Future of Chrome on Windows 7

yoltboy01

2 hours ago, SC7601 said:

Just going to put a LTS(C) version of Windows 10 and call it a day.

Agreed.  I was 100% XP (some x86, some x64) just a few months ago on eight of all nine of my computers (with that one exception being Win7).

The Win7 laptop is still on 7.  But four of the eight that were on XP all now run a WinReducerEX'd and NTLite'd Win10 LTSB.  I could get an LTSC from work but so far I prefer LTSB.

I'm still "testing" Firefox versus Chrome/Chromium versions (I do not support "newer is better" and run older if they perform better).

So far each and every time I test a Firefox version, it suffers miserably compared to Chrome/Chromium - I feel like I keep wasting my time even trying them.

But agreed, we should not let one browser/engine take over the entire web.

My Ungoogled Chromium already disables automatic updates but I do have an installed version of Chrome 107 that requests an update whenever I exit.

I tried the method submitted above and it did prevent the update request.  But it also rendered my Chrome 107 useless and I have reverted to my original setup to restore functionality.

9 hours ago, SC7601 said:

You don't seem to get why I said that, I don't care about the country where it comes. I download from Russian sites a lot (should have I said that? :whistle:) I said it because they are removing Manifest V2 support and MV3 makes ad blockers less functional than before. Even I got no extensions working on first page open (YT Music), you have to reload the page in order to get extensions working. Chromium works better than FF, but we shouldn't let one browser (engine) to take over all the Web. So use Firefox at least few times just to increase the market share.

Anyway, hopefully I won't have to install Linux to a second partition (just to browse the web) if I get a job and save for my next PC. Just going to put a LTS(C) version of Windows 10 and call it a day.

No, I got that very good, you even used some foul language to explain it to us. You don't like the policies of Western companies, in this case Google, so like I said, you'd have to use the Turkish browser, sorry forgot its name, and use Turkish OS so you won't bother yourself with Linux.

4 hours ago, ChromEum said:

My Ungoogled Chromium already disables automatic updates but I do have an installed version of Chrome 107 that requests an update whenever I exit.

I tried the method submitted above and it did prevent the update request.  But it also rendered my Chrome 107 useless and I have reverted to my original setup to restore functionality.

Define "useless" . Can't update itself is useless ? lol. Provide screenshots of what exactly's not working for you. 

Here is mine, working fine . This is assuming you use flags, like no first run and no default browser.

Screenshot_20221107_161405.png

1 minute ago, D.Draker said:

Define "useless" .

I don't have the skills to debug but when I did those changes, I could no longer launch Chrome 107.  It would blip open for a split second and then crash itself closed.  I just tried again with no first run and no default browser and it still blips to a crash.  My only guess is that it has to do with video/graphics.  I keep the vulkan, two lib*.dll, and swiftshader files and now all seems fine and no update prompt at every exit.

3 hours ago, ChromEum said:

I keep the vulkan, two lib*.dll, and swiftshader files and now all seems fine and no update prompt at every exit.

I'm glad it finally worked for you ! To be able to delete the rest, you'd have to use --disable-gpu flag to switch off that "volcano" crap and it won't bother you anymore.

23 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

No, I got that very good, you even used some foul language to explain it to us. You don't like the policies of Western companies, in this case Google, so like I said, you'd have to use the Turkish browser, sorry forgot its name, and use Turkish OS so you won't bother yourself with Linux.

You still getting it toooo wrong. I said I'm using Firefox, and is it Eastern? No! LOOK IT'S WESTERN! :o

loll.png.54ab412efb8b38b02fcc76f5725660ea.png

Seriously, what makes you think Turks don't like west? We have many people who wants to go and live in the west, thanks to Mr. President who made our country miserable.
But let's stop talking about that here, this is not the right place to discuss that.

You mentioned that I've used some foul language, yet that comes from someone can't spell "convenient":

loll2.thumb.png.1d483a89517b3ddd10d9f00fc5e28d85.png

If you point out my mistakes, then I'll do the same to you - there's nothing odd here.
Go and (try to) humiliate Turkish somewhere else - this is not the place where you can do it (directly or indirectly, you literally said "Haha, you guys don't even have your own browser/OS and you dare to dislike others' stuff!").

11 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

I'm glad it finally worked for you ! To be able to delete the rest, you'd have to use --disable-gpu flag to switch off that "volcano" crap and it won't bother you anymore.

Could you link to reasons to switch off the vulkan stuff?  It works with the vulkan stuff and --diable-gpu didn't seem to do anything.  Did not know how to test with and without so for now I will keep vulcan.

3 hours ago, SC7601 said:

You still getting it toooo wrong. I said I'm using Firefox, and is it Eastern? No! LOOK IT'S WESTERN! :o

loll.png.54ab412efb8b38b02fcc76f5725660ea.png

Seriously, what makes you think Turks don't like west? We have many people who wants to go and live in the west, thanks to Mr. President who made our country miserable.
But let's stop talking about that here, this is not the right place to discuss that.

You mentioned that I've used some foul language, yet that comes from someone can't spell "convenient":

loll2.thumb.png.1d483a89517b3ddd10d9f00fc5e28d85.png

If you point out my mistakes, then I'll do the same to you - there's nothing odd here.
Go and (try to) humiliate Turkish somewhere else - this is not the place where you can do it (directly or indirectly, you literally said "Haha, you guys don't even have your own browser/OS and you dare to dislike others' stuff!").

Yes, I made typos because I type fast and don't use autocorrection and/or translation software 'cause I think in English.

It was really very friendly of you to point out that to me ! Thank you very much !

Really, I didn't know you have no Turkish Browser. Now I (and also we) do, thanks for clarifying . I hope I din't make typos this time to disapponit you.

Have a nice day (night?) whatever.

Could you link to reasons to switch off the vulkan stuff?  It works with the vulkan stuff and --diable-gpu didn't seem to do anything.  Did not know how to test with and without so for now I will keep vulcan.

Could you link to reasons to keep it on ?

1 minute ago, D.Draker said:

Could you link to reasons to keep it on ?

I can not.  My Chrome 107 blips to a crash if I remove it.  That tells me to keep it.  I don't have a better debug process outside of this way it crashes and that way it does not crash.

It works with the vulkan stuff and --diable-gpu didn't seem to do anything.  Did not know how to test with and without so for now I will keep vulcan.

Then use --disable-vulkan .