Antimalware, firewall, and other security programs for Windows XP working in 2023 and hopefully beyond

AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Avast might also be compromised by foreign intelligence agencies

If you're worried about an NSA backdoor, it doesn't have one, don't worry.

Besides, the XP version won't be updated anyway (aside from getting the virus definition updates), so we're safe even though now the company is no longer the one it used to be...

Edited by FranceBB

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

If you're worried about an NSA backdoor, it doesn't have one, don't worry.

Besides, the XP version won't be updated anyway (aside from getting the virus definition updates), so we're safe even though now the company is no longer the one it used to be...

No, Vistapocalypse warned us about the dangers coming from the KGB(FSB) or whatever they call Russian spies these days, and I'm grateful for that warning! It makes me wonder, why do you even assume, a fellow American, such as him, would be afraid of the NSA, right @Vistapocalypse, you aren't afraid of the NSA or their alleged "backdoor" in Avast or anywhere else?

4 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

If either of those works on your Vista x64 with extended kernel, then by all means post something about it in the Vista Forum! Those poor extended kernel users still haven’t reported any antivirus that works except Kaspersky after all this time. :( (Or perhaps you have given up on the extended kernel, I wouldn’t know.)

I'm pleased you still remember me! Unfortunately, as others had pointed out many times, any programmes that may or may not work with Vista x64, be it with ot without kernel, or any other third party modifications, has nothing to do with this topic and Windows XP, I think we better move to another one, or you just tell us about your encounters with Windows XP x86 and any AV that works good there, thanks.

1 hour ago, Cocodile said:

Dr. Web made an antivirus, too. So what you wtote is not completely off-topic, and thank you for reminding us it's Russian. 

I have only used Dr. Web a handful of times in my life

at first glance I thought it could serve me to look up some undetected trojans by other scanners

last time I used it my computer got infected, I downloaded it again to make sure it was a clean executable file but I think Virus Total reported back some suspicious bits.

I can't tell for sure whether the russians injected malicious code into their last scanner releases since the start of the war

it's an offline scanner that you have to download everytime a new release is out otherwise it won't run

this security tool is also developed in RUSSIA https://greatis.com/security/ @Cixert

Edited by Milkinis

4 hours ago, Milkinis said:

I have only used Dr. Web a handful of times in my life

at first glance I thought it could serve me to look up some undetected trojans by other scanners

last time I used it my computer got infected, I downloaded it again to make sure it was a clean executable file but I think Virus Total reported back some suspicious bits.

I can't tell for sure whether the russians injected malicious code into their last scanner releases since the start of the war

Thank you! That's all one would need to know about Russian "security" software! I really appreciate your advice and will make sure to avoid that programme in the future!

With such members like you, who are open-minded and always ready to show the truth, the World will hear the warnings!

Edited by Cocodile

21 hours ago, Dixel said:

Panda was confusing though)))) I thought it was Chinese, now I see it's European, and I'll not hesitate to use it!

I had not given the company much thought since the debacle of March 2015, but found myself thinking about its survival prospects (tough times for the antivirus industry with Microsoft stealing so many customers) and looked it up. Panda Security has been a wholly-owned subsidiary of American company WatchGuard for 3 years. This is somewhat encouraging I think.

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/news/watchguard-completes-panda/

16 hours ago, Milkinis said:

this security tool is also developed in RUSSIA

More like:

"this exploit is also developed in Russia" LMAO

Jokes aside, thanks for the info, but I don't really feel like using anything Russian made on my machine and I think it's the same for pretty much everyone here...

Edited by FranceBB

1 hour ago, FranceBB said:

...I don't really feel like using anything Russian made on my machine and I think it's the same for pretty much everyone here...

Better get rid of 7-zip then - or is open-source software permissible? How do you feel about using Chinese-made software?

3 hours ago, Vistapocalypse said:

Better get rid of 7-zip then - or is open-source software permissible? How do you feel about using Chinese-made software?

What's 7-zip? I never heard of it before, and I can't find it in any AntiVirus software list?

44 minutes ago, Cocodile said:

What's 7-zip? I never heard of it before, and I can't find it in any AntiVirus software list?

7-Zip is a file archiver. It is no security programme. It is great and my main file compression and extrcting programme. IMHO, there are no security concerns. But talking about it here is definitely off-topic. So you're right. You won't find it in any antimalware software list. smilie_denk_24.gif But you can find a description here: 

In the case, 7-Zip has been updated in the meantime, I will edit my article soon.

Edited by AstroSkipper

"Avast antivirus subsidiary sells 'Every search. Every click. Every buy. On every site.' Its clients have included Home Depot, Google, Microsoft, Pepsi, and McKinsey."

"An antivirus program used by hundreds of millions of people around the world is selling highly sensitive web browsing data to many of the world's biggest companies, a joint investigation by Motherboard and PCMag has found."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/qjdkq7/avast-antivirus-sells-user-browsing-data-investigation

3 hours ago, FranceBB said:

Jokes aside, thanks for the info, but I don't really feel like using anything Russian made on my machine and I think it's the same for pretty much everyone here...

you can't compare a software utility from a large company tied to the KREMLIN to amateur projects that work perfectlly well on XP

I don't think every russian made tool out there is utilized as an ''exploit'' https://github.com/dragokas/hijackthis

1 hour ago, Cocodile said:

"Avast antivirus subsidiary sells 'Every search. Every click. Every buy. On every site.'

this is what Google and others do every single day. nothing is for free.

Avast background services can't be disabled by any means.

3 hours ago, Milkinis said:

Thank you for the confirmation of Avast being a spy tool! Having honest feedback from realtime users is always good!

20 minutes ago, Milkinis said:

I have chosen to block Cocodile’s content, but from your quotation it appears that he has dredged up old privacy concerns about Avast that were of course discussed in another thread more than 3 years ago (MSFN wasn’t born yesterday, and AstroSkipper and I were both Avast users back then). To make a long story short, Avast halted the practice soon after it was widely publicized. Here’s a link that was first brought to our attention by @jaclaz, who I thank:

https://www.pcmag.com/news/avast-to-end-browser-data-harvesting-terminates-jumpshot