All-in-One Guru

Very ambitious. It will be awesome if it lives up to the intention.

People shouldn't be hostile for the potential this will make other programs obsolete. Down the line results will speak for themselves and people will use the program or set of programs that they feel the best is for them.

seeing as the work is already largely done, if I had enough cooperation from {nuhi, ryan, etc) it would really not be too hard.  my timelimit is 6 months anyways.. so tis not a weekend hack..

Cooperation meaning help of any kind (programming, docs, source, candy...) of course. By no means do I expect anyone to just sit back and watch if they do not want to.

I wouldn't hold your breath on getting help from many of them. They'll answer questions i'm sure, but i doubt they'll give you detailed information on how to recreate what they did (or in the case of nuhi, opening up the source).

I'd be willing to help you work on integrating my stuff through your program, but not to actually create it from scratch.

awesome; I'm working on giving this beast some structure at the moment.

side note, anyone want to design a gui for this thing? I'm terrible at that stuff.

I've set up a homepage here: http://325i.org/projects/allinoneguru

Write access to it is open to anyone that wants it, assuming they can help of course =) and as soon as there's some feasible code I'll be posting nightly binaries and source.

Edited by mjc

I've decided to use XML to describe all of the hand-made AIOG addons.

Here is a Sample Silent Install Description File.

Any suggestions?

Code-wise I'm currently working on a slipstreamer. I've managed to implement cabinet , 7zip, and rar extraction via the appropriate DLLs. As soon as it's actually usable I will post the source and a binary for testing.

One application to rule them all,

One topic to find them.

One webpage to bring them all

And in the darkness bind them.

Sounds like i've already heard that... :whistle:

That's an amazing project mjc, and I hope you'll succeed ! :thumbup:

You're talking about slipstreaming : i suppose you mean "service pack slipstreaming" ; or are you working on a "native" method to replace update.exe ?

bye

One application to rule them all,

One topic to find them.

One webpage to bring them all

And in the darkness bind them.

Sounds like i've already heard that...

:whistle:

That's an amazing project mjc, and I hope you'll succeed ! :thumbup:

You're talking about slipstreaming : i suppose you mean "service pack slipstreaming" ; or are you working on a "native" method to replace update.exe ?

bye

service packs first, one thing at a time my friend =)

this sounds like a great project and if it would have auto support for deploying stuff at t-12 it would surely be a valuable tool like dirtwarrior said. Best of luck to ya! If you need a tester Id be glad to help, got a laptop and pc :)