General and specific solutions for problems regarding AU/WU/MU in Windows XP

AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

7-Zip ZS sounds interesting but if not compatible with Windows XP

It probably is if you compile it on your own with an old compiler, but haven't tried to confirm.

17 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

RL comes first. When I have a bit more time, I will update my post, of course. 

My post "4.2. My essential tools for solving problems in Windows XP — Part 2 — File extractors and packers

containg an article about 7-Zip has been updated now. Thanks again to @UCyborg for the hint! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 3 weeks later...

Solution for the error code 0x80244004 while accessing the WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy

If getting error code 0x80244004 while accessing the WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy, one should check or perform step 11 of  my complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP. It has to be verified the existence of the patched file wuaueng.dll in the corresponding folders I mentioned in my guide. Be aware of SFC which tries to restore an original, old version of this file! After patching, restart your computer and check again! Now, the WU/MU website should finally work if there are of course no other errors.

Cheers, AstroSkipper redxsmiley.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 3 months later...

@WSC4! That's not going to work. :no:

5 hours ago, WSC4 said:

I am running Windows XP 64-bit, and I have studied your post that you posted over a year ago.  I have downloaded the file and installed it and the WU Patch and have done everything that you said to do.  This is what I get when running Windows Update:

000080.gif.e24f556149f42155038c2fe6e69211f3.gif

000081.thumb.gif.80802458ba4a337ae8d91e2b3c0594c0.gif

000082.gif.67e921601b5eb738b0b6cd2abfb04278.gif

Are these setting correct?  Any help on this please?

Why are you trying to access the url http://update.microsoft.com/:dubbio: This is not the correct link and will only end in an error page. Did you read the whole documentation? Here is a link: 

Under point 18, you will find the links you need to call up: http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=e or http://fe2.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en&g_sconsumersite=1
But I recommend to read the whole documentation first to avoid further problems. Using this method to access MU/WU means that all components have to be configured 100% correctly. And please note that I have written my instructions mainly for Windows XP 32-bit! This means that a few steps can be skipped under Windows XP 64-bit. But you will realise this if you read everything carefully.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 6/27/2022 at 4:23 AM, AstroSkipper said:

UniExtract2:

Universal Extractor 2 is a tool to extract files from any type of archive or installer. After the release of UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 3 in 2020, a new nightly build has been uploaded this month, UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly (01.06.2022). Below are the download links of both versions: 

Link to UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 3: https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/releases/download/v2.0.0-rc.3/UniExtractRC3.zip
Link to UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly (01.06.2022): https://update.bioruebe.com/uniextract/files/nightly.zip

My post "4.2. My essential tools for solving problems in Windows XP — Part 2 — File extractors and packers" contains an article about the file extractor UniExtract2 which has been updated on 15.10.2023. Therefore, I updated my post.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

• 2 months later...

:dubbio:

1 hour ago, Great_Life said:

Hello everyone and happy new year! Now I have transfer my Windows XP VM to Hyper-V, but MU and U don't work. I have intalled all the necessary updates and replaced waueng.dll. After I reinstalled all the programs on the client and server, it didin't work either. It returns me 0x80072F78. What should I do? (Firewall method have been tested)

image.png

image.png

If my tip An experimental solution for the error code 0x80072F78 while accessing the WU/MU website doesn't work for you, here some further ideas:

• Check the Windows Update log.
  • Check the date and time of your computer and Windows XP.
  • Check if Windows XP is activated.
  • Try a more recent ProxHTTPSProxy version.
  • Check if the proxy is installed correctly and is working properly.
  • Update all certificates.
Edited by AstroSkipper

1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

:dubbio:

If my tip An experimental solution for the error code 0x80072F78 while accessing the WU/MU website doesn't work for you, here some further ideas:

• Check the Windows Update log.
  • Check the date and time of your computer and Windows XP.
  • Check if Windows XP is activated.
  • Try a more recent ProxHTTPSProxy version.
  • Check if the proxy is installed correctly and is working properly.
  • Update all certificates.

My copy of Windows XP is activited and the time is correct. Differnet proxies show me the same result. All the information shows that "The remote host forced an existing connection to close".

56 minutes ago, Great_Life said:

My copy of Windows XP is activited and the time is correct. Differnet proxies show me the same result. All the information shows that "The remote host forced an existing connection to close".

Did you also check if ProxHTTPSProxy is working on other websites, for example, accessing the website https://www.howsmyssl.com/ in the Internet Explorer, as it should? :dubbio: Please, post one screenshot of this website including the programme window of ProxHTTPSProxy!

Edited by AstroSkipper

16 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Did you also check if ProxHTTPSProxy is working on other websites, for example, accessing the website https://www.howsmyssl.com/ in the Internet Explorer, as it should? :dubbio: Please, post one screenshot of this website including the programme window of ProxHTTPSProxy!

I have tested two versions of the Proxy, but none of them can success.:o I have used v1.5 on my client to test your website, and it can access howsmyssl. When I use v1.3a, it returns me SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED. Interesting.:}

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Great_Life

10 hours ago, Great_Life said:

I have tested two versions of the Proxy, but none of them can success.:o I have used v1.5 on my client to test your website, and it can access howsmyssl. When I use v1.3a, it returns me SSL: CERTIFICATE_VERIFY_FAILED. Interesting.:}

image.png

image.png

image.png

As you surely noticed, you have to use a more recent version v1.5 of ProxHTTPSProxy when using IE8 for connecting with MU/WU. The error code 0x80072F78 is described as "ERROR_HTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE = The server response could not be parsed." You should check everthing related to your internet connection. Did you already read my Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP:dubbio: I think you missed something.

Edited by AstroSkipper

20 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

As you surely noticed, you have to use a more recent version v1.5 of ProxHTTPSProxy when using IE8 for connecting with MU/WU. The error code 0x80072F78 is described as "ERROR_HTTP_INVALID_SERVER_RESPONSE = The server response could not be parsed." You should check everthing related to your internet connection. Did you already read my Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP:dubbio: I think you missed something.

Yes, I have seen it many time from one year ago due to my home lab.:buehehe: I have configured it for many times, every time it will cause a new problem.:rolleyes: I have tried diffierent methods but any of them will return the same code. Anyway, I caputred my network traffic using wireshark hope it can be useful! Thank you in advance.Network Traffic.pcapng

1 hour ago, Great_Life said:

Yes, I have seen it many time from one year ago due to my home lab.:buehehe: I have configured it for many times, every time it will cause a new problem.:rolleyes: I have tried diffierent methods but any of them will return the same code.

If all steps in my guide are performed thoroughly, it should work in any case. :yes: My guide was tested successfully by different users. You mentioned that you are using VM and Hyper-V in a network with a server and clients. I assume that rather could be the cause of the problem. I use Windows XP installed on real hardware. The method "Restoring WU/MU by using the patch + proxy method" worked like a charm there. So, you unfortunately have to check all your network and internet settings. BTW, I couldn't open your attached file on my Android tablet. I will try it later at my desktop computer where Wireshark is installed. A pcapng file is a special file format used by Wireshark. But one thing is clear. If my guide and other methods don't work in your system, then your system itself is the causer of all problems. smilie_denk_24.gif 
My advice to you: Try first one of the methods on a standalone (no client or server) computer without VM or other virtualisation techniques! If it is working then, you rather will get an idea what's the cause of errors. smilie-denk-58.gif The more complex a system, the more difficult to find the cause of a problem. :P

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content