All-in-One Guru

Actually the latest release of PowerPacker just about does all of this. The new version of powerpacker allows users to run custom scripts at different areas of the Packing process. Which opens doors to Slipstreaming service packs... calling Nlite... Integrating RyanVMs packs... etc etc... so on and so fourth. I have nothing against your program at all... as we are all coders. Just wanted to point out that... that is actually what PowerPacker is intended to do. The current version has only XP options... but further releases will integrate other versions. All I have to do is add another radio button or two. ;)

Actually the latest release of PowerPacker just about does all of this.  The new version of powerpacker allows users to run custom scripts at different areas of the Packing process.  Which opens doors to Slipstreaming service packs... calling Nlite...  Integrating RyanVMs packs... etc etc... so on and so fourth.  I have nothing against your program at all... as we are all coders.  Just wanted to point out that... that is actually what PowerPacker is intended to do.  The current version has only XP options... but further releases will integrate other versions. All I have to do is add another radio button or two. ;)

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on a PM from you ;):P

Actually the latest release of PowerPacker just about does all of this.  The new version of powerpacker allows users to run custom scripts at different areas of the Packing process.  Which opens doors to Slipstreaming service packs... calling Nlite...  Integrating RyanVMs packs... etc etc... so on and so fourth.  I have nothing against your program at all... as we are all coders.  Just wanted to point out that... that is actually what PowerPacker is intended to do.  The current version has only XP options... but further releases will integrate other versions. All I have to do is add another radio button or two. ;)

Speaking of which, I'm still waiting on a PM from you ;):P

LOL! Checking the RVM site now Sensai! :hello:

Isn't the idea of these forums to make the ultimate unattended Windows XP CD or DVD.

I think everyone should be encouraging him rather than putting him down etc. From what I have read he shows no disrespect to anyone.

I say best of luck, I am an IT Professional and we use various ways of deploying OS such as Ghost and SMS but I am always on the lookout for new ways of doing things etc.

I will be happy to beta test for you.

:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Looks like you guys scared him away. :(

Well, good luck buddy! Just ignore them "idiots" ! :P

I ment nothing by idiots...was not directed at anyone in general...though if you bothered to read this then you might want to get your head checked out haha :lol:

Edited by war59312

@Allanol:

You said you dont like nLite evolution for being more than what its name entails. Is WinRAR only what its name implies? Most programs get born with a main idea (and so show their names), but as the time passes, programmers see the necessity of adding more features to their apps without killing its main purpose (slimming down Windows, in the case of nLite). What's the problem in that? I think most of nLite users have seen this evolution as a great one. Also, many people asked for adding new features to nLite, such as adding 3rd party apps to the installation, adding custom regtweaks, etc...So, the possibility of making an "all-in-one" has been in nuhi's hands before.

And one more thing: I think all of us have been "idiots" some time, for example when trying to learn and that's what people do in coming to MSFN ("Where people go to know").

@atomizer:

Yes, MJC has the perfect right to develop such an app. But he said he's gonna develop it in 6 months! And the first thing he did was asking nuhi for nLite code. Is it fair coming to a forum, saying that your app is going to "demolish" all others, and then asking for code? I have my doubts. And of course, nuhi and others has the perfect right to defend their apps if they think their ideas have been threatened.

Anyway, good luck for him. He's going to need it.

Edited by XPero

You said you dont like nLite evolution for being more than what its name entails. Is WinRAR only what its name implies? Most programs get born with a main idea (and so show their names), but as the time passes, programmers see the necessity of adding more features to their apps without killing its main purpose (slimming down Windows, in the case of nLite). What's the problem in that? I think most of nLite users have seen this evolution as a great one. Also, many people asked for adding new features to nLite, such as adding 3rd party apps to the installation, adding custom regtweaks, etc...So, the possibility of making an "all-in-one" has been in nuhi's hands before.

And one more thing: I think all of us have been "idiots" some time, for example when trying to learn and that's what people do in coming to MSFN ("Where people go to know").

Point taken.

Perhaps i should define my usage of "idiots". I mean it as a term to describe people who don't want to help themselves and want everything done for them. I didn't mean it in the sense that they were not intelligent or that sort of thing. I'm not going to name names, but oh says like someone asking the forum members to write a complete script for them without even starting it on their own. I see these "idiots" as i call everywhere on the forum, so NO it's not just an nLite problem.

My intention is certainly not to hurt anyone's feelings, simply to develop an application for which I see a need.

@nuhi: I'm sorry you feel that I'm writing this program to spite you, I assure you, I'm not. I salute you and your efforts. Without you and everyone else here at MSFN I'd be wasting my time waiting on Windows installs.

@Alanoll: I see this tool as being for the developer of a specific toolset rather than for an end user.

For example

• A hardware developer wants to include his own drivers in a Windows installation, for example a new SCSI controller chipset. He creates an info.xml file describing his driver, and AIOG modifies the files accordingly.
  • A software developer wants to provide his own stripped down version of Windows. He provides a list of the APIs he needs access to, and AIOG strips down everything except his desired APIs and their dependancies.
  • A system integrator wants to provide an automatically updating Remote Installation Services image with the latest drivers and hotfixes for testing with his software/hardware configurations. He provides an info.xml describing his RIS configurations, and it runs via at or cron to update RIS images once per week.

These people by no means should be expected to be unable to help themselves if the program does not work as expected. In fact, the fact that AIOG will be open source gives them the opportunity to look through the code and see step-by-step exactly what it has done.

They can also modify it to suit their own needs and submit patches if they so desire.

I would like most for people to have ground to stand on when they create new and exciting modifications instead of having to code it from scratch.

I appreciate everyone's input and I would like to remind you all that I am doing my best to aid the MSFN community and, in turn, the rest of the world.

I apologize if I have angered or upset anyone and I would be glad to talk it out with anyone that feels this way.

Edited by mjc

Good luck to ya mjc...I hope your app turns out as planned. I find it rather odd to see such strife in this post, even after reading all eight pages. Seems to me like there is a little bit of a p***ing contest going on here.

All the programs here are indeed useful, but the problem that most seem to come up with when you make an Unattended Multi-Boot DVD, or any other contraption, is that you have to use multiple tools to create it. That in and of itself isn't a problem, but what happens when you get an error? You get bounced all over the place or flamed or just flat-out ignored. If you had one application that did it all, then the diagnosis portion would be extremely streamlined.

If you need more beta testers then I'm game...got about fifteen different configurations I could load it on.

MJC: :thumbup I happen to believe that one can never have too many tools.

The whole point of these forums is one of helping one another over the rough spots in trying to accomplish what we want to. And although this means there may be some duplication of function between this and other tools, that's OK.

It's like any other evolutionary process in technology, the better/stronger products survived and the unsupported older products will disappear. And it could be like a lot of the electronic kitchen-sink gizmos around. They do a lot of things, but do none of them particularly well, like some of the all-in-one digital camera/webcam/MP3 Player, etc toys. These are nice if you don't want to have to carry around several devices, but there are many better items in each class available separately. I'll withhold my judgement of his project until I've actually tried it.

This program sounds to me like it may be a good thing, with enough attention to detail on the pieces of it, and actually integrating all the intended/mentioned functionality into it. There will always be those that would rather use separate tools for the various tasks in making an unattended install. But, there are also those who think that it would be nice to have only one file format to try and learn, and only one interface to become accustomed to.

I think there is still room for this and perhaps some other tools in this category. If they work well, I will try them.

Here's the point... Let the man create his new tool. Don't discourage him from trying to create a better mousetrap. Help him if you can, and when he is done, if you don't like what he has created, don't use it. It's as simple as that. Don't like it... Don't use it.

From what I have read here, MJC is creating this program as much for himself as for anyone else, and is offering to share it with all of us, plus asking for any assistance that anyone can give. Who knows, some of the creators of the more special-purpose programs around may actually find some useful features and ideas from MJC's development process he is sharing here. I'm not flaming anyone with this post, I'm just saying we should reserve judgement until the product is actually in existance. The man is trying to give back to the community here by sharing what he is creating. Nothing wrong with that.

-- Steve Olson