4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

I know I'm not being helpful enough

Hola! :)   You've been of ample help, mate. I didn't think it was necessary to provide the link to this particular video 'cause the sites didn't work with any, so I took for granted it wasn't relevant. I'll keep that in mind for future queries.

I didn't start Serpent afresh -don't know how to do it, every time I start Serpent it takes my config directly from the system, don't know how to avoid that, plus I'm afraid of losing it- so I just restarted Serpent in Safe Mode and both sites worked perfectly, as usual. The info you gave made me think right away the problem was some extension, which seemed strange, 'cause I use few and I've been using 'em for a long time. But since disabling uBlock and nMatrix didn't give me any results I tried to disable AdBlocker Ultimate on both sites... and that did the trick! Both sites working perfectly again.

I think the problem started because, as you say, some of these sites are so dirty that I was forced to block many different annoyances on them. I'll have to try to be more conservative about blocking. I've had similar problems in the past but I caught on quickly and managed to fix 'em on the fly. Seems so silly now! How could I distrust Serpent? :P

Regarding video download sites, again I'm with you, they're super dirty, full of intrusive advertising. With these two in particular, time goes by and they don't go down. So far I've been able to block their annoyances with -almost!- no problems. I've tried video downloading software in the past but none of 'em convinced me and I never did much research 'cause the ones I tried didn't work or I had to try maneuvers that might put my system at risk. I've not been able to come up with one that works in portable format -best way to keep my system clean imo- but now that you give me these two names, I'll give 'em a try.

Thank you VistaLover. You've been patient and this will surely help for future experiences. Also thanks to all who tried to help diagnose the problem. :D

Edited by chermany4ever
correction and some style

10 hours ago, chermany4ever said:

I didn't start Serpent afresh - don't know how to do it, every time I start Serpent
it takes my config directly from the system, don't know how to avoid that,

... Launching your browser in a new, pristine, profile is an essential troubleshooting procedure and I'm dead certain details of the "How-To" have been already mentioned several times across the lifespan of these threads (now in "Season 05" :P ) ...

Please make a sincere effort to get yourself acquainted with it ;) ; the knowledge-base article I'll link below speaks of Mozilla Firefox, but it can be applied to St52/St55, too:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-remove-switch-firefox-profiles

https://support.mozilla.org/es/kb/usar-el-administrador-de-perfiles-para-crear-y-eli

plus I'm afraid of losing it

Backing up your dirty profile from time-to-time is always a good precautionary measure against profile corruption/loss/inadvertent unwanted modification ;) ; you can get access to your profile's contents via:

MenuBar -> Help -> Troubleshooting Information (aka about:support) -> Profile Folder -> Open Folder (button)

But since disabling uBlock and nMatrix didn't give me any results
I tried to disable AdBlocker Ultimate on both sites...

Running too many content blockers is NEVER a good idea, not to mention it increases your browser's RAM consumption; as I've written recently, I'm ONLY running myself uBO-legacy (I haven't had any adverse effect till now), while testimonies of successfully running uBO+ηMatrix are frequent here ;) ; make a choice between uBO and ABU and lose one of them :P ; less is more! (my 2c, ofc :whistle:...)

I've not been able to come up with one that works in portable format - best way to keep my system clean imo -
but now that you give me these two names, I'll give 'em a try.

youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe are standalone CLI (no GUI) executables that don't require any installation and don't "mess" with one's system; in their default configuration, they'll write some minimal detail inside your Windows profile, but they can also be configured to be "truly portable" by loading a config file adjacent to the executable itself! TBH, I'm a bit surprised you hadn't yet come across them during your quest for YT downloaders, as these apps are well-known/popular in this retro-computing community :) ...

Best regards :) .

Edited by VistaLover

14 hours ago, VistaLover said:

For YT (and other media portals) I exclusively use youtube-dl and/or yt-dlp (standalone CLI apps built on Python); the first has (nightly) releases still supporting WinXP, while the second one (which is more feature-rich) has unofficial WinXP ports; use the Forum Search to learn more :P) ...

@chermany4ever 

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

Running too many content blockers is NEVER a good idea, not to mention it increases your browser's RAM consumption; as I've written recently, I'm ONLY running myself uBO-legacy (I haven't had any adverse effect till now), while testimonies of successfully running uBO+ηMatrix are frequent here ;) ; make a choice between uBO and ABU and lose one of them :P ; less is more! (my 2c, ofc :whistle:...)

That's absolutely true. The less, the more. Using only one adblocker is mandatory. A combination I am using is indeed uBO+ηMatrix.  Works great and has been successfully applied by me for many years. :thumbup And just for clarification, ηMatrix is not an adblocker but a point-and-click matrix-based firewall for UXP-based browsers, with many privacy-enhancing tools.

7 hours ago, VistaLover said:

youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe are standalone CLI (no GUI) executables that don't require any installation and don't "mess" with one's system; in their default configuration, they'll write some minimal detail inside your Windows profile, but they can also be configured to be "truly portable" by loading a config file adjacent to the executable itself! TBH, I'm a bit surprised you hadn't yet come across them during your quest for YT downloaders, as these apps are well-known/popular in this retro-computing community :) ...

I also prefer the programmes youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe (again thanks to @nicolaasjan for his XP releases) but inside of YouTube Downloaders for more convenient use. :P And I have a whole collection of such tools that still run under Windows XPd010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Hiya there guys. Thanks again for sharing useful knowledge. :worship:

15 hours ago, VistaLover said:

too many content blockers is NEVER a good idea

I was aware of that. I used only uBO but some ads would slip through and that led me to experiment and combine it with AdBlocker Ultimate. That way I was able to block many ads and elements of many sites to my liking and never noticed a memory issue. I've been using both for many months now without any problems but yesterday I had to remove AbU because it was giving me problems with too many sites. I think my system is broken and I will have to go back to an image soon.

As I said in season 04, I stopped using uMatrix 'cause I found it super heavy and sites took a long time to load. Recently I discovered nMatrix in the Basilisk extensions page and I'm using it. I think it's great, light, sites load fast and I can block stuff and unwanted behaviors individually.

I searched last night for links to the programs to download YouTube videos and couldn't find 'em, so you've been very helpful Mina. I just ran yt-dlp and it's a commands program; laugh at me but obviously I'm not used to that and what I want is the idea of downloading videos using a download accelerator, that's why I was very comfortable using such sites until now. I still will try to see how this programs work, thou I tried to download youtube-dl and it seems that the link is broken. I will continue to investigate.

I thank you all again for your help!  :wub:

Edited by chermany4ever
corrections and updates

@chermany4ever When I am back at my desktop computer, I will give you some recommendations for XP-compatible YouTube Downloaders, which are using the programmes youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe, only for more convenient use. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Although Gorhill does not believe that a large number of filters is limiting it is good to consider that in old hardware this impact is significant.
For MSFN members who have these problems,one solution might be to limit the network filter rules in UBO and move some filter lists you cannot give up to the DNS level.

AdGuard DNS,Next DNS,might be right for you.

6 hours ago, chermany4ever said:
20 hours ago, VistaLover said:

too many content blockers is NEVER a good idea

I was aware of that. I used only uBO but some ads would slip through

If uBO doesn't block certain ads, then you should check the filter lists you are using. A suitable combination and selection of good filter lists is very important, and additionally, you can create own rules. No need for an additional adblocker. If AdBlocker Ultimate can block some ads which uBO can't do, then it is only a problem of missing filters. smilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

On 1/23/2024 at 6:45 AM, chermany4ever said:

I searched last night for links to the programs to download YouTube videos and couldn't find 'em, so you've been very helpful Mina. I just ran yt-dlp and it's a commands program; laugh at me but obviously I'm not used to that and what I want is the idea of downloading videos using a download accelerator, that's why I was very comfortable using such sites until now. I still will try to see how this programs work, thou I tried to download youtube-dl and it seems that the link is broken. I will continue to investigate.

On 1/23/2024 at 11:34 AM, AstroSkipper said:

@chermany4ever When I am back at my desktop computer, I will give you some recommendations for XP-compatible YouTube Downloaders, which are using the programmes youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe, only for more convenient use. :yes:

@chermany4ever Although a bit off-topic in @roytam1's thread (sorry for that :blushing:), here are some recommendations for YouTube Downloaders still working under Windows XP (and presumably under Windows Vista, too):

• yt-dlp for Windows XP with a CPU which is equipped with an instruction set of SSE2 or higher. Credits to @nicolaasjan.
  • youtube-dl for Windows XP with a CPU which is equipped with an instruction set of SSE only. Credits to @nicolaasjan.
  • 3D Youtube Downloader (free of charge). The version I am using is 1.19.17 but there is a newer one 1.20.2. This downloader does not use yt-dlp or youtube-dl.
  • YouTube Downloader HD 3.7.0.0 (free of charge). There are two versions, an installer and a portable one. These are the last XP-compatible versions. This downloader does not use yt-dlp or youtube-dl.
  • Youtube-dl GUI 0.4 (free of charge). When calling up the executable youtube-dl-gui.exe the first time, a folder youtube-dlg will be created under Documents and Settings\your username\Application Data where you have to replace the file youtube-dl.exe by @nicolaasjan's XP-compatible yt-dlp file. Be aware to keep the original file name!
  • Allavsoft Video Downloader Converter (commercial). The version I am using is 3.25.3.8409 but there is a newer one 3.26.1.8768. Inside the main folder, you have to replace both files youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp_x86.exe by @nicolaasjan's XP-compatible ones. Be aware to keep the original file names!

And these are by no means all the YouTube Downloaders that still work under Windows XP:no: So, there is no need to watch YouTube videos inside browsers under Windows XP on weak computers, although this is of course possible, too. :yes:

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Youtube-dl GUI 0.4 (free of charge). Inside the main folder, there are two subfolders youtube-dlg and yt-dlp where you have to replace the corresponding files youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe by @nicolaasjan's XP-compatible ones.

This one is not maintained any more...

See here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/youtubedl/wiki/info-guis

youtube-dl-gui by MrS0m30n3

First a note about one of the first GUI's, youtube-dl-gui (aka youtube-dlg) by MrS0m30n3', which is the first hit on google for youtube-dl gui. This GUI is no longer maintained, the last version (0.4) was released july 19, 2017. It has bugs and issues, does not let you easily use yt-dlp.

We do not recommend this version!

If you otherwise like it and want to continue using it, we recommend switching to yt-dlg (see first entry below), as it is based on the original youtube-dl-gui, and is updated to support yt-dlp.

Unfortunately, the fork thereof will not work on Windows XP (is 64bit)...

spacer.png

I just ran yt-dlp and it's a commands program

... But I did tell you so ;) :

On 1/22/2024 at 5:38 PM, VistaLover said:

youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe are standalone CLI (no GUI) executables

CLI = Command Line Interface

what I want is the idea of downloading videos using a download accelerator

Both apps will try and use ALL the DL speed your line will allow for (provided they're updated so they're not throttled by most evil Google :realmad: ); yt-dlp also comes with the "-N x" option (multi-threaded, aka parallel downloading for the same clip).

I tried to download youtube-dl and it seems that the link is broken.

One can always download the latest (nightly) release from GitHub:

https://github.com/ytdl-org/ytdl-nightly/releases/tag/2024.01.23

(you need the .EXE)

3 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

youtube-dl for Windows XP with a CPU which is equipped with an instruction set of SSE only.

Those dropbox links may eventually expire/return a 404 in the future, and this is beyond @nicolaasjan's control, unfortunately :( ...

I think my system is broken and I will have to go back to an image soon.

... Well, why would that happen anyhow (is your H/W failing?) ? TBH, problems inside your browser (St52 in this case) shouldn't be immediately associated to the OS itself, but I could be wrong :dubbio:...

it's a commands program; laugh at me but obviously I'm not used to that... I still will try to see how this programs work

There's infinite documentation online to "get used to" ;) , e.g.

https://www.indeed.com/career-advice/career-development/how-to-run-program-in-command-prompt

Personally, I'd feel "crippled" if not able to run CLI apps on this old Windows laptop (as CLI apps often require fewer system resources ;)  ) ...

Edited by VistaLover
fixed link

20 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

This one is not maintained any more...

See here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/youtubedl/wiki/info-guis

youtube-dl-gui by MrS0m30n3

First a note about one of the first GUI's, youtube-dl-gui (aka youtube-dlg) by MrS0m30n3', which is the first hit on google for youtube-dl gui. This GUI is no longer maintained, the last version (0.4) was released july 19, 2017. It has bugs and issues, does not let you easily use yt-dlp.

We do not recommend this version!

If you otherwise like it and want to continue using it, we recommend switching to yt-dlg (see first entry below), as it is based on the original youtube-dl-gui, and is updated to support yt-dlp.

Expand  

Unfortunately, the fork thereof will not work on Windows XP (is 64bit)...

spacer.png

Right! Youtube-dl GUI is no longer maintained but the last version 0.4 works like a charm under Windows XP Professional 32-bit with the help of your yt-dlp release. Here are some screenshots:

youtube-dl-gui-0-4.png

youtube-dl-gui-0-4-2.png

And here is a screenshot of the downloaded files including subtitle:

youtube-dl-gui-0-4-3.png

Therefore. I can't confirm your statement. :no: Maybe, you forgot to replace the file youtube-dl.exe inside the youtube-dlg folder by your XP-compatible yt-dlp.exe file. :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

17 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Maybe, you forgot to replace both files youtube-dl.exe and yt-dlp.exe inside the two subfolders youtube-dlg and yt-dlp by your XP-compatible yt-dlp.exe file. :dubbio:

To be honest, I haven't tried the program myself yet. :blushing:

8 minutes ago, nicolaasjan said:

To be honest, I haven't tried the program myself yet. :blushing:

No problem! But the proof is in the pudding, and we all know that, right? BTW, all YouTube Downloaders based on the files yt-dlp.exe and/or youtube-dl.exe you can download in these days contain versions of these files which are no longer XP-compatible. That leads to such an error message "yt-dlg.exe is not a valid Win32 application". smilie_denk_24.gif Therefore, such versions have to be replaced by your XP-compatible releases for using under Windows XP. :yes: