Chrome 115 working on Windows XP 32 bit

I thought this deserved its own thread, as opposed to hijacking the supermium thread. I'm posting from this browser right now on my XP machine with discord, ESPN, and youtube open, and haven't experienced any crashes or bizarre bugs yet. I'm a bit disappointed that we don't have access to the source code, though.

https://github.com/weolar/xpchrome

1 hour ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm a bit concerned that the author has this note  --  "valid for one year"

What is more concerning is the fact that windows firewall prompted me, asking if I would like it to continue blocking connections from the Chrome application. It would appear that the browser is trying to phone home or something.

2 minutes ago, XPerceniol said:

OH, I see, thank you for the quick reply. I haven't even gotten around to trying it. Unless the hack was used XP only recognized 3GB of RAM are we sure Chrome 115 will even work on that little resources?

It will work, but you won't be able to have many tabs open concurrently. The 4 tabs I had open were using roughly 2.5 GB of RAM.

Edited by sparty411

I'm using it now and it does seem to work fine but YT is choppy but I also have this same issue with 360 Chrome because my computers are very slow. Good work and I wish much success with your new project. 

~Salvatore

Edited by XPerceniol

2 hours ago, sparty411 said:

What is more concerning is the fact that windows firewall prompted me, asking if I would like it to continue blocking connections from the Chrome application. It would appear that the browser is trying to phone home or something.

I only witnessed the standard 20-30 connections to Google IP Addresses that all Chromium Forks make unless "ungoogled'.

Primarily 172.217.x.y and 142.25(0|1).x.y.

Also saw a 34.104.x.y in the list, not sure I've seen that one in other Chromium Forks, possibly tied to "DNS Protection" which is just another way of saying "give us your DNS records instead of giving them to your ISP".

I also haven't been able to find any connections opened to Chinese IP addresses, much unlike 360 Chrome.

The "expires in one year" is a restriction in the application itself. If you try running the browser in August 2024 or later, it will silently crash. However, there is a logic error in the timebomb so it will run for the first seven months of the following years. However I think a patch for it would be technically a crack as it is proprietary software with restrictions on launching.

7 hours ago, sparty411 said:

I had the same warning with all of the 360Chrome iterations. A coincidence?