Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

BTW, I do not watch YouTube videos in browsers under Windows XP:no: YouTube has become bloated and cumbersome for many years. Under Windows XP and older, weaker machines, there are different ways to watch them more unbloated and less resource-consuming. @NotHereToPlayGames One way is to use the extension uTube from RealityRipple Software for UXP browsers. Doing so, you won't see any ads, even not these annoyances at the end of the Adblocker Test Video. :thumbup All you have to do is to edit the install.rdf to make it compatible with New Moon 28 or Serpent 52.

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

Untitled.gif

Just what I say. I use much more filter lists than you. Two of them you have enabled are not used in my installation. :P When I am back at my desktop computer, I will provide a screenshot of my current configuration for better comparison. :) What I definitely know at this moment is that in my uBlock Origin Legacy installation of New Moon 28, I have enabled 21 filter lists plus my self-created filters under the tab "My filters".

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

That's a lot of filters.

But surely we dont need all those lists, i use even less lists on firefox with ublock 1.57 and all ads are blocked as they should be.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Felipefpl said:

That's a lot of filters.

But surely we dont need all those lists, i use even less lists on firefox with ublock 1.57 and all ads are blocked as they should be.

To block most elements or objects whatever they are, you surely need more filter lists in the last legacy versions of uBlock Origin than in the webextension. A lot of filters are consindered invalid by the legacy extension due to the old filter engine which lags almost 6 years behind the webextension in terms of development. Open the logger and perform an update of your filter lists in the legacy version! Then you will see what I am talking about. :P In any case, I get a lot of notifications about invalid filters when checking the logger. smilie_denk_24.gif But one thing I can say without any further proofs. You are using too few filter lists to block as much as possible with the legacy extension. :rolleyes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, billmcct said:

An adblocker is only as good as the lists you use.

I have 47 lists enabled and never see an ad.

More lists enabled = the slowest your broswer is

Also, like i said, you dont need a lot of lists to block an ad, just the adblocker needs to be improved. ;)

Sampei.Nihira/AstroSkipper - fanboy's ultimate list has Easylist, EasyPrivacy, Fanboy's Annoyances List (Which blocks anti-adblock, cookies, social media stuff) so i believe i'm pretty much protected from a lot of stuff. ;)

Edited by Felipefpl

35 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Open the logger and perform an update of your filter lists in the legacy version! Then you will see what I am talking about.

What are we looking for? I didn't notice any particular warnings about filterlist incompatibilities.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

More lists enabled = the slowest your broswer is

In theory yes but practically no.

2 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

Also, like i said, you dont need a lot of lists to block an ad, just the adblocker needs to be improved.

And who will do that? As @UCyborg and me already stated, uBlock Origin is one of the most complex extensions. He called it rightly a "beast" that is difficult to tame. And it is hard work to implement or port such improvements from the webextension. And it is not even certain that they will work as expected.Therefore, we have to use more and good filter lists to get similar results in blocking at the moment when using the legacy extension. This is my assessment so far. We will see what happens in the future. :P In any case, I didn't get such ads you observed on the website www.ovagames.comsmilie_denk_24.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Amigafever said:
1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

Open the logger and perform an update of your filter lists in the legacy version! Then you will see what I am talking about.

What are we looking for? I didn't notice any particular warnings about filterlist incompatibilities.

When updating filter lists in the legacy extension, you will see many entries in the logger considered invalid filters by uBO. At least, I see them. :whistle:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

When updating filter lists in the legacy extension, you will see many entries in the logger considered invalid filters by uBO. At least, I see them. :whistle:

Just because their invalid only means they're not used.

It clearly shows in the Filter lists window how many filters are actually used for each list.

If you have a list that shows it's using 0 out of ????? then disable it.