Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

Thank you for your help, it worked. I only have one problem to report now: The bypass paywalls clean filter cant be updated. No idea why.

Glad it works. :) I hadn't any problems when updating this filter list, though. When I am back at my Windows XP computer. I will have a look at this.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

2 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

The bypass paywalls clean filter cant be updated. No idea why.

Looks like that user account has been blocked on GitLab, so the filterlist doesn't update any more.

Thanks for the update, AstroSkipper!

Edited by Amigafever

3 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

I only have one problem to report now: The bypass paywalls clean filter cant be updated. No idea why.

The project (and all its associated files) was hosted on GitLab

Several hours ago, on Fri Apr 12th 2024, that repo was taken down (or made private by its owner :dubbio:), because now any attempt to access above URL redirects to a "https://gitlab.com/users/sign_in" page (that is, after being submitted to CF-based challenge(s) :realmad: ) ...

I suspect one (or more) of the "affected services" ;) has issued DMCA requests to GitLab, because the project, in the form of standalone Chromium and Firefox extensions, had met with similar fate :( in the past... FWIW, that filter list had an accompanying userscript:

... which also can't be updated any more :( ...

The filter list was being served from: 

It and the userscript are now stuck for me at version 3.6.3.2 :} ...

Best regards :P ...

Edited by VistaLover

15 minutes ago, Amigafever said:

Looks like that user account has been blocked on GitLab, so the filterlist doesn't update any more.

Thanks for the update, AstroSkipper!

3 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

The project (and all its associated files) was hosted on GitLab

Several hours ago, on Fri Apr 12th 2024, that repo has been taken down (or made private by its owner), because now any attempt to access above URL redirects to a "https://gitlab.com/users/sign_in" page (that is, after being submitted to CF-based challenges :realmad: ) ...

I suspect one or more of the "affected services" ;) have issued DMCA requests to GitLab, because the project, in the form of Chromium and Firefox extensions, had met with similar fate :( in the past... FWIW, that filter list had an accompanying userscript

... which also can't be updated any more :( ...

The filter list was being served from: 

The filter list and userscript are now stuck for me at versions 3.6.3.2 :} ...

Best regards :P ...

Yep! This user has been blocked. Thanks for pointing to this issue! :) If this list doesn't appear anymore elsewhere, then I will have to remove this list from my release again, for better or worse.

10 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Yep! This user has been blocked. Thanks for pointing to this issue! :) If this list doesn't appear anymore elsewhere, then I will have to remove this list from my release again, for better or worse.

I understand, but it wouldnt be possible to upload the list somewhere where we can download it?

Amigafever, Vistalover - thanks for your help regarding this. :thumbup

3 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

I understand, but it wouldnt be possible to upload the list somewhere where we can download it?

3 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

I have just copied my previously downloaded list from my installation with the version number 3.6.3.2. Therefore, this last version can't disappear. :P

... From reddit

FgDKeu2.png

4R7RbY7.png

42 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Therefore, this last version can't disappear.

... But, sadly, it'll become less effective by the day, as "affected services" will defeat it sooner rather than later :( (see the comment about NYT in the screengrab above) ...

Edited by VistaLover
added second image

3 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... From reddit

FgDKeu2.png

... But, sadly, it'll become less effective by the day, as "affected services" will defeat it, sooner rather than later :( (see the comment about NYT in the screengrab above) ...

That was totally clear to me and I didn't expect anything else. But the list can still be useful for a while. :P

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Update notification! update.gif - uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 - Special mod by @AstroSkipper

I have again updated my special mod uBlock Origin Legacy from version 1.16.4.33 to version 1.16.4.34. Starting with this version, installing over an existing installation of uBlock Origin Legacy (1.16.4.34 and higher) is completely working again. :thumbup The immediate loading of the updated, internal list of all preselected filter lists (assets.json) can be triggered by the function "Purge all caches" or "Update now". From now on, the user will get the internal list of all preselected filter lists (assets.json) automatically. And I added new filter lists to different groups. More details can be found in the changelog in my main article, and of course the download link.

The update to version 1.16.4.34 should be done as already described, but this time for the very last time. The easiest way is the alternative method:

• Backup all your settings using the "Back up to file" button on the page "Settings".
  • Install the new version of uBlock Origin Legacy over the existing one.
  • Reset your installation using the "Reset to default settings" button on the page "Settings".
  • Restore all settings from your backup file.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Please re-download the file uBlock-Origin-Legacy-1.16.4.34-special-mod-by-@AstroSkipper.xpi if you have already downloaded it and have fun! :P After installing, click the button "Purge all caches" if installing over the previously downloaded version 1.16.4.34! :thumbup

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

I am and have been using an extension called "Paywall Pass" for quite some time. It gets me past NYTs blocks and many others.

It's in the CAA.

5 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

That was totally clear to me and I didn't expect anything else. But the list can still be useful for a while. :P

I have a backup of the latest uBO list, the userscript, as well as the Firefox and Chrome webextensions (MV2 unfortunately...).

Link

15 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Hello @UCyborg! I have just tested your new release uBlock Origin 1.16.6b1 by using the ad block testing site https://test.adminforge.de/adblock.html. While my release uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.34 blocked all ads with a score of 100%, your version wasn't able to do this and got a score of only 84%. The comparison was done using the same filter lists and same own filters in both versions. I was checking the performance of both releases with the uBO logger to see what's going on and noticed entries about noop.txt and noop.js in the log generated by your release which I didn't get when using my release. As far as I know, noop stands for no operation. One consequence of this is that some of my own filter rules under the tab "My rules" are simply ignored when using your release. Any ideas what your release is doing on this ad block testing site? :dubbio:

The difference is 1.16.6b1 understands "redirect-rule" directive, these explicitly state blocking of target resource is optional, so when the request to such resource is issued, it will be redirected even in presence of another blocking filter. These filters are usually written to redirect to local empty/stub resource.

That test website appears to fetch number of files from various ad domains. I suppose it expects fetches to fail entirely, which doesn't happen when it's being redirected. So uBlock still prevented access to resource the site was asking for, but rather than making it look like it failed, it just returned a local empty file. noop.txt would be an empty text file while noop.js would be a JavaScript file that executes a function that doesn't do anything.

I see an issue with the logger here that logs redirection taking place, but not the filter that caused it.

Edited by UCyborg

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, nicolaasjan said:

I have a backup of the latest uBO list, the userscript, as well as the Firefox and Chrome webextensions (MV2 unfortunately...).

Link

Thanks for that! :) Such files are worth to backup and prevent them from disappearing. :thumbup

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, UCyborg said:

The difference is 1.16.6b1 understands "redirect-rule" directive, these explicitly state blocking of target resource is optional, so when the request to such resource is issued, it will be redirected even in presence of another blocking filter. These filters are usually written to redirect to local empty/stub resource.

That test website appears to fetch number of files from various ad domains. I suppose it expects fetches to fail entirely, which doesn't happen when it's being redirected. So uBlock still prevented access to resource the site was asking for, but rather than making it look like it failed, it just returned a local empty file. noop.txt would be an empty text file while noop.js would be a JavaScript file that executes a function that doesn't do anything.

I see an issue with the logger here that logs redirection taking place, but not the filter that caused it.

Thanks for clarification! And indeed the entries generated by the logger of your version were strange and led to a slight confusion for me. :crazy: :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... But, sadly, it'll become less effective by the day, as "affected services" will defeat it sooner rather than later :( (see the comment about NYT in the screengrab above) ...

The filter list of version 3.6.3.2 still works on www.nytimes.com. :yes: Just tested.

12 hours ago, billmcct said:

I am and have been using an extension called "Paywall Pass" for quite some time. It gets me past NYTs blocks and many others.

It's in the CAA.

The last version Paywall Pass 0.0.3.1 does not work (anymore? :dubbio:I can't judge it nimportequoi.gif) on www.nytimes.com, unfortunately. smilie-denk-17.gif Just tested. And TBH, this extension has not been updated since 2015. Any kind of such technology is subject to a game of cat and mouse. The one who is more up-to-date is ahead for a short time. :P But thanks for pointing to this extension anyway! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content