Mozilla to add BitTorrent support like Opera

SiMoNsAyS

The goal of the MozTorrent Project is to create a powerful but simple interface to BitTorrent downloads. To meet this goal are producing two products depending upon a users needs:

MozTorrent Plugin

The MozTorrent plugin will be a small and simple add-on for Mozilla Firefox (and later the Mozilla Suite as well) to seamlessly handle BitTorrent downloads. The ultimate goal is to make it as easy to download torrents as downloading from the web in Mozilla. MozTorrent will be configured through the preferences window and downloads will be shown and controlled through the download manager.

Watermonkey

Watermonkey will be a stand alone application (similar to Firefox and Thunderbird) for handling torrents. While the MozTorrent Plugin will provide functionality needed for most users, Watermonkey will provide a more detailed GUI and greater flexibility for power users.

Visit Project Page

Two cents:

- There is a bug around integrating .torrent tightly into Mozilla Firefox, but it hasn't been confirmed or really discussed in any way. They want to leave it for an extension, and for a user to pick.

- Enter MozTorrent, an extension you install. Too bad I haven't really seen much progress in this extension lately.

Anyway, whatever, I think that .torrent isn't meant for browsers. Dot. Azureus > All. :)

• 2 weeks later...
Why do good open-source projects tends to become as "gadgetfull" as MS application ???

dunno where you're getting that impression. firefox (v1.06) is a 1.45 MB installer. by itself, FF is pretty stripped down. YOU add what YOU want with plugins, extensions, etc.

It is bloat and I don't want it in my default browser. That's the beauty of Firefox, you install what you want. Need anything else? Install an extension.

I don't see the point of having BitTorrent integrated in my browser. It's not like it's the same as FTP/HTTP. I prefer a fully configured Azureus.

God, what would it be if I downloaded a 9GB file with FF. :P