5 hours ago, modnar said:

I'm somewhat confused about this sitiation: How come PaleMoon has had all these changes - that come in handy for K-Meleon too, yet not for Serpent - are those two so fundamentally different than Serpent? Has NewMoon surpassed Serpent in functionality due to all the activity? Aren't them all sort of variants of Firefox? :whistle:

you missed the point that there are 2 NewMoon versions: 27 and 28.

Edited by roytam1

3 hours ago, roytam1 said:

you missed the point that there are 2 NewMoon versions: 27 and 28.

I meant, of course, the NewMoon 27 (the "standard" one), I should have stated that. Also "standard" Serpent for my understanding is the 52.9.

@roytam1

New Moon v27 (2024-02-26) test:

- Save image as... now works

- use Alt+CharacterCode to enter language-specific characters is still not works (this is important for me)

- "Show downloads for this session" button still not works as intended (so it is not possible to check details on file currently downloading (but works for future downloads, when it was 1st opened), and it can not be cancelled without closing all New Moon windows)

15 hours ago, modnar said:

I'm somewhat confused about this sitiation: How come PaleMoon New Moon has had all these changes - that come in handy for K-Meleon too, yet not for Serpent - are those two so fundamentally different than Serpent? Has NewMoon surpassed Serpent in functionality due to all the activity? Aren't them all sort of variants of Firefox? :whistle:

New Moon 27 was forked from a much older Firefox version that uses a different engine than either Serpent version. So NM 27 updates are generally not applicable to Serpent.

New Moon 28 and Serpent 52 use the same engine (UXP - forked from FF ESR 52.6, IIRC), and Serpent 55 (forked from an alpha version of FF 53) is similar. So those three often get updated at the same time.

On 2/18/2024 at 3:37 AM, mina7601 said:

52.9, not 52.6.

... Nope, Mathwiz is correct; at the time MCP cut UXP (Take 2, to be precise) from the Mozilla ESR 52 platform, the platform was at its 52.6 release point...

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commits/branch/master?page=147

A0WzVzh.png

Edited by VistaLover
added screenshot

8 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... Nope, Mathwiz is correct; at the time MCP cut UXP (Take 2, to be precise) from the Mozilla ESR 52 platform, the platform was at its 52.6 release point...

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP

https://repo.palemoon.org/MoonchildProductions/UXP/commits/branch/master?page=147

Oh, thanks for the information, sorry @Mathwiz.

On 2/14/2024 at 4:00 PM, reboot12 said:

It worked well for several hours, but this message finally appeared again - Secure Connection Failed :crazy:

... Which SSUAO value did you in fact use there? Was it the Fx-120 one or the "just Chrome" one :dubbio:

In any case, being able to use that bloated (if I may say so ;) ) portal for several hours is still better than not being able to even access it at all :angry: ... I don't have an account there, so it's just impossible for me to further troubleshoot :( ...

It's possible they're (still) doing some form of fingerprinting once every several hours and then you're kicked out :realmad: ... If I had to bet some money :whistle:, I'd say evil CloudFlare :angry: is behind all of this...

Kind regards.

20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Which SSUAO value did you in fact use there? Was it the Fx-120 one or the "just Chrome" one :dubbio:

8 hours ago, reboot12 said:

I added UA in about:config > general.useragent.override.elektroda.pl

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; rv:120.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/120.0

... So, you used the Fx-120 based one; try to use as value of "general.useragent.override.elektroda.pl" just "Chrome" (without the " ") and report back :dubbio:...

On 2/17/2024 at 8:42 PM, modnar said:

the NewMoon 27 (the "standard" one),

FWIW, there's nothing "standard" about NM27 here :dubbio:; to add to what Mathwiz has posted:

"Pale Moon" is an upstream browser application, which has a GUI from the pre-Australis Fx era; also, members here must understand the distinction between platform and application (Mozilla are the ones to blame for this confusion, because they had equated the Mozilla platform, not used solely by Fx, to their main browser, Firefox) ...

When PM was at its major version 27 (did not support XP, Vista support was rudimentary), the platform it was built on was called Tycho, a fork of the Mozilla ESR 38 platform - the browser engine of PM27 was called Goanna version 3.

The roytam1 fork derived from PM27 was/is New Moon 27 (NM27) ; as the web became more-and-more Googl-ised :realmad: , PM27/Tycho started being crippled at loading many popular sites, so "upstream" (MCP) abandoned the Tycho platform and moved on, first to UXP Take 1 (aka Moebius), forked from a Mozilla 53.0a1 platform snapshot, and soon after to UXP Take 2 (just UXP now), forked from Mozilla ESR 52[.6] platform; PM27 became PM28; Pale Moon is currently at v33.0, but it's still built on UXP; both the paltform (UXP) and the browser application (PM) are being developed independently from Mozilla/Firefox...

When upstream (MCP) abandoned Tycho (and PM27), roytam1 chose to keep his forked platform and browser (NM27) for the sake of Win2k/XP users on very old H/W, that doesn't support the SSE2+ instruction set ; as of this writing, NM27 and its browser engine, Goanna 3, is being "updated" based on a new "upstream", the developer (rmottola) behind the Artic-Fox project; this project aims to develop a (semi-)usable browser on old Macs, unsupported by Apple and the mainstream browser vendors; the project strives to "uplift" the browser from a Mozilla 38 platform snapshot (like in PM27/Tycho) to more recent versions, hence the large number of weekly updates (there's a lot of catching-up to do ;) when you're still at a Fx mid-40s level) ...

Also, Arctic-Fox isn't New Moon 27, hence several bugs that plague the latter are being reported by (the few?) NM27 users... To put it bluntly, I have now no need for this fork, because its web-compatibility is severely impaired in 2024; in addition to that, Roy is publishing SSE-compatible builds of NM28+St52, so if your old H/W can cope, it's advisable you use these instead of NM27...

NM27 has inherited from PM27 a "status-4-ever" internal component, but as the platform is being updated by rmottola to Fx43+, this component has been partially BROKEN, breaking with it several download-related functions/extensions/userstyles/userscripts etc.; I have kept, for archival purposes, a NM27 build from 20220812, which seems to be the last with no such issues...

As for NM28 (and St52), this is being updated mostly by backporting MCP code, especially in the platform aspect of it, and occasionally PM-specific (and Bk-specific) code is also being backported; and don't let the appVersion (28) confuse you :whistle:; Roy, for reasons he has explained in the past, decided to "freeze" the major version at 28, but latest NM28 embeds platform code to be found even in the latest PM33 "official" release ;) ...

Edited by VistaLover

2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

but latest NM28 embeds platform code to be found even in the latest PM33 "official" release ;) ...

Does that also include security fixes? :dubbio:

To be honest, I don't read the changelogs here that often. :blushing: