Any free antivirus for Win7 in 2023?

VVallter Breneka

10 minutes ago, Vistapocalypse said:

This does not bode well for this forum’s future.

I've often wondered if I should "share" my Win10 mod's.  I will not!  But I have often wondered what kind of "traction" or "userbase" it would add to MSFN.  But alas I also thought that with 360Chrome and the harsh reality is "we are a dying breed".

Win10 works perfectly well on "older" hardware.  No!  Not 20yr old hardware!  But works perfectly well on 10-15 year old hardware!

Unfortunately, MSFN only gets new members trying to turn their "older" hardware or "older" OS into a GAMING PC - MSFN is not a "gaming communitiy" (we have several gamers, I am not amongst them, but "gaming" isn't MSFN's 'bread and butter').

These new members last a week, if that!  Then it's back to us "regulars".  Unsure what our average AGE is, but something tells me it's way over mid-40s.

Do we even have a section dedicated to SMART PHONES?  That is the ONLY thing that "kids these days" even USE!

But why would we have a section dedicated to SMART PHONES, wouldn't we need a "mobile version" of the web site for them to even visit?

I say that with so many Stylus tweaks applied to MSFN that I kind of forget what it is "supposed" to look like - my view would work on a mobile device but it is FAR from the "default" layout.

4 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Do we even have a section dedicated to SMART PHONES?  That is the ONLY thing that "kids these days" even USE!

But why would we have a section dedicated to SMART PHONES, wouldn't we need a "mobile version" of the web site for them to even visit?

It is not only “kids these days” who are using smart phones. My mother (may she rest in peace) actually had an iPhone (a gift from my sister) before I did, since I was so attached to my old Vista PC in those days. And not only in the United States: My recent reading about app bans in India leaves little doubt that practically everyone in that country uses a smart phone.

MSFN works fine from my iPhone! One thing I cannot seem to do that was quite possible using a PC is insert a quotation from an external source, although quoting other posts in the same thread is no problem.

I doubt that the OP will find page 2 very helpful, but I already answered as best I could on page 1.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:49 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Malwarebytes Premium is not free

wow how did you come to that conclusion ? ...

beside the only difference between Free and Payed is active/background "protection"
is it AV ? - yes it is

On 8/11/2023 at 12:23 AM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

My brain is so awesome that the voices in my heard were crickets chirping as I read through the post dates of that mobile section.

Duh, MSFN can't possibly compete with XDA Developers.

On 8/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

For many MSFN members, Windows 7 is “too recent” to even contemplate, much less use.

And there's a bunch of us for whom even Windows 8.1 is too old.:buehehe:

On 8/10/2023 at 11:32 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

This does not bode well for this forum’s future. :(

It's still home to some useful programs for Windows 8+, OldNewExplorer thread has over 2,5 million views. Imagine the traffic the site would get throughout the years if it was also home to ClassicShell. There are still good drama/toxicity free parts of the forum (what could be called "good old MSFN"), they have one common denominator, not being visited by Vista/XP users.

On 8/7/2023 at 6:49 PM, Vistapocalypse said:

Malwarebytes Premium is not free

3 hours ago, vinifera said:

wow how did you come to that conclusion ? ...

From what I could gather, Malwarebytes Premium specifically refers to their paid product.

3 hours ago, vinifera said:

is it AV ? - yes it is

I thought there was a difference between anti-malware and anti-virus, but what do I know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antivirus_software

On 8/10/2023 at 5:55 PM, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I've often wondered if I should "share" my Win10 mod's.  I will not!  But I have often wondered what kind of "traction" or "userbase" it would add to MSFN.  But alas I also thought that with 360Chrome and the harsh reality is "we are a dying breed".

Win10 works perfectly well on "older" hardware.  No!  Not 20yr old hardware!  But works perfectly well on 10-15 year old hardware!

There are many computers that can't handle Windows 10 properly. In 2021 I was working in an attorney office as a secretary. The computer I had to use was one of those all in one PCs that are just the monitor with everything inside. The computer came originally with Windows 7 but someone installed Windows 10 on it. I must say it was slow as hell. It was running a cheap Celeron CPU and it could take almost 5 minutes to boot. Many people bought these computers thinking 2 things. They're saving space and by the price it must be good. In my country those computers costed way more than a traditional desktop. But were really crap.

Other computers that can't handle Windows 10 are those HP Stream laptops that were sold with only 32Gb of space !Their small space would fill itself with windows updates making the computer unusable unless you disable updates.

Edited by tekkaman

4 hours ago, alzcore397 said:

eset, kaspersky.

There is no free version of ESET, and the original poster is already a Kaspersky user looking for a free alternative. However this discussion has clearly left the OP’s question behind, and the products you mention are good choices. :)