MCT

What do u think of it?  

105 members have voted

1. 1. What do u think of it?

• Great
    • Ok
    • Its ok I wouldnt use it though
    • It Sucks!

I like the real time scanning or active shield... (I forgot what they call it) component of MSASbeta1.

Pretty cool how it does that automatically. Kinda like antivirus for spyware.

I know Spybot S&D's tea timer does something similar, but I think MS' catches more TYPES of things real time. I said types cuz they all catch something the others miss (and they all miss something).

I just ran it (MSAS) tonight (well last night technically) on a clients PC and of the 20k files it scanned..... over 30% were infested! And almost as many registry entries were hit. Mostly what gain changed its name to, along with something called iMesh. I ran something else and it found 100 more entries (mostly cookies). MS still missed a few things, but pretty much removed it all. Although newdotnet's .dll had to be manually removed from start part of registry to keep windows from whining.

Now if they could comeout with a firewall that'll intelligently handle "generic host services". I have no idea what to say to that when it comes up.

• 1 month later...

Microsoft's AntiSpyware is okay, but I doubt I'll continue using it.

I use TightVNC on my intranet and MSAS considered TightVNC to be spyware. At least it didn't automatically remove/ban TightVNC, I was worried about that.

I think I'll stick with what I'm more familliar with and had no problems with, and that's AdAware. I've been using AdAware for about ten years now (okay, only a year but it feels like ten) with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like it. I find that it does a better job if you have it on your system before you get spyware. I've encountered some systems where I just gave up and reloaded when Adaware, Spybot, and MSAS were unable to clean the system. I haven't seen any problems on systems that already had it loaded in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

:realmad:

NOT GOOD!!!

An "antispyware community" sounds good, but it doesn't work when Microsoft is partners with spyware or intrusive software companies. I have been recommending to my clients for the last 3 weeks to use the Microsoft product exclusively and remove the AdAware and Spybot combo I had recommended before. I’ve had several calls about this Incredimail installer that tries to run every time someone logs in. I went through registry removal steps, but it came back the next day…… MS Antispyware wouldn’t see it….Hmmmmmmmm I checked the Incredimail site and Vwalla’ Microsoft Partner! Immaginie that. So I reinstalled SpyBot (also free) and the results were surprising. Look what Microsoft missed!

This product needs more than work….. Sounds like Microsoft is playing favorites with spyware vendors. So what else is new… Thanks again Bill!

sc2.jpg

sc1.jpg

WHOAH !!!!!!!

Not surprising, Incredimail is back. I'm finding that since it's certicied by MS, many antispyware programs overlook it. But it doesn't have an uninstall, causes pop-ups to install for every user at every login and here's the kicker.... Please pass this along! Here's an paragraph from incredimail's privacy policy (EULA):

"10. UNSOLICITED MATERIALS

Any confidential, secret or proprietary information or other material submitted or sent to

IncrediMail, including without limitation via any Message sent by You through the Service,

Site, or IncrediMail's physical mail and e-mail addresses, or in any other way, will be

deemed to be not confidential or secret. By submitting or sending information or other

material to IncrediMail or by posting information on any portion of the Service you

(a) Warrant that you have all rights of any kind to the material and that to the best of

your knowledge no other party has any rights to the material; and (B) Grant IncrediMail

an unrestricted, perpetual, irrevocable license to use, reproduce, display, perform, modify,

transmit and distribute the material, and you further agree that IncrediMail is free to use

any ideas, know-how, concepts or techniques you send us or post on the Service for any

purpose, without any compensation to you or any other person."

C'mon Billy, What are you thinking ??????????????????

It is common these days to create partnerships with spyware vendors, I must say I am quite scared about this. For example Spybot got "partnership" with Hotbar...

BTW about entries in spybot, it dont need to mean anything - for example I after removing ASEP point keep the spyware files - most spyware check before installing and if it found its files, it will skip installations. So if you found something on your computer after cleaning it (with anything, spybot, msas etc.), dont blame your antispyware product :)

• 2 weeks later...