On 8/30/2022 at 11:26 PM, XPerceniol said:

Thank you, I didn't know that at all. So this is a good security feature. So set to "true" do you know where this blocklist is located and what other prefs are related. 

Thanks again :)

EDIT:

Also wondering about the following prefs and what they do.

layers.gpu-process.enabled;true (answered as for XP should be false)
media.gpu-process-decoder;true

dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled;true

browser.tabs.remote.separateFileUriProcess;true (default)
browser.tabs.remote.separatePrivilegedContentProcess;false (default)

I'm learning and will likely start to get the hang of this in a few years (give or take) :rolleyes:

Hello @XPerceniol! Here are my current settings of Mypal 68 with short, own comments:

Current settings:

set browser.tabs.remote.autostart from true to false -> single process mode

set dom.ipc.processCount to value 3 -> single process mode

set dom.ipc.processCount.webLargeAllocation to value 3 -> single process mode (additionally)

set dom.noopener.newprocess.enabled from true to false -> single process mode (additionally)

set dom.moduleScripts.enabled from true to false -> VirusTotal, new interface

set layout.css.resizeobserver.enabled from false to true -> DevianArt, GitHub Gifs

set layers.acceleration.disabled from false to true -> reduce RAM usage

set layers.max-active from -1 to 1 -> reduce RAM usage

set dom.ipc.processPrelaunch.enabled from true to false -> reduce RAM usage

set javascript.options.discardSystemSource from false to true -> reduce RAM usage

set extensions.webextensions.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons

set extensions.webextensions.protocol.remote from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for addons

set dom.ipc.plugins.flash.subprocess.crashreporter.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Flash crash reporting

set dom.vr.process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for Virtual Reality components

set layers.gpu-process.enabled from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for GPU rendering

set media.gpu-process-decoder from true to false -> Don't run a separate process for video decoding

set toolkit.cosmeticAnimations.enabled from true to false -> Disable Unnecessary Animations

set browser.download.saveLinkAsFilenameTimeout from 4000 to 2000 ->  Increasing or decreasing "Save Link As" Timeout Value

set browser.sessionhistory.max_entries from 50 to 10 ->  Reduce Firefox Session History

Some commented preferences can also be found in the following file of Mypal 68's source code: https://github.com/Feodor2/Mypal68/blob/main/modules/libpref/init/all.js

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

PS: The setting dom.moduleScripts.enabled should be checked to see if the setting to false is still necessary (old setting from Mypal 68.12.4b).

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

It is advisable not to change this function if everything works well with hardware acceleration. 1 or 2 - if there are graphical errors. For example, with FX5200 or GF6100 video cards, instead of a video, a black or green image https://habrastorage.org/webt/tv/dl/bo/tvdlbolut1ediirrn7rlyg1ysuk.jpeg

15 minutes ago, grey_rat said:

It is advisable not to change this function if everything works well with hardware acceleration.

In my system, hardware acceleration is disabled. Setting layers.max-active to 1 works well for me. :)

12 hours ago, XPerceniol said:

Thank you, guys, I've made the changes and will report any difference. I'm trying to make a list so I don't lose track.

Here is another link to an informative site about the preferences in Firefox or Mypal 68https://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper ordipoing.gif

Thank you and I'm almost done and will share my prefs.js (user.js) with everyone when done. Again, its the way I prefer it and others may not like/agree with me on my choices. Mostly went with the suggested changes here from you guys. I also do not use hardware acceleration at all (no point with my useless hardware) I disable a lot and compared it to new Serpent, I decided to go with some of those default choices. Also went with mypal one some and changed Serpent to they match up.

I tried yesterday, but I was doing bad, I say that not to bring others down, rather than I'm sitting here and doing better today and want to show others this too shall pass. Some days are worse than others and we all have a crappy day now and again.

Still struggling with speech and writing; sorry.

Hi to all.:hello:

I would like to advise MSFN members not to lose sight of the benefits of modifying user.js.
Which predominantly are to improve browser privacy.

Example.
It is useless to focus paranoidly on user.js modifications when maybe on the test below:

https://d3ward.github.io/toolz/adblock.html

you get a low score.

So a high number of trackers + ads passing undisturbed browser +adblocker defenses.

This is a real risk to privacy and security.

newmoon.thumb.JPG.21d8edf37734b80898f988ec804278ec.JPG

Just decided to fire up the old Dimension 3000 with the latest new moon, and I'm totally blocked up ... which reminds me I have some prune juice in the Fridge. 

Anyway ...

Sadly, this old (very old) computer won't even run mypal so I have to do more work, but very nice @roytam1. Looks like even Serpent isn't right on this computer. Oh well, Arctic Fox and new moon are working great.

Thank you for stopping by @Sampei.Nihira we value your advice, as always, as well as other MSFN Vets :)

Edited by XPerceniol

Not sure, but the topic came up recently in another thread, and this seems like the appropriate place to ask:

Was support for Firefox Sync removed from MyPal 68? I looked around and couldn't find it, but the Photon UI is so Chrome-like (and Australis-unlike) I could easily have missed it.

If it was removed, was it because of a requirement under the MPL?

12 hours ago, Mathwiz said:

Not sure, but the topic came up recently in another thread, and this seems like the appropriate place to ask:

Was support for Firefox Sync removed from MyPal 68? I looked around and couldn't find it, but the Photon UI is so Chrome-like (and Australis-unlike) I could easily have missed it.

If it was removed, was it because of a requirement under the MPL?

@Mathwiz! I can't find a sync function in Mypal 68 either, it doesn't seem to have been added yet. You know that @feodor2 is working on important improvements and existing problems, many functions are still missing, e.g. update function for extensions, internationalization and localization and so on. Whether the support for Firefox Sync will be added again, I don't know exactly. But, you can open an issue on GitHub. @feodor2 looks there more regularly than here. :)

Thank you; I wanted to make sure I wasn't just overlooking it. Back when Serpent was new, both versions (52 and 55) had support for Sync, so at least back then - 2018 or so - it just got included by default in Firefox forks like Basilisk/Serpent. So it seems to me that if it isn't in MyPal 68, its absence is likely deliberate.

I just don't know whether it's deliberate on Feodor2's part or on Mozilla's part. It could be that Feodor2 removed it to avoid licensing issues with Mozilla, or it could be that Mozilla changed the source so that unbranded/rebranded forks no longer contain Sync by default.

But it's not that big of a deal. I'm just curious, and I'm sure Feodor2 has bigger issues to contend with (MyPal 68 is still in beta).

Edited by Mathwiz

mp_sal.thumb.JPG.e6243ab1c4d50a0db2fab8b883dc80ee.JPG

This is largely why I don't complain - I realize he much more besides computer software to be dealing with now.

On 9/5/2022 at 5:21 PM, Mathwiz said:

.. I'm sure Feodor2 has bigger issues to contend with (MyPal 68 is still in beta).

I'm hoping somebody will help me to make sense of the about:support page.

Basically, everything is working fine for what I need, but I'm learning still, myself and I'm not ashamed.

My hardware is inferior (to say the very least) but I can't change that and just have to work with it and left software pick up the slack and hope setting can improve what it can and I see no reason to leave settings running if they aren't doing anything. I can not upgrade. I have disabled hardware acceleration globally as well as WebGL.

Since it reads direct2d is "unavailable by default: Direct2D is not available on Windows XP", I disabled it:

gfx.direct2d.disabled;true

@grey_rat (as well as other members here) helped me (you have helped me) to understand more about d3d11 and its unavailability for those running XP, as you can see, my hardware is also nowhere near able to even run d3d9 (so it seems). 

WEBRENDER reads:

"opt-in by default: WebRender is an opt-in feature" - and - "unavailable-no-angle by runtime: ANGLE is disabled"

WEBRENDER_QUALIFIED  reads:

"blacklisted  by env: No qualified hardware"

Also, as you can see - I get errors and I'm wondering If I'm the only one.

Just checking to see if I'm getting this right, or have I totally lost it (emphasis on "totally"). If its a case of the latter, that would not surprise me either ... all kidding aside, just working with what I've got (both computers and otherwise ... hehe)

Thank you in advance and please don't feel rushed to reply as I'm not going anywhere. *There but for the grace of God go I* and waking up is not a guarantee, but I expect to be here tomorrow.

Edited by XPerceniol