Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP2

Can someone please explain the hotfix 'KB884020' in plain English for some of us who cannot understand the more complicated stuff. How do we install this, can we do it thru svcpack.inf and if so what switches to use?

Thanks.

KB884020.exe /integrate:c:\xpcd

Adjust the filenames/paths accordingly

After doing this, my already existing svcpack.inf file got modified:

SVCPACK.INF before integrating 'WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe':

[Version]
Signature="$Windows NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\HOTFIXES"

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
netfxsp1.exe
scripten.exe /Q:A /R:N
HMTCDWizard_enu.exe /QN
Q873374.exe /Q:A /R:N
qchain.exe

SVCPACK.INF after integrating 'WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe':

[Version]
Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
MajorVersion=5
MinorVersion=1
BuildNumber=2600

[SetupData]
CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

KB884020.cat

[SetupHotfixesToRun]
KB884020.exe /q /n /z
netfxsp1.exe
scripten.exe /Q:A /R:N
HMTCDWizard_enu.exe /QN
Q873374.exe /Q:A /R:N
[CatalogHeader]

I have two questions:

Firstly, if you notice 'qchain.exe got removed, why is that and should I add it back or not?

Secondly, do I now delete the '\I386\HOTFIXES' folder and move all the files (netfxsp1.exe, scripten.exe, HMTCDWizard_enu.exe, Q873374.exe, qchain.exe) from it to the new 'I386\SVCPACK' folder?

Thanks.

1.) qchain isn't needed for post-SP2 hotfixes (heck, most post-SP1 hotfixes don't need it either)

2.) yes, moving them into svcpack is probably a good idea

3.) I've got something brewing (once I've tested it to satisfaction) which will greatly simplify all of this ;)

3a.) With that said, if any of you guys actually use HighMAT (not just install it), please send me a PM so you can test some stuff for me.

3b.) Anybody know of a good way to verify that MSXML 4.0 SP2 is installed and working properly?

KB884020.exe /integrate:c:\xpcd

Adjust the filenames/paths accordingly

Okay, I did this and now I have these updated/new files in i386

tcpip.sys

DOSNET.INF

svcpack.inf

svcpack {FOLDER} 517 KB

branches.inf

HFINT.dat

KB884020.cat

KB884020.exe

Here's my noobish question, Now that the tcpip.sys is updated,

I looked at the svcpack.inf,

[CatalogHeader]

[Version]

BuildNumber=2600

MinorVersion=1

MajorVersion=5

Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB884020.exe /q /n /z

KB884020.cat

I'm a little bit confuse as to why KB884020.exe needs to run again?

I thought by using that /integrate switch it's becomes integrated.

No?? :unsure:

Following along the same line of thought, future *.cat and *.exe in svcpack can be deleted to save space? :unsure:

Ques 2: Will my CD install correctly if I leave tcpip.sys as is or do I need to modifype and makecab?

Ques 3: I expanded RyanVM's TCPIP.SY_ and did a MD5 comparison with the integrated method and their checksum are not the same? :huh:

Anyways I like this site a lot. Discovered it only about a month ago. So much stuff to take in, but it's been fun learning.

My version is patched to allow 100 concurrent connections (from 10). Also, TCPIP.SY_ indicates that it's been compressed. You can't directly compare a .sy_ file to a .sys file.

The EXE still needs to be run so that the necessary registry entries are created for the hotfixes (for now, anyway ;))

ModifyPE is only needed if you're modifying files in order to correct the CRC header. I'm pretty sure that Microsoft puts the correct checksums on their files ;).

You can makecab the file if you want, it won't hurt anything.

After integrating 'WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe', do I (can I) replace the updated 'tcpip.sys' file in the \I386 folder with the RyanVM patched version?

yes, that should work (but I think the EXE will actually copy the old tcpip.sys back over when it runs from svcpack.inf - an annoying drawback...for now :D)

Ok I used /integrate on WindowsXP-KB884020-x86-enu.exe and integrated it on the CD. I assume this means that if I install XP using this CD KB884020 will be already installed. People are talking about an EXE...what is that for?

Using the /integrate flag creates a folder in your i386 directory called svcpack. Take a look inside ;)