Posted (edited)

I think they need to update system requirements.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

No one runs Windows 10 on a Pentium 4, no one runs Chrome on a Pentium 4. A Raspberry Pi 5 offers much more enjoyable browsing experience than any old, loud and clunky computer from over 2 decades ago or so.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

I think they need to update system requirements.

https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/7100626?hl=en

No one runs Windows 10 on a Pentium 4, no one runs Chrome on a Pentium 4. A Raspberry Pi 5 offers much more enjoyable browsing experience than any old, loud and clunky computer from over 2 decades ago or so.

Don't get me wrong, Thorium runs against all expectations well overall, and I've just made some more performance improvements by changing some flags I have been using. On such systems, it is essential to select the correct flags that really correspond to the hardware. In any case, one thing is true. Thorium definitely runs on Intel Pentium 4 single-core 32-bit. Thus, here is one who runs a Chrome 122 under Windows XP on a 20 years old Pentium 4 CPU. And it's me. :P

PS: And as always, I know exactly what I'm doing. :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

There are still other options if Legacy Update doesn't work for you on Windows XP.

My problem with Windows XP x64 updating is probably not related to Legacy Update specifically. The Automatic Updates service just gets stuck in a loop on "PT: Synchronizing extended update info" step (WindowsUpdate.log). According to this, the only slightly outdated component was Internet Explorer 8, so I installed the cumulative update for it, 64-bit version of course. Also tried cleaning up the logs and DataStore.edb database in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution, that way it took a while to reconstruct, but then got stuck as usual.

This installation was hardly used much, I doubt resetting update components would do anything. Automatic updates were turned off from the beginning.

Back in the old days we solved these sorts of problems with format C: /Q :P

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Don't get me wrong, Thorium runs against all expectations well overall, and I've just made some more performance improvements by changing some flags I have been using.

Was it anything like Edge on this video out-of-the-box? It only shows YouTube loading, though. Maybe a bit faster on yours since XP fits in smaller amount of RAM? :dubbio:

Thorium in general appears glitchier than Supermium, on XP at least. I got it to crash on Google Drive with fresh profile. Crash doesn't occur using Supermium. Regarding Chrome XP API adapter, some difference in size seems negligible to me, the browser would work better if it was more feature complete. Still takes 10 seconds to start after cold boot here. I find slower initial start of any program to be an old pattern. Maybe more pronounced with Chromium since it's a big program.

PS.: One finer detail, the path to Windows Update log file was omitted above because forum doesn't let us post normally, so I'm mentioning it here subsequently that the log is located directly in Windows folder.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, UCyborg said:

Back in the old days we solved these sorts of problems with format C: /Q :P

I still use this command. Of course, only if my system partition has become faulty and has to be restored by the latest image I had created, which, however, only happens very rarely. My reliable imaging system is the reason why this system partition was originally created in 2004. Since then, I never had to reinstall Windows XP from scratch. It is as immortal as the Highlander, so to speak. :buehehe: So I'm not afraid that Thorium or another programme will destroy my system. It is simply indestructible. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Thorium in general appears glitchier than Supermium

What about video acceleration? I remember you wanted to force it. were you able to achieve? Thanks.

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Was it anything like Edge on this video out-of-the-box? It only shows YouTube loading, though. Maybe a bit faster on yours since XP fits in smaller amount of RAM? :dubbio:

TBH, this is more about Windows 10 on such old computers. Watching YouTube in browsers on my hardware needs special settings and methods. In Thorium, I would have to install scripts and an efficient ad blocker like uBlock Origin to make it work as it should if at all. YouTube has become a monster in recent years, and it's just bad. I hate all the changes that have been made there. :thumbdown I would like to test Supermium as well but only in portable mode. No installer, please. I hate Chrome installers. That's why I tried Thorium. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

No installer is needed for Supermium as a portable.
Any Chrome "loader" will work and the "installer" can be extracted with dozens of different extractors.
Just because it's an "exe", that doesn't mean you have to "execute" it, lol.

6 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

No installer is needed for Supermium as a portable.
Any Chrome "loader" will work and the "installer" can be extracted with dozens of different extractors.
Just because it's an "exe", that doesn't mean you have to "execute" it, lol.

I thought it is only a real installer which has to be executed to get a working installation. Most installers write entries in the registry which are needed for proper installation. However, I didn't check the Supermium installer so far.

2 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

I thought it is only a real installer which has to be executed to get a working installation.

Extracting the executable to a folder & running chrome.exe for the first time still creates new registry entries & directories (so it won't be portable). These won't affect your Thorium (or any other browser) installs, if that's an issue.

18 minutes ago, 66cats said:

Extracting the executable to a folder & running chrome.exe for the first time still creates new registry entries & directories (so it won't be portable). These won't affect your Thorium (or any other browser) installs, if that's an issue.

Not if you use a "loader" such as WinPenPack or X-Chrome or PAF, they all work for Supermium and Thorium to make them portable with zero registry-writes and fully self-contained folder structures.

1 minute ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not if you use a "loader" such as WinPenPack or X-Chrome or PAF

Oh, got you. Never used one,

28 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Most installers

True.  I've *never* "installed" any web browser in over 20 years!  Too much CRAP used to be "bundled" with browsers so I stopped "trusting" installers a LONG time ago.

13 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Any Chrome "loader" will work

No, depending on the Chrome version, their user folder path is changed.

00 / 2E HEX (highlighted) 

user folder path.png

12 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Not if you use a "loader" such as WinPenPack or X-Chrome or PAF, they all work for Supermium and Thorium to make them portable with zero registry-writes and fully self-contained folder structures.

Do they support adding/removing flags? User agent selection function, maybe?

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Dixel said:

No, depending on the Chrome version, their user folder path is changed.

All I can tell you for 1,234,567.89% is that none of my Chrome-based browsers make any permanent registry writes and none of them store data "outside" of the PORTABLE LOADER'S "bin" "user" folder.

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames