Extensions and custom buttons for UXP browsers - Corrections, modifications, adjustments, and special recommendations

1 hour ago, UCyborg said:

You haven't found anything I don't know yet. That site is triggering filters containing "redirect-rule=", it's not hitting any filters that contain "redirect=", so nothing is logged in 1.16.4.30. But if any such filter using "redirect=" would be hit, redirection itself would be logged just like in 1.6.16b1.

If I have understood you correctly now, then the logger of uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.3x does not show these noop things because in the these versions (before 1.16.6b1) the function "redirect-rule=" is not implemented and therefore can't be logged but only "redirect=". Right? :dubbio:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, VistaLover said:

... However, this is GitHub now, much more prone to succumbing to DMCA requests, so expect this to also vanish soon-ish :whistle: ...

More clones have been announced. So, we will see what happens. :P If so, I will add alternative download links to ensure that the list can be updated in any case. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

Thanks for the updated version, you should create a page on github for your version of ublock. Just saying. ;)

I already created a page on Codeberg but not on GitHub, although I have an account there, too. From this Codeberg page, all users of my mod uBlock Origin Legacy get the updated assets.json file automatically and only in the previous version additionally an important filter list but nothing else. :) TBH, I am an individualist and generally do things the way I want to do them. Sorry for that! :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

Subject: uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.35

Homepage/support link of the BPCF filter list changed via auto-update. The former GitLab link has of course become obsolete, too. Forgot to change it! suisjebete.gif Offline change in next version. :) And don't forget getting and applying the update immediately can be triggered by the function "Purge all caches" and "Update now"! Then reload the dashboard page! ssupercool2.gif

Greetings, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Posted (edited)

And now a tip for maintaining your uBlock Origin installation. If you enable and disable or add and delete filter lists more frequently, especially the big ones, your ublock0.sqlite file in your profile subfolder extension-data will become bloated. From time to time, I therefore recommend to backup all your settings. close your browser, delete the ublock0.sqlite file, restart the browser and restore your settings from your backup file. And there is a reason for my recommendation. :yes: Although only recently installed, this file ublock0.sqlite has swollen to 60 MB in my installation of uBO. After my maintenance, it shrunk to 30 MB with the same settings:w00t: 50% less! nonono.gif And the smaller this file, the better. Less RAM consumption, better performance. :thumbup But one thing is of course clear. Sooner or later, this file will become bloated again. That's why I said that this file should be maintained from time to time, especially to get rid of outdated content. :P

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

An interesting thing happened in the site i reported: www.ovagames.com - although the problem with anti-adblock was solved (thanks again AstroSkipper) when you click anywhere in the site ads are opened and they are blocked but sometimes another tab is opened displaying a message saying that the link was reported as bad by easylist. This doesnt happen with firefox with the latest ublock versions.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Felipefpl said:

An interesting thing happened in the site i reported: www.ovagames.com - although the problem with anti-adblock was solved (thanks again AstroSkipper) when you click anywhere in the site ads are opened and they are blocked but sometimes another tab is opened displaying a message saying that the link was reported as bad by easylist. This doesnt happen with firefox with the latest ublock versions.

If you compare the behaviour of the legacy extension with the webextension, you should only use the same filter lists in both. And you also have to look at which filter lists you combine with each other in order to achieve an optimum result. But one thing is clear. The legacy extension lags almost 6 years behind the webextension in terms of development. This means that the latter uses a much more advanced filter engine than the legacy version.

Edited by AstroSkipper

2 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

And now a tip for maintaining your uBlock Origin installation.

I've noticed this too, however I'm not sure if it's really worth it. This procedure will indeed reduce its size at first, but it will very soon increase back to its usual, larger size which in my case is around 80MB.

Not sure how soon that is, but it usually doesn't take more than a day.

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Amigafever said:

I've noticed this too, however I'm not sure if it's really worth it. This procedure will indeed reduce its size at first, but it will very soon increase back to its usual, larger size which in my case is around 80MB.

Not sure how soon that is, but it usually doesn't take more than a day.

The problem with the ublock0.sqlite file is the loading of big filter lists. If you then disable these lists at a certain time, they are not actually removed from the ublock0.sqlite file. As a result, this file continues to expand, even though the filter lists responsible for that have not been used any longer.

Edited by AstroSkipper
correction

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:
20 hours ago, Felipefpl said:

If you compare the behaviour of the legacy extension with the webextension, you should only use the same filter lists in both. And you also have to look at which filter lists you combine with each other in order to achieve an optimum result. But one thing is clear. The legacy extension lags almost 6 years behind the webextension in terms of development. This means that the latter uses a much more advanced filter engine than the legacy version.

I have opened the website www.ovagames.com again by New Moon 28 with a fully configured uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.35. No problems here. No additional pop-ups or any other ads. :no: Surfing there is easy and smooth. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper

6 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I have opened the website www.ovagames.com again by New Moon 28 with a fully configured uBlock Origin Legacy 1.16.4.35. No problems here. No additional pop-ups or any other ads. :no: Surfing there is easy and smooth. :P

I see, but did you click anywhere in the site once in a while? That's when the ads' reports come or when ads from aliexpress are opened.

Btw, the site igg-games.com suffers from the same situation.

1 hour ago, Felipefpl said:
8 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

I see, but did you click anywhere in the site once in a while? That's when the ads' reports come or when ads from aliexpress are opened.

Btw, the site igg-games.com suffers from the same situation.

I clicked everywhere on this site www.ovagames.com and its sub-sites. No pop-ups. No ads. Nothing. smilie-denk-17.gif