Hotfixes For Windows XP Professional SP2

REG.EXE is really not bad, though not available in Windows 2000.

Here's what I'm thinking (and now's the best time to do it since there's only two real hotfixes for SP2 thus far): Keep track of and makecab all of the hotfixed files, which can be put directly in i386. Then keep an INF with the registry entries to be added for each hotfix (mostly just HKLM\blah\Hotfix and HKLM\blah\Updates entries) to be applied during setup. That way you've got all the newest files integrated into the install source, but you don't have to run all the EXEs during setup, saving time and space.

So far it seems OK, but just wait till they release another Advanced Networking Package (a.k.a. 817778) type patch!

Still, it will certainly be faster then integrating the files, and running the fixes from SVCPACK.INF.

Let the RyanVM HotFix Pack fly!

Yeah, I was thinking about that kind of pack too (or HighMAT).

I agree, let it fly! (when the U of M game is done :P)

hi there

1st update.png

which tells us that it can be integrated into the cd (which I just tested and, it works.)

it creates the svcpack folder and puts these in there

branches.inf

HFINT.dat

KB884020.cat

KB884020.exe

and here's what the svcpack.inf looks like
[CatalogHeader]

[Version]

BuildNumber=2600

MinorVersion=1

MajorVersion=5

Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"

[setupData]

CatalogSubDir="\I386\svcpack"

[setupHotfixesToRun]

KB884020.exe /q /n /z

[ProductCatalogsToInstall]

KB884020.cat

so after this stage of integrating the modified tcpip.sys could be replaced easily..

or better yet I could be dreaming...ok this post was useless.. just realized that this was for integrating the sys in the cd :)

so yes inf's way to go :blushing:

Edited by XtremeMaC

I still think that XPCREATE does a nicer job: they still run the update from SVCPACK, don't compress the files added to I386, and don't use the /O switch on the hotfix. That can get really slow when the number of fixes adds up.

However, I do think there is something to be learned from what the /INTEGRATE option does. (Like the BRANCHES.INF)

They should really talk to me before doing this stuff ...