Switchless Silent Installers, RVM/nLite Addons, .MSI Files

RogueSpear

Update - 20060303

Updated AutoGordianKnot to V2.27

Could you make a switchless uninstaller for SPTD please. I wish to add it to WPI for future proofing. Just in case I don't want it installed by default at a later date (T-12 install->WPI Uninstall).
My installer for SPTD puts the genuine SPTD installer executable inside %SystemRoot% just for the purpose of uninstalling it. I forget what the command line argument is, but it's easy enough to get with a /? switch. So to answer your question, there really is no need for a switchless uninstaller.

Hi;

on my configuration, I've had to add 2 merge modules for Desktop Sidebar to install correctly.

The modified package can be found here: http://repository.windowsdream.com/Applica...1.05.111-EN.exe

(unzip with 7-zip if you want to get the MSI directly).

MS C Runtime Library 7.1

MS C++ Runtime Library 7.1

Regards,

Natan

http://www.windowsdream.com

winrar installers run also better
What exactly are you basing that statement on? I've made installers using both and really fail to see any difference in their execution.

Your installers install they way you made them.

For example daemontools , in the CDR folder

I like my apps to be installed in the default directory.

With winrar everyone can make his own installers much quicker , and default.

This makes you installers no longer nessesary , atleast for me.

Nice job you did dont get me wrong here, i realy admire your work.

But , with winrar enybody can do this with few clicks.....

Indeed, I often have applications install to somewhere other than default. I just don't see the need for a couple hundred individual directories inside of %programfiles%. More importantly, I often repackage applications in order to get the settings the way I want them. Whether it's for enhanced security or privacy, or to just get rid something annoying like ads.

The other benefit of course is file size. Whichever compression product gives me the smaller size is what I use for any given installer. I'm definately not loyal to one or the other, but if you can figure out how to make an installer with WinRAR, then you certainly shouldn't have a problem making one with 7-Zip. Yea it tends to go quicker making them with WinRAR. Sheer laziness and having no pride in your work is what would lead someone to never investigate all possibilities.

This makes you installers no longer nessesary , atleast for me.

Nice job you did dont get me wrong here, i realy admire your work.

But , with winrar enybody can do this with few clicks.....

It's real easy to make 7-zip installers to. I think this command will come in handy to you because it doesn't seem like you know how to check 7-zip installers and that's what your basing your opinion on.

find /I "Runprogram=" *.exe

Run this in cmd to see install switches. *.exe path to 7-zip sfx.

Nice one RogueSpear :)

I think your VB script for checking the Bios for VMware strings is faster than the wmic implementation that I was using :whistle:

Well just for the record, in a batch script this one also works for me (after declaring %cdrom% somewhere):

FOR /F "tokens=1 delims=-" %%i IN ('%SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\wmic.exe BIOS GET SerialNumber ^| FINDSTR /c:"VMware"') DO (IF "%%i" == "VMware" start /wait %cdrom%\oem\VMwareTools.exe)

CF

I made a silent ICQ Lite (v5.04) installation that:

1.) Removes & deletes the toolbar that is normally installed during an /S install

2.) Removes the ad banners in the program and message windows

3.) Deletes the extra unneeded shortcuts that are created on the desktop and on top of the start menu

4.) Deletes the default sounds. I did this because I hate the foghorn sound and "uh-oh" sounds. If you want the sounds, you can edit icq.bat in the archive, remove the line that deletes the sounds and then re-add the batch file to the archive.

I haven't seen a package like this on MSFN, so if someone already created one then ignore my post. For all 5 of you, including me, that still use ICQ here it is:

http://rapidshare.de/files/15924536/ICQ.exe.html

It could probably shrink another 1MB if it were made into a 7zip package, but I prefer WinRAR.

Edited by x243

Update - 20060321

Removed DVD43 V3.7.0

Removed DVDFab Decrypter V2.9.7.2

Removed DVD Decrypter V3.5.4.0

Removed DVD Shrink V3.2.0.15

Removed EULAlyzer V1.1

Removed Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta V1.0.701

Removed Microsoft Photostory 3

Removed Paint.NET V2.6 was a POS installer - use the installer by godan

Removed PowerToy - Color Control Panel Applet

Removed PowerToy - RAW Image Viewer V1.0 Build 50

Removed PowerToy - SyncToy V1.0.0.64

Removed Spybot - Search & Destroy V1.4

Removed SpywareBlaster V3.5.1

Removed Winamp V5.21

Removed Windows Defender V1.1.1051 Beta 2

Removed Windows Journal Viewer V1.5

I guess I didn't realize how many people use these things. After so many requests, I've decided to keep most of the installers up. I am taking down some of them down however. Anything that is not free, could get me in hot water with the MPAA, requires a WGA check to download from Microsoft, or has a - generally speaking - creepy EULA, is no longer available.

Well I included the script because what it does it check the BIOS strings for "VMware", to verify that your install is being done in a VM as opposed to a real computer. For testing purposes, to make sure this thing will work for you, why don't you just hard code calling the file from RunOnceEx, so you know it'll run. Also, I didn't mention this before (probably need to do an edit), but this version of VMware Tools is for the latest release version (V5). I don't know if it would work in earlier versions or the more recent beta releases (V5.5).

Hello RogueSpear,

Can i suggest an enhancement to the VMWareTools script (I have been using this and it works wonderfully - thanks for your hard work!) - The suggestion i have is that you run the script to check if VMWare is present, and if it is it installs the tools (just as it does now), however can there be an additional option that if it is not present you can then run the VMWare installer to install VMWare?

I personally would find this very useful. Not being a VB programmer i am not sure how to go about this...

Old:

If Left(objBIOS.SerialNumber(i),6) = "VMware" Then
If fs.FileExists(OEM & "\VMWareTools.exe") Then ws.Run(OEM & "\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True
End If

New:

If fs.FileExists(OEM & "\VMWareTools.exe") Then ws.Run(OEM & "\VMWareTools.exe"),0,True
Else
If fs.FileExists(OEM & "\VMWareWorkstation.exe") Then ws.Run(OEM & "\VMWareWorkstation.exe"),0,True
End If

Old:

End If

New:

Else
If fs.FileExists(OEM & "\VMWareWorkstation.exe") Then ws.Run(OEM & "\VMWareWorkstation.exe"),0,True
End If

Thankyou very much - that works a treat!