Browsed for a good while with the current version of the browser on XP x64 today, I've set it to use 8 content processes, got to about 36 tabs before my 4 GB of RAM was close to being fully filled and before the stability issues were noted. My page file is 1 GB, peak usage was 414 MB at the end. What's interesting when being close to full, things started crashing when I minimized the browser, not before, and left the PC for a while. Then the active tab was crashed and it seemed to have unloaded a bunch of other tabs, some of them crashed when attempted to restore them, some crashed "cleanly", some were accompanied by error boxes hitting software breakpoint, which had to be dismissed.

Opened tabs included 2 YouTube tabs, 8 Ball Pool, the rest were websites with text and pictures and some with many pictures.

Well, I still had that IgnoreException shim I mentioned here active with parameters: ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION:1;ACCESS_VIOLATION_READ:1
The first one was put in place as the old Mypal had issues with Web Assembly stuff, the second was due to error box on exit. The first one isn't needed with current version of the browser and the latter for preventing the error box on exit has to do with forcing OpenGL compositing. I've since put layers.* prefs on about:config page back to default, so now only shows basic compositing in about:support. Not sure there was much benefit with OpenGL compositing, maybe a bit with scrolling smoothness.

Somehow, after got the tabs recovered and reached close-to-max RAM utilization again and got to writing this post, the entire browser crashed and the OS had no idea where it crashed. Strange that it survived the first time, but not second time. Wonder if having IgnoreException still in place had some bad influence. I have removed it now.

OS is still running, no BSOD, despite going full multi-process mode and also having Actual Window Manager hooked in the background, though in the past, I got BSOD in win32k.sys if I did some pause/resume cycles with the AWM to test for conflicts with some software.

Finally, all of this was done with all of Mypal's DLLs rebased to optimize RAM usage.

On 6/17/2023 at 7:59 PM, UCyborg said:

Not sure there was much benefit with OpenGL compositing, maybe a bit with scrolling smoothness.

Oops, I take it back, it gives VSynced rendering (however that is possible in windowed mode), so no screen tearing when scrolling pages or watching videos. VSync could just be the default of NVIDIA driver, I remember from testing simple OpenGL example code few years back not explicitly taking care of VSync, it was active on NVIDIA and inactive on AMD.

But yeah, as it is, one must accept other glitches it comes with, seemingly misaligned viewport of any browser window or z-fighting with GUI popups overlaid over the main window, eg. those popup menus of various extensions.

On 6/14/2023 at 1:13 PM, feodor2 said:

browser.tabs.unloadOnLowMemory

I'm not sure this pref is working or working correctly, things seem to start crashing after I fill the RAM most of the time any tab gets the chance to was unload. Does it take free space in pagefile into account to determine it should unload tabs? Maybe it would only do it if page file was also filled, but that situation is best avoided.

Edited by UCyborg

i saw feodor2 update something in mypal68, i was about to download to test it, but the zip download of browser is not here, it just source code, and that's itimage.thumb.png.b290e03f9e7340571b834be1fd33ecb3.png

@MWF

look https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/issues/218#issuecomment-1604600668

Shall plan to publish the new release upon next week.

I did like a stress test on mypal 68.13. My pc is core2duo 8500 3.16 ghz, 3 gb ram, hardware accel is off - default value, multiporcesses are 3 for tabs, 1 for extension, 1 for rdd (5 at all - these are default), other settings also default. Also have extensions: ublock, decentrales, сanvasblock, xiaoxiaoflood  userChromeJS and downthemall for firefox 68

3gb ram was filled at 30 tabs 15 youdube (one playing) and 15 aliexpress.

No any crashes

Was opening more tabs, 20 at all 10 for yt and 10 for ali

What i notices are freezings and slowdowns when i switch tabs, many windows about "script not responding" where i pushed continue, after all it was still usable.

Finally i have closed the browser with all 50 tabs, it has not closed at once though, takes a minute while and closed all successfully.

By the way name the most heavy site you know, for me it is yotube.

IN CONCLUSION

I suggest to leave settings on their default values, toggle ones only if you well know what they do and why, especially do not forcefully turn acceleration, webgl and other grafics stuff, it still remains broken on winxp.

9 hours ago, feodor2 said:

What i notices are freezings and slowdowns when i switch tabs, many windows about "script not responding" where i pushed continue, after all it was still usable.

Finally i have closed the browser with all 50 tabs, it has not closed at once though, takes a minute while and closed all successfully.

it could be either, the browser is not well optimized and freezes like @basilisk-dev or your 2 core CPU is not performant enough for the modern web browsing, the switch from 2 core toward 4 core CPU was an amazing experience for me back in the day.

if it's a money issue you can easily raise money from XP users community for a decent computer for about $50 (CPU + RAM + mobo) ebay is an exccellent source of inexpensive hardware

@Milkinis

I say all things no matter how they optimized on the any pc begin to freeze and slowdown when all RAM is occupied, furthermore many things wil just crash for no more free memory.

You name best optimized browser and try do the same then tell how it was.

2 hours ago, feodor2 said:

I say all things no matter how they optimized on the any pc begin to freeze and slowdown when all RAM is occupied

ok. I misread your message so you actually run out of RAM. 

regarding the script prompt I agree it's a pain when you get to see that poping out

the other browser @basilisk-dev freezes at any time regardless the number of open tabs.

in short, the modified chrome 360 @NotHereToPlayGames works SO MUCH  better on XP than Basilisk does under W7, yeah I know it sounds ridiculous.

I have been told that LIBREWOLF was the best fork of Firefox 

People who get bsod please check these settings

layers.mlgpu.enabled = false
layers.omtp.enabled = false
browser.tabs.unloadOnLowMemory = true

With these settings, no more BSOD on HP Elitebook 8540p laptop with NVIDIA NVS 5100M graphic card and Mypal 68.12.5b or 68.13.b ! :P

Need to try the new release now.

Regards

Edited by genieautravail

• 2 weeks later...

People who get bsod please check these settings

layers.mlgpu.enabled = false
browser.tabs.unloadOnLowMemory = true

@feodor2

After a lot of tests, only one setting change is needed to resolve all BSODs on my laptop with Mypal 68.12.5b or 68.13.1b :

Regards

Edited by genieautravail

@ClassicNick 8gb RAM will be enough, but do not forget about MOZ_MAKE_FLAGS j1, may be j2 will be fine too. I have 16 and set j4

Let we test the perfomance of omtp. This is off-main-thread painting. How to do this? I suppose to use a site with very lots of painting.

I know one https://www.windy.com/ , and seems disabling omtp gives better performance, why?

Edited by feodor2
added