvantages of this project, while omitting all the good stuff :D. The download is not 3.5GB. It's closer to 1GB. The user won't need to build and rebuild images...I've done that for them. Dependency checks don't take an hour. Takes more like 5 minutes on a slow computer. Something around 2 minutes on a fast computer. Command prompt isn't the only option in XPE, you know ;). And the reason why everyone gets annoyed when anyone posts negative comments on the project is because they're usually misinformed and haven't read the last twenty pages of information.

Interesting reads:

http://www.bsquare.com/licenses/embeddedos...nxpembedpro.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/embedded/howtobuy/default.aspx

The development tools cost nearly a grand...but most users of GE won't need to use the development tools for longer than the evaluation period. As Bezalel mentioned, the cost for the runtime is $90.

Edited by Aegis