state of windows 7 in 2023-beyond?

legacyfan

• legacyfan changed the title to state of windows 7 in 2023-beyond?

On 12/7/2022 at 7:42 PM, legacyfan said:

with the extended esu updates ending soon and no extension being made will windows 7 still be usable beyond 2023? with as much as ive seen drivers slowly disappear from compatibility and all the windows 10-11 nag screens I just don't know so my question is will it still be usable in 2023-beyond? (part of the state of windows project)

Sure you can. There are people, who still use Windows XP and Vista. 

First, I want to clarify that people come here, in order to help reviving these older operating systems. It‘s in no ones interest to treat them like „abandoned ware“ here. There are masterminds like @win32, who put so much effort into developing Kernels for older systems, so that we can run our favorite OS, no matter how old it is, nowadays. In my opinion, people who do nothing but repeat what the richy rich companies like M$ or Google say and oppositely try to make everyone not use those OS, have nothing to do here. No logic input, only helpless statements. If we wanted to hear „give up, move to Windows 10 everyone“, we wouldn‘t come here! 

There are tough times waiting for us now. As far as I know, Chrome 109 is really the last one for Windows 7 and no methods exist to run newer ones. I am not using Windows 7, but 8.1, which can indeed run Chrome 110. It took @win32 also a lot of effort to develop an Extended Kernel for Windows Vista, which made us run newer Chrome versions on it. You have to wait for an extended Kernel for Windows 7 as well and until then, I would simply use Firefox (or Chrome till February 2023). As far as Security Updates, you already mentioned PosReady 7

11 hours ago, D.Draker said:

They key word here is "someone". And I can not confirm this. So no hardware for win 7 exists.

No drivers from the official Intel link also.

All of that hardware devices you say, will obviously work with with win 7, simply because they are from its era.

But hardware that would still make sense to  use (no older than 6 years) - doesn't , and it's official.

No, just because it was impossible for you to install Kaby Lake on Windows 7 it doesn't mean automatically it was impossible for others as well.

Just read this article: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-a-kaby-lake-pc.3025661/

5 hours ago, rainyd said:

No, just because it was impossible for you to install Kaby Lake on Windows 7 it doesn't mean automatically it was impossible for others as well.

Just read this article: https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/guide-installing-windows-7-on-a-kaby-lake-pc.3025661/

Why would I read an article from early 2017 for such obsolete hardware ? We shall have 2023 in a couple of weeks.

I don't know people who would voluntarily purchase a 6 years old laptop just to be able (possibly, without any hard proof) use Win 7.

From what I know, that trick worked only for some early Kaby-lake models.

16 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

lmao even amd b450 has official win 7 drivers and that chipset supports all cpus up to 5800X3D / 5950X... didn't know 2020 was already 6 years ago

The First BIOS update release was issued on 2018/06/27, so looks like you lost in time,

and I completely understand, time flies. And it's not the first B450 Mobo.

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-M-rev-1x/support#support-dl-bios

it doesn't really matter when the motherboard or the chipset was initially released when it has been updated constantly... point is on that platform you can use a modern cpu that came out as recently as 8 months ago, namely the 5800X3D, and even the Zen 3 architecture as a whole is just around 2 years old (released in Nov 2020). so saying you can't use hardware released during the past 6 years or there are no official win 7 drivers for them is just bollocks.

D.Draker, care to explain what is purpose of your presence on this section of forum?

Because to me, looks like you're an annoying Windows Vista fan, who is trying intentionally p*** off Windows 7 users.

Edited by rainyd

3 hours ago, rainyd said:

D.Drake, care to explain what is purpose of your presence on this section of forum?

Because to me, looks like you're an annoying Windows Vista fan, who trying intentionally p*** off Windows 7 users.

Care to explain your off-topic (and now offensive) posts that contain no actual links and written in the style "someone, somewhere, I said so".

How about, for starters, I see you're an AMD fan, so please provide the OP with AMD video drivers from this year, thanks.

3 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

5800X3D, and even the Zen 3 architecture

Oh , I see , you the mean the "new" elite line of AMD CPU that barely catches up with the cheap as dirt Pentium from Q2 2020.

Thanks, of course I'll consider it along with the 1800 watt PSU and a huge copper cooler and extra huge ATX case.

All fot Windows 7 support with both hands !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LE8galqW2o

39 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Care to explain your off-topic (and now offensive) posts that contain no actual links and written in the style "someone, somewhere, I said so".

How about, for starters, I see you're an AMD fan, so please provide the OP with AMD video drivers from this year, thanks.

Looks like the best idea would be to put you just on ignore because you are behaving like a troll.

33 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Oh , I see , you the mean the "new" elite line of AMD CPU that barely catches up with the cheap as dirt Pentium from Q2 2020.

Thanks, of course I'll consider it along with the 1800 watt PSU and a huge copper cooler and extra huge ATX case.

All fot Windows 7 support with both hands !

This is just another confirmation of trolling.

Edited by rainyd

32 minutes ago, rainyd said:

D.Drake, care to explain what is purpose of your presence on this section of forum?

Because to me, looks like you're an annoying Windows Vista fan, who trying intentionally p*** off Windows 7 users.

I have to concur with you.  Years ago, I was the same way as D.Drake about using XP as a daily driver on the Internet.  It irked me that people here didn’t want to conform to the conditions of a Microsoft license.  I embraced Vista and never looked back.  And I wanted the “Luddites” on MSFN to follow suit.

That is until ... Windows 10

I really love Windows 8, as many of you know.  I came to see how my usage of an EOL product was misunderstood by some.  Now I could see how self-centred I was to the XP fans here.  I remembered that until Windows 8 came along, that my installation of Windows XP x64 Edition was likely the most stable and fastest environment I had ever worked on.  Before that, I recall my years with Windows 2000 with equally great fondness.

So, how could I be such a d—k head  to those that wanted to run older environments?  Sure, my idea of desirable vintage would be 2012 flat.  So while I detest the Mozilla Proton interface and the look of Windows 10, I rather like the look of Windows 8 and Quantum.  There was still some sort of dimension with the flatness then.  Heck, I wish outlook.com web mail still looked like the Windows 8 style Metro client, like it did until 2015.

And while daily Internet use of Windows 2000 and XP baffles me, I shouldn’t impose my feelings on others.  Moreover, I’m amazed at some of the progress people here have made getting more recent browsers to work on past OS builds.  Roytam1 is a big contributor in this arena, but myPal 68 is an even bigger achievement.  Apparently, more modern attempts at browsers on Windows 9x are also being developed.  I never thought I’d see that.

I've come to realize that MSFN is a haven for vintage computing, plain and simple, and one should embrace that.  I wish I had been more gracious years ago.

15 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LE8galqW2o

where do you see a pentium in that video? i hope you know that's a comparison between two graphics cards while using the 5800X3D. or did you really confuse the Radeon RX 6600 with the Pentium G6600 which indeed was released in Q2 2020?

Edited by athlonxpuser

6 minutes ago, athlonxpuser said:

where do you see a pentium in that video? i hope you know that's a comparison between two graphics cards while using the 5800X3D. or did you really confuse the Radeon RX 6600 with the Pentium G6600 which indeed was released in Q2 2020?

Don't waste your time on him, he's clearly here for trolling.

Btw, 5800X3D it's Zen 3 architecture with increased L3 size through vertical stacking.

3 hours ago, Jody Thornton said:

how could I be such a d—k head  to those that wanted to run older environments?

I run even more older environments than all of you combined together !

But facts are facts, and when someone wants to enter an argument (I mean, a good healthy argument for the sakes of finding a solution,

not a scandalous or trolling like they want it to be), one needs to provide links and confirmed technical aspects , this is what 

MSFN is for ! Sources like "trust me bro" are no good, being a mature male, you gotta understand this, no ? 

4 hours ago, athlonxpuser said:

If you didn't like the video, here's a link for you .

The most important Single Core Speed (D3DRAW calls) is 126 Pts vs 154 Pts

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-12600KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-5800X3D/m1700734vsm1817839

50 bucks G6600

Release date ≈ Q2 2020. Runs on el-cheapo crappy board with aluminum (free) heatsink and 200W PSU.

320USD "official" and real street price is 450 USD - 5800X3D

"AMD's Ryzen 7 5800X3D CPU will be available April 20th for $449"

https://www.engadget.com/amd-ryzen-7-5800x3d-release-date-price-144017796.html

Release date ≈ April 2022.

Plus a gazillion bucks PSU and an expensive cooler for it. Oh yeah, definitely worth it, only to able to run Win 7.

I'm sure the OP (who was struggling to purchase GTX750) will honour your advice "

AMD never ceases to amaze me.