General and specific solutions for problems regarding AU/WU/MU in Windows XP

AstroSkipper

On 1/14/2023 at 3:59 PM, mina7601 said:

@verta You wrote that Legacy Update 1.4.1 crashes for you when you open the setup installer. Can you test version 1.5 as well, and see if the crash persists there?

I posted a bug report on github for version 1.5.

1.6 works after a reboot, otherwise you get an error on XP.

I think after an install of legacyupdate, the program should recommend to reboot.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2022 at 6:33 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Legacy Update - An alternative to Microsoft or Windows Update

Legacy Update is a community-run resource to help you fix the Windows Update service on earlier versions of Windows. More information and instructions can be found on the homepage of Legacy Update.
Here is the link: https://legacyupdate.net/ link.gif
And this is the download link of the program which is needed to be installed: https://content.legacyupdate.net/legacyupdate/LegacyUpdate-1.6.2.exe link.gif
Changelogs & older versions on GitHub: https://github.com/kirb/LegacyUpdate/releases link.gif
Some screenshots of this service:

Legacy-Update-setup-thumb.jpgLegacy-Update-installing-updates-thumb.j

I didn't try this service, no need for me at the moment, but as far as I read in different comments, it works properly with Windows XP and other OSs. Thanks to @maile3241 for the hint!

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

The program LegacyUpdate 1.6.1 has been updated and is now available in version 1.6.2.
Changelog from GitHub:

1.6.2 Latest

• This release will feel very minor on the surface, but I put a bunch of work into improving the codebase.
  • Switches the file downloader library to one that seems to be a lot more stable, and reliable in every condition - slow internet, insufficient RAM, internet faster than your RAM/hard drive can keep up with, etc. It is also able to reconnect and continue if your connection drops during a download.
  • Refactors the ActiveX control from the hefty Microsoft MFC framework to the lighter-weight ATL framework. This brings down the file size of the DLL.
  • Uses more efficient compression on the installer (LZMA rather than Gzip), bringing the download size down even further.
  • Improves error handling in the ActiveX control, so that in the unlikely case of the Legacy Update ActiveX control itself failing to do something, more useful error information will be displayed.
  • Fixes installing Service Packs on Windows Vista/7 again - this was supposed to be fixed in 1.6.1 but I created another bug in the process.
  • Fixes the LegacyUpdateTemp user lacking administrator permission on non-English installs of Windows, causing a "log on as an administrator" error after Legacy Update setup automatic restarts.

The massive changes in this release seem to have tripped up the exceptions Legacy Update was receiving from antivirus vendors. Currently, Microsoft and BitDefender are triggering false positives. This should be corrected soon, once both companies respond to my tickets. (Update: Microsoft Defender false positive resolved.)

I've already updated my original post, too.

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

• 1 month later...

Restoring AU/MU/WU using a proxy server

There is a new method to restore AU/MU/WU in Windows XP (and also for other Windows versions, which are not topic here, though). This method was created by @ItCoder. Here is the link to its post: 

He provides a specific installer for each Windows version. Here is the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsVjtW11rJfA3FQANrgg_QXRMgfx?e=lCF2lV 
The installer for Windows XP is XP.exe. I didn't test this method. No need here for a further method to restore AU/MU/WU. I already have two working methods to check for updates. My system is fully updated, and new updates won't come anymore as we already know. Unfortunately, the whole method is not really well documented. Therefore, I can't say much about it. It seems you have to execute the installer, follow the prompt, and then it should work. It is perhaps interesting that this method is also said to restore AU. If you tested this method, it would be very interesting to participate from your experiences. Feel free to comment!

Edit: More details about this method here:

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

The installers are simply sfx which execute setup.cmd on extraction. You can look and see what they do. The method simply set the proxy on the client system. The proxy redirects the old URLs to the new ones and ship a very old wuident.cab so that WU won't selfupdate (the latest version blocks any non-Microsoft SSL)

On 3/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, ItCoder said:

The installers are simply sfx which execute setup.cmd on extraction. You can look and see what they do. The method simply set the proxy on the client system. The proxy redirects the old URLs to the new ones and ship a very old wuident.cab so that WU won't selfupdate (the latest version blocks any non-Microsoft SSL)

great job on your update porting project!@ItCoder and I hope you make even more projects like this 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2023 at 2:16 PM, AstroSkipper said:

Restoring AU/MU/WU using a proxy server

There is a new method to restore AU/MU/WU in Windows XP (and also for other Windows versions, which are not topic here, though). This method was created by @ItCoder. Here is the link to its post: 

He provides a specific installer for each Windows version. Here is the link: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsVjtW11rJfA3FQANrgg_QXRMgfx?e=lCF2lV 
The installer for Windows XP is XP.exe. I didn't test this method. No need here for a further method to restore AU/MU/WU. I already have two working methods to check for updates. My system is fully updated, and new updates won't come anymore as we already know. Unfortunately, the whole method is not really well documented. Therefore, I can't say much about it. It seems you have to execute the installer, follow the prompt, and then it should work. It is perhaps interesting that this method is also said to restore AU. If you tested this method, it would be very interesting to participate from your experiences. Feel free to comment!

More details about this method here:

Cheers, AstroSkipper bybye.gif

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:23 AM, AstroSkipper said:

UniExtract2:

Universal Extractor 2 is a tool to extract files from any type of archive or installer. After the release of UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 3 in 2020, a new nightly build has been uploaded this month, UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly (01.06.2022). Below are the download links of both versions: 

Link to UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 3: https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/releases/download/v2.0.0-rc.3/UniExtractRC3.zip
Link to UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly (01.06.2022): https://update.bioruebe.com/uniextract/files/nightly.zip

Update notification! update.gif

FYI, UniExtract2 2.0.0 RC 4 Nightly has been updated and is now from 27.03.2023. Its download link has not changed. :)

Edited by AstroSkipper

• 3 weeks later...

@WULover!

On 4/17/2023 at 3:19 PM, WULover said:

Install and run ProxHTTPSProxyMll v1.3a.

For using the "Restoring WU/MU by using the patch + proxy" method I described in detail long time ago here 

it is not necessary or recommended to use the old, deprecated ProxHTTPSProxyM v1.3a. The most recent ProxHTTPSProxy TLS 1.3 1.5.220717 works perfectly with MU/WU and is more secure.

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 hours ago, WULover said:

This proxy requires SSE2 as I see. SSE2 is not supported on many old hardware. That's why I said this version. There is no difference and both work.

Where did you see that? Did you do a research first? :dubbio: Unfortunately, you are wrong and not up-to-date. The most recent ProxHTTPSProxy TLS 1.3 1.5.220717 does not require a CPU with SSE2 instruction set anymore, SSE only is sufficient. I thought you read my article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use". Have a look at the section 8 and 9: 

ProxHTTPSProxyM v1.3a is unsecure and only needed in very special situation but definitely not under Windows XP. And BTW, there are big differences between both proxies that is all described in detail in my article. In any case, providing such information is rather misleading and should be avoided. albert.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

I just tried it on an old laptop wich didn't manage to have SSE2 and the proxy didn't work at all. Btw, I'm using the MII v1.3a for Windows 98 (TLS 1.2 is not needed). I also use Windows Update v4 for Windows XP/2000 and Windows Update v3.1 for older OS (Windows 95 to Me).

And I could not find this article (the signatures does not load if it's in yours). For web browsing, do not use Windows XP at all (using an old and insecure HTTPS proxy on an unsupported OS will be insecure in all cases). Your article is great, but toooooooo long (there is no summary), and I don't really have the time to read all. I don't understand at all how a proxy works :}... All I see is if it works or not :buehehe: (that's a joke, don't take it personnally).

I only use ProxHTTPSProxy for debugging some old software with https requests, nothing more.

41 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

In any case, providing such information is rather misleading and should be avoided

If you want to avoid that, make something short and easy to understand, not Wikipedia (even if it's complete and we have all details, not everyone is able to read all of that and understand, or even choose the right section to get the information they're looking for). Or make a section "Frequently Asked Questions", with the common questions about this.

If you want to reply, send me a private message, this is kinda polluting the thread (which does not make the search easy for people who are trying to find a specific post).

I am not angry with you or trying to degrade your work, don't worry about that.

Edited by WULover

40 minutes ago, WULover said:
1 hour ago, AstroSkipper said:

In any case, providing such information is rather misleading and should be avoided

If you want to avoid that, make something short and easy to understand, not Wikipedia (even if it's complete and we have all details, not everyone is able to read all of that and understand, or even choose the right section to get the information they're looking for). Or make a section "Frequently Asked Questions", with the common questions about this.

If you want to reply, send me a private message, this is kinda polluting the thread (which does not make the search easy for people who are trying to find a specific post).

My post is a complete article containing everything about these proxies. At the beginning, there is a table of contents. And you have a site search in nearly all browsers. If that's not enough, there's unfortunately nothing I can do to help. Those seeking information should be prepared to read, otherwise they will unfortunately have to be content with trivial knowledge. In such a case, however, one should not spread information about such things.

I just tried it on an old laptop wich didn't manage to have SSE2 and the proxy didn't work at all.

You are referring to the TLS 1.2 proxies from @heinoganda and @Thomas S.. These proxies are no longer up-to-date, either.

And I could not find this article (the signatures does not load if it's in yours).

Oh my dear! I gave you the link and the sections. What more do you need to find information? Once again:
Here is the link to my article: 

Have a look at the sections 8. The TLS 1.3 proxy ProxyMII and 9. The TLS 1.3 proxy ProxHTTPSProxy's PopMenu TLS 1.3

Hope you will find it finally! :)

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content