2 minutes ago, kiza124 said:

What is the difference between Palemoon 28 and Palemoon 27 for Windows XP - https://rtfreesoft.blogspot.com/search/label/newmoon?
Does Palemoon 28 support and show new, modern sites better than Palemoon 27?

In short, yes. New Moon 28 is an UXP browser and a port of the current Pale Moon browser. Therefore, it has a lot of more modern features. Read here for more information: https://msfn.org/board/topic/185966-my-browser-builds-part-5/?do=findComment&comment=1258498

A much more fundamental problem is the seemingly lost ability to carry out in-depth research in a forum before asking questions whose answer is actually easy to find. :P Presumably because it's more convenient that way. :whistle: And who wants to go through four threads with 200 pages each and then this one here with the help of the forum search? :buehehe:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

That question comes up so often, it probably should be addressed in the FAQ at the beginning of this thread.

By the same logic, the question about the difference between Serpent 52 and Serpent 55 should be addressed in the FAQ, too. :P

Seriously though, easy, he's new to this forum, no need to go harsh. The user could have tried NM27 and NM28 by himself and know the differences, but he asked from early instead to know the differences.

3 hours ago, mina7601 said:

By the same logic, the question about the difference between Serpent 52 and Serpent 55 should be addressed in the FAQ, too. :P

Seriously though, easy, he's new to this forum, no need to go harsh. The user could have tried NM27 and NM28 by himself and know the differences, but he asked from early instead to know the differences.

Agreed. I wasn't casting aspersions on the user for asking - that was the right thing to do. Just pointing out that the question does come up a lot, and will probably continue to do so.

Rather than a long response, it would probably be easiest to beef up the FAQ with links to one of @VistaLover's detailed replies on those two topics.

46 minutes ago, j7n said:

Why would you use New Moon 27 today?

I wouldn't use it, but it (and its sister K-Meleon) are more lightweight than current UXP browsers, so they might be reasonable "first browser" choices on older hardware where UXP is unacceptably slow. If it fails to render a site properly you could always fire up Serpent, go make a cup of coffee, drink it....

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

A much more fundamental problem is the seemingly lost ability to carry out in-depth research in a forum before asking questions whose answer is actually easy to find. :P Presumably because it's more convenient that way. :whistle: And who wants to go through four threads with 200 pages each and then this one here with the help of the forum search? :buehehe:

Forum search functions generally suck - not just ours but every one I've ever tried. What would be really helpful is Bing's new AI search - just type in the question, et voila! But you have to be running Edge to use it :realmad: and if you're able to do that, you probably aren't interested in NM 27 or 28!

Here's part of what @VistaLover wrote recently about NM 27 vs. 28. Actually this was in the context of discussing why we were getting so many NM 27 updates:

On 2/19/2024 at 9:27 AM, VistaLover said:

When upstream (MCP) abandoned Tycho (and PM27), roytam1 chose to keep his forked platform and browser (NM27) for the sake of Win2k/XP users on very old H/W, that doesn't support the SSE2+ instruction set ; as of this writing, NM27 and its browser engine, Goanna 3, is being "updated" based on a new "upstream", the developer (rmottola) behind the Artic-Fox project; this project aims to develop a (semi-)usable browser on old Macs, unsupported by Apple and the mainstream browser vendors; the project strives to "uplift" the browser from a Mozilla 38 platform snapshot (like in PM27/Tycho) to more recent versions, hence the large number of weekly updates (there's a lot of catching-up to do ;) when you're still at a Fx mid-40s level) ...

Also, Arctic-Fox isn't New Moon 27, hence several bugs that plague the latter are being reported by (the few?) NM27 users... To put it bluntly, I have now no need for this fork, because its web-compatibility is severely impaired in 2024; in addition to that, Roy is publishing SSE-compatible builds of NM28+St52, so if your old H/W can cope, it's advisable you use these instead of NM27...

NM27 has inherited from PM27 a "status-4-ever" internal component, but as the platform is being updated by rmottola to Fx43+, this component has been partially BROKEN, breaking with it several download-related functions/extensions/userstyles/userscripts etc.; I have kept, for archival purposes, a NM27 build from 20220812, which seems to be the last with no such issues...

As for NM28 (and St52), this is being updated mostly by backporting MCP code, especially in the platform aspect of it, and occasionally PM-specific (and Bk-specific) code is also being backported; and don't let the appVersion (28) confuse you :whistle:; Roy, for reasons he has explained in the past, decided to "freeze" the major version at 28, but latest NM28 embeds platform code to be found even in the latest PM33 "official" release ;) ...

7 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

What would be really helpful is Bing's new AI search - just type in the question, et voila!

Nah, ChatGPT is way better IMO. Try talking to it about roytam1's browsers، or roytam1 generally, and see the answers it gives you! :P

Edited by mina7601

3 hours ago, kiza124 said:

The link you provided does not answer my question!

Of course, it does. smilie_denk_24.gif Look at the end of the FAQ! starescreen.gif There are links to the corresponding articles whose author is no less than @VistaLover. And a little research on your own to deepen the topic would be helpful, too. :P But to be honest, @Mathwiz did already the job for you and quoted the most suitable post from @VistaLover in terms of your query. :o

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

The use of artificial intelligence is a double-edged sword. It can generate results very quickly and easily. However, these must be evaluated and consulted with caution. In my opinion, it is essential to do your own research in any case. albert.gif I personally do not trust any AI. It is nice to have such technology but I don't want to be told what to do or think by any artificial intelligence. I don't really approve of such a dependency, which is already fatal for children and students for years. Stupidity is being encouraged. Nobody needs to know anything. AI already does that. :buehehe: A famous German astrophysicist, Prof. Dr. Harald Lesch, put it aptly a long time ago. Young people don't know much anymore, they just learn how to easily get information. :P He literally said that in this day and age, young people only learn skills, but they know very little. I totally agree. Of course, using artificial intelligence sensibly is a completely different story. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content