98 SE SP 3.32

Gape

Finally, I made my thesis presentation last Friday at school. :yes:

There are lots of internal changes in the service pack. The project is not dead.

There is an interesting problem that may be of interest for the next version of the service pack. If you install IE6.0sp1-KB912812 before you visit the Microsoft Update site you get an “administrators only” error message, this is because this update changes the way ActiveX components are run. This caused me some head scratching when I did a reinstall of Windows 98SE with sp2a and update files I had previously downloaded.

nicke85 is right. There has been no Service Pack for seven months.

Microsoft has published patchs for Windows 98 (which not concern IE6, DirectX, WMP 9 or MDAC 2.8 but rather the OS) since the 28th november.

Here is the list of the new updates on the windows update website :

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB908519) - (Posted Date: January 06, 2006) - Download size: 210 KB

Security Update for Flash Player (KB913433) - (Posted Date: May 11, 2006) - Download size: 543 KB

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB918547) - (Posted Date: June 08, 2006) - Download size: 145 KB

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB917344) - (Posted Date: June 09, 2006) - Download size: 328 KB

Why there is no new SP ?

Are you waiting the end of the support (on the 11th july) ?

I hope that the problem "windows 2000 theme" - that I've already mentionned - are resolved.

When will the next SP be published ?

Aww, c'mon guys. These are all voluntary contributions here. Don't push. Gape's already stated he's on top of things. I'm sure when he sees the final state of Microsoft's updates and has enough time, he'll get working on a new pack. For now, just using the pack along with the other resources linked to in these forums you can get a fully patched and secure 9x system all set up.

Good things come to those who wait (and don't pester).

There is an interesting problem that may be of interest for the next version of the service pack. If you install IE6.0sp1-KB912812 before you visit the Microsoft Update site you get an “administrators only” error message, this is because this update changes the way ActiveX components are run. This caused me some head scratching when I did a reinstall of Windows 98SE with sp2a and update files I had previously downloaded.

pjmelect, UNINSTALL KB912812 and install KB916281 and test out the Windows Update site with IE6 SP1. The KB916281 patch fixes the “administrators only” problem caused by KB912812.

nicke85 is right. There has been no Service Pack for seven months.

Microsoft has published patchs for Windows 98 (which not concern IE6, DirectX, WMP 9 or MDAC 2.8 but rather the OS) since the 28th november.

Here is the list of the new updates on the windows update website :

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB908519) - (Posted Date: January 06, 2006) - Download size: 210 KB

Security Update for Flash Player (KB913433) - (Posted Date: May 11, 2006) - Download size: 543 KB

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB918547) - (Posted Date: June 08, 2006) - Download size: 145 KB

Security Update for Windows 98 (KB917344) - (Posted Date: June 09, 2006) - Download size: 328 KB

Why there is no new SP ?

Are you waiting the end of the support (on the 11th july) ?

I hope that the problem "windows 2000 theme" - that I've already mentionned - are resolved.

When will the next SP be published ?

GOSH DARN IT, Big Monstro and nicke85, CANT YOU GUYS JUST FREAKIN' WAIT? Gape is very busy right now.

• 2 weeks later...

@Gape,

Is there any way to include an updated version of msvcp50.dll.

98SE includes version 5.0.0.7022, but I have seen a version 5.0.0.7051 on the internet.

If you can't find a link, let me know and i'll send you one.

the_guy

@Gape,

Is there any way to include an updated version of msvcp50.dll.

98SE includes version 5.0.0.7022, but I have seen a version 5.0.0.7051 on the internet.

If you can't find a link, let me know and i'll send you one.

the_guy

This version is part of Windows 2000, Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 operating systems but AFAIK it is not available to people who did not bought them.

BTW, the "string" file version is 5.00.7051.

Petr

A quick google for msvcp50.dll shows a download link for that version. Mind you, it is at a DLL archive.

I think it might also be part of VS 5 SP2 (can anyone find a download link?)

the_guy

A quick google for msvcp50.dll shows a download link for that version. Mind you, it is at a DLL archive.

I think it might also be part of VS 5 SP2 (can anyone find a download link?)

the_guy

You can download from the web full Windows distribution, just use Google... but this is not the way chosen for the unofficial support pack.

msvcp50.dll should be part of Microsoft Visual C++ 5.0, this is part of Visual Studio 97, I was able to locate direct download links from Microsoft - but Visual Studio 97 Service Pack 3 does not contain msvcp50.dll fiale at all.

Petr