Firefox 52.9.0 ESR - This field is required

I can't write posts on the forum. After clicking Submit Replay message appears: This field is required:

no_post_msfn.png.96721d946da1b52f9956c90d352f2df0.png

and there are no pictures in the post.

I write this post using Mypal 68.12.2b browser.

The same problem is when I start Firefox in Safe Mode.

A few days ago I restored the WinXP 64bit system from the image and before that there was no problem.

P.S. Exactly the same problem is on the wincert.net forum. Both forums are Powered by Invision Community.

Edited by reboot12

@Dietmar

Thanks for the information. I already thought I was missing something in the system.

I checked Firefox 52.9.0 ESR on 3 Windows: WinXP SP2 64-bit, WinXP SP2 32-bit, Win7 SP1 64-bit and there is the same problem everywhere.

Edited by reboot12

On 8/20/2022 at 10:12 AM, reboot12 said:

I can't write posts on the forum. After clicking Submit Replay message appears: This field is required:

no_post_msfn.png.96721d946da1b52f9956c90d352f2df0.png

and there are no pictures in the post.

I write this post using Mypal 68.12.2b browser.

The same problem is when I start Firefox in Safe Mode.

A few days ago I restored the WinXP 64bit system from the image and before that there was no problem.

P.S. Exactly the same problem is on the wincet.net forum. Both forums are Powered by Invision Community.

Hello, are you really still using the ancient, long unsupported Firefox 52.9.0 ESR? And if so, may I kindly ask why? :dubbio: :) Anyway, it's simply unsecure and definitely not to be recommended due to the lack of security updates! :whistle:

On 8/20/2022 at 1:28 PM, Dietmar said:

@reboot12

I have the same problem.

But the Mypal browser from Feodor works and also the Maxthone 5 browser

Dietmar

BTW, MSFN is also fully functional in New Moon 28 (2022-08-05)! :yes: And presumably, in all other roytam1's browsers, too!

Cheers, AstroSkipper :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Only to keep everything as together as possible.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/183847-last-update-broke-msfn-for-me-on-a-couple-old-browsers/

It is interesting the different approach between myself and reboot12, as I see it, the issue is with the forum software, while reboot12 seems like putting the blame on the (old) browser (that works just fine on most other sites).

The funny thing :unsure: is that this forum is largely populated by members that are among the few people remaining that run old OSes (and browsers).

jaclaz

For me the post pictures have disappeared too. I have a fix for that:

var eli = document.getElementsByClassName("ipsImage");
for(var i = 0, li = eli.length; i < li; i++)
{
    eli[i].src = eli[i].getAttribute('data-src');
}

The reply box can be restored using this:

.ipsJS_show
  {
    display: block !important;
  }

...but it doesn't restore the javascript so it still won't work.

Ben.

Hi,

I do not find the original Source, I think it was somewhere on the Maxthon Homepage.

I think, that it was this one mx5.3.8.2000.exe for Bit 32 and XP SP3

https://ufile.io/rbfpwtzc

No modd, this is the last version that works under XP.

It has some big advantages, it uses multicores of cpu and can open any videos

Dietmar

Edited by Dietmar

Possibly related: I'm using @roytam1's Serpent 55 and am able to post. However, when I click Submit Reply, MSFN doesn't appear to do anything.

It actually does post my reply, but since it doesn't seem to, it's easy to accidentally double-post. That just happened to me.

Edit: It appears this behavior only occurs if your post appears on a different page than the one you're viewing! So it usually works correctly, and only fails one time out of 15 (or if I'm replying to an old post).

Edit 2: Seems to be fixed. At least, St 55 is working fine for me now.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 8/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Hello, are you really still using the ancient, long unsupported Firefox 52.9.0 ESR? And if so, may I kindly ask why?

I can answer on @Dave-H's behalf. He also uses Firefox on Android and so relies on Firefox Sync, which hasn't been supported on, say, Serpent, in many years (specifically, since MCP created their own sync platform for Pale Moon and, at the time, Serpent Basilisk, and @roytam1 followed suit in New Moon and Serpent).

True, he could probably "upgrade" to the last Serpent version prior to the changeover, but that really wouldn't improve his situation all that much.

Edited by Mathwiz

On 8/20/2022 at 9:37 AM, AstroSkipper said:

Anyway, it's totally insecure and definitely not to be recommended due to the lack of security updates!

Let me push back a little bit against that. AFAIK, FF 52 does support TLS 1.2 and many modern, secure cipher suites. I probably wouldn't store my email or banking passwords in a FF 52 profile, but it's probably just fine for most casual browsing. Like WinXP itself, just because it doesn't have all the latest security features, doesn't make it "totally" insecure! You just have to be a little more careful.

8 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Let me push back a little bit against that. AFAIK, FF 52 does support TLS 1.2 and many modern, secure cipher suites. I probably wouldn't store my email or banking passwords in a FF 52 profile, but it's probably just fine for most casual browsing. Like WinXP itself, just because it doesn't have all the latest security features, doesn't make it "totally" insecure! You just have to be a little more careful.

You're absolutely right! Windows XP itself doesn't have the latest security features. It is an old, unsupported OS for years, but still my main and beloved operating system. Therefore, the user of such OSes has to be careful and wise. Using a browser which lacks of security updates and bug fixes since June of 2018, is not recommended and certainly not wise. The lack of the most recent TLS protocol and its ciphers is not really a problem, you can use the brand new TLS 1.3 proxy I recently released as a program package. And, using such an old browser should be no problem when sharing data via Firefox Sync or surfing trusted, secure websites. But generally, it should be replaced by a lot of more secure alternatives like, for example, New Moon, Serpent or Mypal 68. Therefore and unfortunately, my original statement is reasonable and correct. Maybe, the word "totally" can be ignored or be replaced (already done!). Anyway, each to their own, of course! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content