Any free antivirus for Win7 in 2023?

VVallter Breneka

I move from Win7 to Linux, but it will last and I am running out of a license to Kaspersky. It makes no sense to extend it, so I'm looking for some free anti -virus that can protect my win7 for about a few months.
Can any of you recommend something to me?

Edited by VVallter Breneka

3 hours ago, VVallter Breneka said:

I move from Win7 to Linux, but it will last and I am running out of a license to Kaspersky. It makes no sense to extend it, so I'm looking for some free anti -virus that can protect my win7 for about a few months.
Can any of you recommend something to me?

Good question! Kaspersky has a free version, but I never used it and cannot tell a paid user how to downgrade to Kaspersky Free.

Microsoft Security Essentials has long been a very popular free antivirus for Windows 7. However, Microsoft once said that definition updates would be provided “until 2023,” and there have been ominous reports from MSE users recently (such as this SevenForums thread). I cannot promise you that MSE will be useful for even a few more months.

Avast/AVG also makes free versions that still support Windows 7, as does Panda.

I wrote about antivirus products that have already ended or plan to end support for Windows 7 in a March 1 post.

I'd go with that too ^. MSE has some big annoyances like flagging up a problem and then giving you no other option, whatever the settings, but to 'quarantine' the file.

Can you then simply tell it to ignore the problem, as 98% of what it flags up are FPs? No, you have to go through the rigmarole of 'allowing' the item, bizarrely under the History tab.

However, that aside, it works.

Failing this I'd consider Panda too. I've had that running on a WinXP VM for several years since MSE stopped being compatible with XP installations. It is unobtrusive and although you get occasional pop-ups they're few and far between.

You could not pay me to use any recent 'free' AVAST. I used to love it because it quietly did what it was supposed to do but now, in fact for some time, it has been the epitome of the worst aspects of obnoxiously intrusive, self-promoting, adware-like 'free' software.

I also can not forgive AVAST for ruining Piriform's CCleaner in much the same way and neglecting for years almost all Piriform's other other useful tools.     

MSE was indeed a luxury car compared to other jalopies I have driven, but the end of the road appears to be approaching now.

Panda gave me big trouble a long time ago and I was never inclined to try it again: https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-31851125

Like so many users of CCleaner, I disliked the changes that began in 2017 - but that did not dissuade me from using an old version of Avast Free on Vista (18.8, which still receives definition updates). I’m not familiar with more recent versions of Avast.

@VVallter Breneka will need to run Kaspersky’s removal tool before trying to install another free antivirus.

5 hours ago, vinifera said:

Trend Micro House Call

Malwarebytes Antimalware

Malwarebytes Premium is not free and Malwarebytes Free is not an antivirus, whereas the original post inquired about a “free antivirus” - but true enough, Malwarebytes still supports Windows 7 assuming one did not skip the SHA-2 update (which is also required by MSE, ESET, etc.)

5 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Yes, the original poster should probably just downgrade his Kaspersky. (@tekkaman are you using Kaspersky Free on XP Pro x64, and if so what version?)

Kaspersky is a Harmful Software, US government report.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-8286

@VVallter BrenekaPlease keep in mind, Vistapocalypse is not a windows user, since long time ago, but rather iPhone exclusive. link

More to the point, Vistapocalypse never used "Kaspersky" himself. link

8 hours ago, Saxon said:

Kaspersky is a Harmful Software

SO IS NORTON, SO IS McAFEE, SO IS COMODO, SO IS AVIRA, SO IS AVAST, SO IS MALWAREBYTES, SO IS AVG...

Use that database web site and perform some searches for other antivirus programs  --  https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/search

I'm showing 75 for Avast - read through all of them before using any Avast product and if they apply to the product you wish to use.

I'm showing 90 for Kaspersky - read through all of them before using any Kaspersky product and if they apply to the product you wish to use.

I'm showing 25 for Malwarebytes - read through all of them before using any Malwarebytes product and if they apply to the product you wish to use.

114 for Norton...

37 for Avira...

40 for AVG...

44 for Comodo...

482 for McAfee...  No, that's not a typo, four hundred and eighty two...

3,019 when I search for Firefox...  Again, not a typo - three thousand and nineteen...

38 when I search for Chromium...

3,440 when I search for Chrome...

6,728 when I search for Linux...  Six thousand seven hundred and twenty eight...

557 when I search for antivirus...

Pointing out these CVE "issues" does have its place, but it is mostly FEARMONGERINGhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fearmongering

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

And if we are being "truly fair", to anybody that is "concerned" with CVE reports - "why are you on Win7 then?"  Shouldn't the "sky be falling" with all of the CVEs reported for Win7?

Afterall, "Windows 7" has 1,412 CVE reports to "Windows 10" having "fewer" at 1,195 and to "Windows 11" having "only" 81.

Heck, "Windows XP" only has 656.

NONE of these stop MSFN Members from using Win7 or XP.  Or Vista with their 737 CVE reports.

I am not "for" or "against" Kaspersky!  But come on, let's be a bit more "fair and unbiased" in our discussions.

Our "whole universe" should NOT revolve around a CVE report from 2019.

There are ways to REMOVE the "unique Product ID" if you guys truly WANTED to, but the reality is that you'd rather "talk it down" as opposed to seeking/discussing SOLUTIONS.

image.thumb.png.4b2932957796ed5ebe9d9e0a659c9238.png

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

15 hours ago, Saxon said:

Kaspersky is a Harmful Software, US government report.

https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln/detail/CVE-2019-8286

@VVallter BrenekaPlease keep in mind, Vistapocalypse is not a windows user, since long time ago, but rather iPhone exclusive. link

More to the point, Vistapocalypse never used "Kaspersky" himself. link

All antiviruses became bad when they added cloud scanning. The only question you have to ask yourself is to which government you send your data to. Do you trust your government ? Or a government from another country? The reason US government say Kaspersky is bad is the same reason they say Tiktok is bad. US goverment wants the data of it's citizens. If everyone stops using Facebook, Twitter or any data collecting company that it's not US located they loose the data of their people. It's a war for your data.

@Vistapocalypse I was using Eset 5 until it they stopped supporting XP. I have been too busy and haven't had the time to check Kaspersky on XP. Eset 5 was the lightest AV I've ever used. And I really appreciated their honesty when they allowed You to decide to not enable the ESET Live Grid. I quote:  You will not lose any functionality in the software, and you will still receive the best protection that we offer.

Edited by tekkaman

It might be a little late to warn the original poster about how “harmful” Kaspersky supposedly is because he is already a paid Kaspersky user looking for a free alternative.

On 8/10/2023 at 2:51 PM, tekkaman said:

I have been too busy and haven't had the time to check Kaspersky on XP.

Kaspersky 18 is still an option for XP, and probably 19 (but there is no official download link for a KFA 19 installer).

Edited by Dave-H
Inflammatory comments removed.