On 5/5/2024 at 6:18 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Until now, I couldn't observe such crashes here in my Thorium testing installation. :no:

AstroSkipper, which sites did you test it with? I have the same issue Dave wrote about, memory leaks (and then crashes, sometimes just hangs) while scrolling instagram.

I have 16Gb of RAM currently, can extend to 32.

3 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Or, more probably, using the same compiler but with different compilation scripts/configuration, depending on the OS the final binaries are targeting :dubbio:...

Those they change manually in the end, to target a specific OS version. I think win32 wrote about it somewhere.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

AstroSkipper, which sites did you test it with? I have the same issue Dave wrote about, memory leaks (and then crashes, sometimes just hangs) while scrolling instagram.

I have 16Gb of RAM currently, can extend to 32.

I tested a lot of sites like MSFN, GitHub, NY Times, Google, Chip, PCWelt, GMX and so on. TBH, I do not use Instagram anyways but this site indeed does not load correctly. BTW, I have only 1.5 GB SD-RAM:buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)

I noticed random tab hanging with Supermium as well. Slightly off-topic, it's just that I used Supermium slightly more often on XP than Thorium so far.

But it could be due to small fixed 1 GB page file since XP is installed on a small 20 GB partition...I think warning about possibly failed memory allocation requests may only show the first time.

Those that have these types of problems should check if their page file setting is set to auto. No, you're not smarter than Windows if you think you know appropriate size or worse, think you don't need it at all. If you don't have decently (over)sized page file and settings prevent Windows from resizing it, chances for memory allocation requests randomly failing decrease dramatically.

Edited by UCyborg

Oh man, you edited out the part I was going to comment on, lol.

re: 256 MB spare  --  it's because some people eat their cereal with a fork and don't realize that a spoon works better.

There would be no MSFN without these types of people, the folks that use the wrong tool for the job then come here to get that FORK (pun intended) to do what the spoon has no issues with.

It was a needlessly ranty part and didn't take into account process address space fragmentation... although TBH, I still find it strange, Chromium being multi-process, how do you not have consistently free contiguous 256 MB of space in that one process. :huh:

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/507

On the other hand, we live in the age of abundant computing resources, so sometimes these issues do struck as "first world problems".

As far as I can see after all my performed tests, Thorium is still in beta stage. Many websites are not shown correctly. So, we will see how the development of this browser will go on. Generally, Thorium works even on my old computer even though we live in the age of seemingly limitless computer resources. :buehehe: But one thong is clear. It is much slower than Mypal 68 or New Moon 28, at least on my hardware.

Any examples of problem sites?
I have to say that I haven't found a site which doesn't display correctly in Thorium (apart from the incorrect font on the Digital Spy forum site which I mentioned earlier).
:dubbio:

14 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Any examples of problem sites?
I have to say that I haven't found a site which doesn't display correctly in Thorium (apart from the incorrect font on the Digital Spy forum site which I mentioned earlier).
:dubbio:

For example, Instagram stucks on first site. No content, no login window. Fortunately, I don't use it. And the website NOX caused my first, serious crash of Thorium. animiertes-schilder-smilies-bild-0054.gi

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

??? ??? ???

Um, are we supposed to know what that is?  Looks like nitrous oxide to me.

A very good website to get information for cinematic enthusiasts. You don't always have to think the worst. :no: And I was asked which pages don't work. :yes: Apart from that, the browser repeatedly hangs when starting and loading websites, like most Chrome browsers that have been ported to Windows XP, such as 360Chrome:P BTW, Instagram is the most toxic one ever. :o Anyway! I am just in testing mode. And nothing is left out. :no:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Any chance of actually having the link, I can't find it?!
In my experience sites work very well in the recent Chrome browsers for XP, I've had very few problems, although some are inevitably starting to malfunction or are blocked in 360Chrome because of its old Chromium version.
:)

Posted (edited)

MSFN doesn't really run well in Thorium either. It creeps from side to side. In Mypal 68 and New Moon 28, MSFN works great and fast. :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

3 minutes ago, Dave-H said:

Any chance of actually having the link, I can't find it?!
:)

I avoided to post the link due to our forum rules. But I can send you the link via PM. :)