New Features of Version 2.0

Gape

Can some one upload browseui.dll, browselc.dll and shdocvw.dll for Internet Explorer 5.5 Service Pack 2 (KB867282), I dont have winme, so cannot get these files.
No need. You can d/l the MS fix here [MS IE 5.5 SP2 Patch for Windows ME]:

http://www.mdgx.com/ietoy.htm#BRO

Then open it in PowerArchiver or WinZip:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#ZIP

to extract the files.

Why not insert some enhancements like:

LSPFix, WinSockFix, PrcView, Extended WinIPCfg

They are small apps and help for cleaning from some ad-spy apps that modify reg entries (LSPFix+WinSockFix), they are useful to kill some processes (PrcView) and to add more functions to WinIPCfg.

I see that, but I was saying that after installing the 2  - 5.5 files, I was asked again to dl the security update, in which one of the 2 files would end up replaced again....so I was talking about having to REINSTALL KB867282....

vicious circle though, eh?

who cares if WU asks you to reinstall the KB867282 patch. I don't give a ****.

so just don't pay attention to WU if you already installed the KB867282 update.

If I myself already know I installed that update, replace the two files you mentioned

and then visit WU and it tells me to install KB867282, I IGNORE WU because I

already installed the security patch. I'm smarter than that!

nah error_404. may want to include the enhancements you suggested into

Tihiy's Revolutions pack.

for those who are wondering if Microsoft will ever release a new standalone version of Internet Explorer. There WILL be an IE7 but it will be compatible with WinXP SP2 only.

see Paul Thurrott's Supersite for Windows article on IE7:

http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/ie7_preview_1.asp

read 'em and weep boys! fat chance of IE7 working under Win9xME, 2000 and NT4. :(

IE6 SP1 for Win98/ME will still be supported by MS until june 30, 2006. no more

security patches for IE6 SP1 under Win98/ME will be made after that date.

IE6 SP1 for Win2k sp3-sp4/xp sp1 will be supported until MS abandons support

for Win2k sp3/sp4 and WinXP Sp1. Win2000 is supported 'til june 30, 2010.

Luckily I have Firefox 1.01 (just released yesterday), Mozilla 1.75 and Opera 8.0 beta 1

installed on my brother's xp machine and on my WinME machine. Mozilla 1.76 will

be out soon and so will the beta releases of Firefox 1.1 and Mozilla 1.8. Check the

Mozilla.org site on upcoming releases.

not really Tihiy. Windows 9x/Me and Windows 2000 do NOT use same IE6 SP1 code

with some IE6 SP1 files. look in the iew2k_1.cab, iew2k_2.cab and so on files and

look in the ie_s1.cab, ie_s2.cab and so on files. you'll see what I mean.

Why do Win98/ME users get "hanging" problems with IE6 Sp1 when deleting a very

large number of files in Windows Explorer?

And why do Win2000 users NOT get "hanging" problems with IE6 Sp1 when deleting

large number of files in Windows Explorer.

and besides, jasinwa, the IE 5.5 sp2 browseui.dll file version 5.50.4807.2300 has

PLENTY of security flaws. I don't use that one if I were you. I get browseui.dll file

from the 'other' KB867282 update (the IE 5.5 Sp2 kb867282 patch). The newer

browseui.dll file from IE 5.5 Sp2 kb867282 update is version 5.50.4948.700 and

fixes a lot of security bugs.

In setup files - maybe; but latest cumulative updates files for IE6 SP1 are fully compatible with 98 and 2000. Windows 9x is limited by nature, and memory leaks are fatal for it, but 2k not - that's the point for hanging.

The latest cumulative IE 6 SP1 updates have the same files for Win98, 2000, ME, NT4 & XP SP1

BUT the Win2k/XP SP1 version of the IE6 SP1 KB867282 update uses a vastly different

setup file (update.exe) to install IE6 SP1 files AND the update will no longer appear in

the IE6 SP1 'About' dialog box. The Win98/ME version of the IE6 SP1 KB867282 update uses

ieupdate.exe to install the files and does display the update in the IE6 SP1 dialog box.

See question 'Why are the command line installation switches different for Windows 2000 and Windows XP operating systems for this release when compared to MS04-025: Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer?' by expanding the 'Frequently asked questions (FAQ) related to this security update' section of security bulletin MS05-014:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/...n/MS05-014.mspx

Also see the 'Security Update Information' section of that article and expand all details.

But least the updated files are exactly the same (meaning binarily identical) for IE6 SP1

for both versions of the updates.

Reading MS article 867282:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/867282

if you want the IE6 SP1 update to install the 'RTMQFE' version of the updated files

add this registry entry in Registry Editor:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\QFEInstalled

QFEInstalled should be a DWORD value and set it to 1. If QFEInstalled is set to 0 or

does not exist, the IE6 SP1 update will install the 'RTMGDR' version of the updated

files. If it is 1 or higher than the update will install the 'RTMQFE' version.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This is my first time posting, so I want to make sure I say this first and say it good: This service pack project is THE BEST thing to happen to ANY M$ product EVER. I've been using it for client PC builds and it has helped build my company. Thanks to this pack, I can actually rollout "reliable" M$ systems.

Now that I've said that, I have noticed one thing that makes my users hesitant to stick with 98SE+SP vs. the XP beast. It simply boils down to aesthetics - "XP is prettier" is the common thread. My thinking is that since this is a +1 upgrade, it would be cool if one of the major features was an enhanced interface. In the world of funky shells, many programs are doing this - XP with its huge buttons, WindowBlinds (at a cost of course) to 98, and of course KDE with Linux.

I like the idea of the animated "98SE" splash screen at boot, but I would really like to see the entire shell improved. btw - The theme of Windows2000 is a great start.

Keep up the unbelievable work!

-Scott.

It simply boils down to aesthetics - "XP is prettier" is the common thread.

*steps up on soapbox*

Personally, I think the XP UI looks like a f**king clown car. Who thought that purple, orange, blue, red, and green was a good color scheme? Hell, while they were at it, they should have thrown in some fuschia. It sure couldn't make it uglier. And what's up with the ridiculously large window close, minimize, and maximize controls?

*steps down*

Superscotty19

Give them a pre-build appearence sheme that looks nice (even no SP needed for that).

I made myself a sheme with peach windows, and gree-blue to dark-blue fade away in the title bar.

Then I installed Eppie and I added my nicely colored self-made control buttons.

It looks terrific. I even didn't install the 2000 themes from the SP.

You can also give the opposite effect by selecting "High Contrast White" or "High Contrast Black" sheme. :thumbup

Check also Tihy's Revolution Pack. Sounds promising...