StartAllBack RC: New System Tray

Tihiy

Introducing StartAllBack Canary - experimental build intended for short preview for next version.

Driven by partial taskbar demise in Windows Insider Canary, system tray was re-written.

This new implementation is intended to be used in all Win11 versions.

This topic is intended to discuss new tray implementation and StartAllBack on current Windows Insider Canary channel only.

Edited by Tihiy

Canary 4750

https://startisback.com/StartAllBack_setup.exe

- System tray is fully functional for all displays. Hope you don't need to move taskbars between displays now!

- Windows 7 flyouts are animated 

- Notification Area Icons Control Panel applet is not supported anymore

- Clock does not support additional time zones / calendars (how do you use those?)

- Settings are stored in Windows 22H2+ compatible format, so Settings app icon tweaking should work.

- WARNING: alpha builds known to corrupt NotifyIconSettings registry database, making native taskbar crash

- WARNING: Insider Canary is known to white-freeze the screen. dwm.exe restart helps, root cause unknown, help to find.

- Not tested / not adjusted on touch display.

Edited by Tihiy

I found a little bug to report. I use Networx bandwidth monitor which displays my bandwidth usage on the taskbar. With this build it overlaps over the clock.

Edit: this was tested on 23H2. I have since reverted to stable. Just wanted to test the waters.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

image.png.42a0c9feb370125e780338ed69167dcf.png

Edited by mackid1993

Awesome, thanks for the update and the hard work! Could someone post a screenshot of the "new" tray area or does it look the same? I'm a little apprehensive installing this build due to the mentioned corruption. I'm on 23H2 RC.

Nice, thanks. I was getting a little worried by what happened in Canary given that I'm on Dev and therefore on any given week some or all of the relevant changes from Canary could have migrated over without warning, musical-chairs style.

Il y a 3 heures, SkyySX a dit :

Génial, merci pour la mise à jour et le travail acharné ! Quelqu'un pourrait-il publier une capture d'écran de la "nouvelle" zone de la barre d'état ou est-ce qu'elle est identique ? J'ai un peu peur d'installer cette version en raison de la corruption mentionnée. Je suis sur 23H2 RC.

Of course, here it is:

Capturedcran2023-10-17001010.png.855762fec7a45b9ec26ab9f1747580a8.png

Also as this thread is more dedicated to this specific section, so I have a little suggestion for the tray : being able (if possible) to change the gap between the clock and the date, as this is a detail that make me crazy me when I use the Windows 7 style, as I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

I'm explaining this by the fact the gap is 8 pixels on W7, 8 and 8.1, but 9 pixels on W10/Legacy taskbar (yes, I see the difference, and it triggers me, I always want to... AAAARH! Remove this extra pixel to fix this thing and finally die peacefully).
This image I made in January can explain what I have in mind if you want a more "imaged" context:

image.png.dd99b11651d6771400127d649b213104.png
(Click to open at full size)
I doubt this is doable but if it is, it would be a nice touch, the minimum is just this extra gap pixel, if it can be completely adjusted by anyone with a setting, it would be even better.

5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

I found a little bug to report. I use Networx bandwidth monitor which displays my bandwidth usage on the taskbar. With this build it overlaps over the clock.

Edit: this was tested on 23H2. I have since reverted to stable. Just wanted to test the waters.

https://www.softperfect.com/products/networx/

image.png.42a0c9feb370125e780338ed69167dcf.png

It seems like the deskband can cause the whole system tray to disappear as well. It almost seems like there is no barrier on the system tray for the deskband like there is on the taskbar.

5 hours ago, mackid1993 said:

@Tihiy you are the best! Does this means our beloved classic taskbar will survive?

There's no guarantee, but chances are higher.

3 hours ago, rseiler said:

Nice, thanks. I was getting a little worried by what happened in Canary given that I'm on Dev and therefore on any given week some or all of the relevant changes from Canary could have migrated over without warning, musical-chairs style.

That's unlikely. Canary is most likely strictly Windows 12 and far enough from Windows 11 technically already.

3 minutes ago, Tihiy said:

There's no guarantee, but chances are higher.

That's unlikely. Canary is most likely strictly Windows 12 and far enough from Windows 11 technically already.

That's great! Thank for all of your hard work. You should really consider charging an upgrade fee for this or starting a Patreon so we can donate to support your development work. SAB is incredibly cheap and I for one would like to support the work you do.

Those issues never happened with 3.6.13. I'm running 23H2 on the release preview channel. My device is a Surface Laptop Studio so maybe it has something to do with touch. 

@Tihiy

I apologize, my Wifi menu came back. As for the issue with the taskbar resizing that happens on 3.6.13 as well. I'm on 22631.2428 so it may be related to that build of Win 11.

Update: I did more testing on another machine running 22621.2428, the taskbar cutoff issue does not happen on that build with either 3.6.13 or this canary build. This issue only seems to occur on 23H2 and is irrespective of SAB build.

Edited by mackid1993