General and specific solutions for problems regarding AU/WU/MU in Windows XP

AstroSkipper

16 minutes ago, WULover said:

But as I said, make a small FAQ, would be a great way to summarize the article with all important points.

There is no need to do that. I don't want to have a small FAQ. snegatif.gif People seeking information should be prepared to read, otherwise they will unfortunately have to be content with trivial knowledge. I am not a friend of the unwillingness to inform oneself comprehensively. :no: In today's youth, it is common practice to get information quickly. But then they don't know anything. 
whereisit-2.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

Just for clarification! To get information about our TLS proxies does not necessarily mean to read the whole article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use". This article is well-structured, comprehensive and up-to-date. It contains all about our TLS proxies and certificates, especially targeting Windows XP. You won't find anything comparable. A lot of my sections can be read separately. And as I already mentioned, browsers have a site search function. And anyone can actually use it these days. Right? 
google-1.gif buttonsearch.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 4 weeks later...

I added to my second post General solutions the method Restoring AU/MU/WU using a proxy server created by @ItCoder. As I already mentioned, I didn't test this method. As far as I know, this method is supposed to be working, though.

Cheers, AstroSkipper bye.gif

• 4 weeks later...

@Outbreaker I changed the thread because we are talking about problems in terms of accessing MU/WU. The other thread is about TLS proxies. Therefore, post your further problems here!

1 hour ago, Outbreaker said:

The sider to set the Trusted Zone to High was not displayed and i had to click "Default Level" for it to show up. 🙄
Now i can access the Windows Update page but when i try to scan for updates i get an error.

You have to set the slider to High in your Trusted Zone, otherwise it won't work. Only with the three mentioned URLs inside! If you can't set it to High, you should reset your Internet Explorer completely. Please provide screenshots from your IE settings and screenshots from issues shown when accessing Microsoft Update! Are there any error codes (in the right corner of the MU website)? :dubbio:

Edited by AstroSkipper

36 minutes ago, Outbreaker said:

Here is the Screenshot. I also tried to reset the Internet Explorer  8 but this didn't help. It's also a new installed Windows XP.

VirtualBox_Windwos XP_02_06_2023_20_24_15.png

You are getting error code 0x80244004. If so, you should check or perform step 11 once more. You have to verify the existence of patched "wuaueng.dll" in the mentioned folders of my guide. Be aware of SFC which tries to restore an original old version of this file! After patching, restart your computer and check again! Anyway! Doing all steps correctly and keeping the order should let the probabiliy of success increase to nearly 100%. :yes:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Okay everything is working now after applying the patched wuaueng.dll file.😱  I would also add the Internet Explorer settings to the "Restore_WU_XP_DE.7z" tool too. 😏

41 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

@Outbreaker In your last screenshot, I could see that the security level of Trusted Zone was set to High. That's what it should be. So why did you say the level couldn't be set to High:dubbio:

The slider bar to set the Trusted Zone to High was not visible for me. Only after i pressed on the "Default level" it showed up. 😒

VirtualBox_Windwos XP_02_06_2023_21_44_51.png

Edited by Outbreaker

15 minutes ago, Outbreaker said:

Okay everything is working now after applying the patched wuaueng.dll file.😱

Very good! Congratulation! You see no abstract labyrinth! :P

17 minutes ago, Outbreaker said:

I would also add the Internet Explorer settings to the "Restore_WU_XP_DE.7z" tool too. 😏

It's not my package, and the installation should be done following my guide in any case. It was hard work to write it and also very time-consuming, BTW. repareordi.gif

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:23 AM, AstroSkipper said:

7-Zip is a file archiver with a high compression ratio.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:23 AM, AstroSkipper said:

The latest version 22.00 from 15-06-2022 still supports Wimdows XP.

Didn't you say in the other thread you're going to update the post with 7-Zip? The current version is 23.01.

7-Zip has a close sibling 7-Zip ZS (Made in Germany), it supports wider range of compression algorithms. It can make archives that plain 7-Zip won't unpack. Last time I checked, which must have been over a year ago, it didn't run on XP. The file manager opens, but it can't open any archive. It seems to run fine on Vista though.

3 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Didn't you say in the other thread you're going to update the post with 7-Zip? The current version is 23.01.

7-Zip has a close sibling 7-Zip ZS (Made in Germany), it supports wider range of compression algorithms. It can make archives that plain 7-Zip won't unpack. Last time I checked, which must have been over a year ago, it didn't run on XP. The file manager opens, but it can't open any archive. It seems to run fine on Vista though.

RL comes first. When I have a bit more time, I will update my post, of course. 7-Zip ZS sounds interesting but if not compatible with Windows XP, it is of no use for me on my main desktop computer. Don't forget I am a Windows XP die-hard fan! But I will check it on our Windows 7/10 laptop. :P In any case, thanks for the information! :)

4 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Last time I checked, which must have been over a year ago, it didn't run on XP. The file manager opens, but it can't open any archive.

And worse: it crashes (after the error which complains about missing SleepConditionVariableCS function) if you try to open Options from Tools menu.

Edited by mina7601

9 hours ago, UCyborg said:

Yes it does, and many thanks for telling us about the software made in Germany!