MSFN board is not available in Russia without VPN

Egorkaru

Why since February 2023, the MSFN board is not available in Russia without a VPN? Checking availability through the service https://2ip.ru/site-availability shows that the MSFN board is not available in Russia:

untitled.thumb.png.370d639b81f7a257d296ef319297854d.png

I'm currently accessing the MSFN board via the VeePN VPN extension on Mozilla Firefox 84.0.2 on Windows 10: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/downloads/file/3546485/veepn_free_fast_security_vpn-2.0.7.xpi
MSFN admins, please fix this bug for Russian users!

Edited by Egorkaru

Why the MSFN board still unavailable from Russian IP addresses?
MSFN admins, do you understand that it is very inconvenient for me to use a VPN or Tor Browser to access the MSFN board from the territory of the Russian Federation? If there is no serious justification, then please remove the MSFN geo-blocking for Russian IP addresses.

Edited by Egorkaru

3 hours ago, Egorkaru said:

Why the MSFN board still unavailable from Russian IP addresses?
MSFN admins, do you understand that it is very inconvenient for me to use a VPN or Tor Browser to access the MSFN board from the territory of the Russian Federation? If there is no serious justification, then please remove the MSFN geo-blocking for Russian IP addresses.

Tell us, will that "territory" include the recently occupied neighbours ?

Legal explanations from a lawyer :

The territory of Russian Federation was internationally recognised only in the borders of 1991.

Since your Russian Federation illegally annexed territories from its neighbours,

it has no recognised borders anymore. 

On 2/4/2023 at 4:00 AM, Egorkaru said:

MSFN admins, please fix this bug for Russian users!

You may have to consider that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

MSFN has been hit HARD with cryptocurrency spam BS.

It is entirely possible (though admins would need to chime in to verify) that what you call a "bug" is NOT a bug but the best method available to keep the BS spam off of MSFN.

I would rather have a spam-free MSFN and "hinder" a few rule-following Russian users then revert to a non-hindering setup plagued with cryptocurrency BS.

spacer.png

3 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

You may have to consider that "the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few".

It is entirely possible (though admins would need to chime in to verify) that what you call a "bug" is NOT a bug but the best method available to keep the BS spam off of MSFN.

I would rather have a spam-free MSFN and "hinder" a few rule-following Russian users then revert to a non-hindering setup plagued with cryptocurrency BS.

spacer.png

I absolutely agree with you ! Also they could just be following the world sanctions

(declared by all normal countries). MSFN is under European (Danish ? Dutch ?) jurisdiction.

So MSFN ought to comply with the Euro sanctions (ie - ban everything Russia).

It's a very serious matter, since the russkies are not allowed to use any western tech (software/hardware).

I have a friend in Germany, he once told, russkie tourists buy drones for their 

military use, and the German customs is on high alert. 

Here they can read some pretty useful info, so no good, no good at all.

P.S.

Sorry can't put a reaction, maybe you already read. 

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183266-pretty-detox-posts/?do=findComment&comment=1237478

8 hours ago, Egorkaru said:

MSFN admins, do you understand that it is very inconvenient for me to use a VPN or Tor Browser to access the MSFN

Oh really ? 

Cry wolf ! russia blocks itself and then whines. Just open the news and see. 

Russia blocked all major Western social media, incuding but not limited to instagram , facebook , twitter and so on

https://thehill.com/opinion/technology/3520997-why-russia-blocked-western-social-media-but-not-youtube/

Starting on 28th of February russia will also block youtube !

It's getting even "better" .

Russia bans Facebook and Instagram under ‘extremism’ law !

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/21/russia-bans-facebook-and-instagram-under-extremism-law

Maybe you'll complain to your poetin then ?

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

In uBlock I've allowed whole MSFN (so two "+" and one "-") to not have website performance problems...

You are suggesting that this "-" under MSFN in uBlock is against cryptocurrency spam? I have never had any problems with cryptocurrency spam. So I'm able to put "likes".

Edited by msfntor

5 minutes ago, msfntor said:

I have never had any problems with cryptocurrency spam.

I'm positive that you HAVE if you log in often enough and at the correct times of day.

The admins/moderators are VERY FAST to DELETE/REMOVE the cryptocurrencty BS so you haven't seen them because the admins/moderators are VERY FAST.

21 minutes ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

I'm positive that you HAVE if you log in often enough and at the correct times of day.

The admins/moderators are VERY FAST to DELETE/REMOVE the cryptocurrencty BS so you haven't seen them because the admins/moderators are VERY FAST.

Never seen this cryptocurrency spam. Where do I look to see it, at what "correct times"?

Edited by msfntor

Admins/moderators have already DELETED THEM and have already FIXED the forum from getting future BS.

We had a "software update" early January or so largely in part to keep this BS from POLLUTING our neighborhood.

I witnessed a good dozen or so of these BS cryptocurrency NUISANCES and our awesome admin/moderator teams was very quick to remove them.  :thumbup

The ones that I witnessed seemed to always occur between the hours of 3am and 7am Eastern Standard Time.  (between 9am and 1pm Central Europan Time [France])

Edited by NotHereToPlayGames

We understand that this is frustrating for our users, but as others have pointed out, we've been hit with many posts with crypto-currency spam. They are even taking over regular member accounts to post spam. These attacks were originating in Russia so unfortunately, we had to take steps in order to prevent this from happening. This isn't just MSFN specific but other forums are experiencing this as well. The last thing we want is the board to become compromised to the point where someone causes major damage. Therefor, xper employed a few tactics to help curb these attacks. We're not blocking Russia due to anything political, because of their beliefs or current events surrounding them, it's simply to keep the board safe.

7 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

Ive even reported a few of these posts recently (even in one of my own topics)