Supermium

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Actually, I remember I liked 117 much better for the faster startup.

I use it myself and despite a few occasional glitches I see no reason to switch over unless they enhance some visual aspects I like better :angel

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Friend, it's a bit unfair to compare 86 to 121 version, but overall I agree with you, it could be less RAM hungry. 

XP will consume more RAM than W7 with the same exact browser.

01f453c38505b1b27e73b42078fddf74.png

Well, it runs nicely on my set up, using Artifoxie's loader, most of the same flags (more later). I could install many extensions, including ublock, umatrix, tampermmonkey, an alternative to singlefile and behind the overlay. Once I figure out what is what, I'll comment again. So far, good.

PS: I could install singlefile.

Edited by dmiranda

12 hours ago, Milkinis said:

... OT :sneaky: : This simple MUC search doesn't tell the whole story :P 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-installer-4-5-is-available-bf06be18-3e0a-d5eb-4549-b482f67e1c46

https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/win32/blob/docs/desktop-src/Msi/windows-installer-redistributables.md

(TL;DRKB942288 is Windows_Installer-v4.5; redistributables existed for XP SP2/3 through to Vista SP0/1 - and their Server counterparts ;) ; existed, because now evil MS :realmad: have removed them from the Download Center :()

10 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Looks like a Chromium with typical limitations like the older variants. Guess it's good to pay the bills if your whatever-provider's site sucks so badly. No need for polyfills. Also why is only Google on the built-in search engine list?

It did crash on first startup on my XP x64 (only tried 32-bit version), but afterwards it was OK. OS is not updated beyond 2011/2012, except an odd crypt32.dll update from 2015.

Laggy transitions/animations on websites, eg. changing pages on this forum, laggy videos (also doesn't prevent screen turning off during playback) etc. So CPU struggles while GPU has nothing to do.

I see people being hyped up about Win2K support and what not, but, why? There's a charm in small footprint of period correct applications. Why would you want that monstrosity there? 32-bit chrome.dll is almost two hundred f***in' megabytes! 64-bit is obviously already beyond that. I don't know, maybe I'm just too old to "dig" today's kids' crazy ideas.

PS.:

Not this crap with the fonts again! :buehehe:

spacer.png

Explanations why the GPU process is blocked and does nothing.

"Chromium disabled hardware acceleration on Windows XP in November 2013. The GPU "bug" that blocked this acceleration was removed a month or two ago, but it was more unstable than I would've liked (D3D9 completely broken, GL a little less). With insufficient time to resolve it, I restored the block."

https://github.com/win32ss/supermium/issues/200#issuecomment-1913945329

Fonts are really terrible for me, too!

18 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

OK, thanks. I see.

Now I'm very curious what the real culprit might be. :yes:

Maybe the author can find something in the dump files we sent him.

Try on another hardware? It could be CPU related.

4 hours ago, VistaLover said:

(TL;DRKB942288 is Windows_Installer-v4.5; redistributables existed for XP SP2/3 through to Vista SP0/1 - and their Server counterparts ;) ; existed, because now evil MS :realmad: have removed them from the Download Center :()

Found it in a dark corner of the internet:

https://legacyupdate.net/download-center/download/8483/windows-installer-4.5-redistributable

41 minutes ago, Saxon said:

Fonts are really terrible for me, too!

FF allows for a browser fonts folder/settings. There has to be something like that in chromium.

42 minutes ago, Saxon said:

"Chromium disabled hardware acceleration on Windows XP in November 2013. The GPU "bug" that blocked this acceleration was removed a month or two ago, but it was more unstable than I would've liked (D3D9 completely broken, GL a little less). With insufficient time to resolve it, I restored the block."

A pity it was restored. It must be a nasty bug, FF did the same a few years later (movement between ff48 or so to ff52) but for those who could manage their system, manageable.

Let your firewall allow all connections, unblock google s*** while you install your preferred extensions, and then (once all is set up, your app prefs, your browser prefs are to your liking), save these to copy over to your EMPTY profile (delete before if needed). 

These ones you should update to your baseline profile when you make changes to them. 

PS: this and the next post come (mostly) from discussions around the 360chrome mods of Articfoxie and Hummingowl.

Noname.png.96a57785d9e498539f69f91aaddd54cf.png

Edited by dmiranda

These are the opposite: what look like folders are in the standard supernium profile files, what look like files are folders.  Copying these over an empty profile before starting the browser prevent (in part) the innate spyware nature of chrome.

Together with the prior set of files/folders, these are all you need to create a profile from scratch. The rest, the browser does by itself (it would do the ones below too, files as folders, folders as files, if you let it do so).

On the level above "Default", you can also create these empty files to prevent folder creation or session independent 0 byte items. See second image. The folders GraphiteDawnCache, GrShaderCache, ShaderCache and the file BrowserMetrics-spare are beyond these mundane tricks, so don't bother to try (or try and let us know how you did it)

Noname.png

Noname.png

Edited by dmiranda

3 hours ago, dmiranda said:

BTW, the upload function (at least for MSFN) is f***ed up in supernium

Noname.png

dude, watch your language, you're supposed to be polite on the forum, respectful to developers' work. Don't like, don't use, or report issues politely. Take example from my posts.