Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

I've added the right files and patched existing ones, you can now check for updates in all languages with Windows 98SE ONLY. Use Windows Update Restored to do that. In case you encounter an issue, please report it to me.

Hi WULover. I've tried the updated version of the website (v3.windowsupdaterestored.com) and it still doesn't work properly ... at least here (on Windows 98 SE DK). I've tried to overwrite the wupdmgr.exe with the English one and to not do it as well (by using snapshots in VMware). Both times I've chosen to install ident.cab afterwards - and the website says the reason it doesn't work may be caused by a network issue or a broken (catalog) file. :-(

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-18-58-28.png

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-18-58-38.png

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-18-58-46.png

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-18-58-54.png

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-18-59-00.png

Hello! The reason on Control.htm is not the right one. The server is just missing files. Can I have your fiddler log to troubleshoot it please? I should be able to fix that. But your language is not common. I don't think I'll be able to find a language pack file (.gng file) for it. But anyway, let's try!

Edited by WULover

Oh, that doesn't sound good. I know English and French are more common languages than Danish, but I hoped it wouldn't make any problems as it still is among those ~24 standard standalone localized versions of Windows (like Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish) without the need for any special language packs - if they even were a "thing" yet back then.

Btw, after running Fiddler at the same time as Internet Explorer, IE crashed. I've uploaded two log files from Fiddler - the 2nd one may be the most relevant one.

Windows 98 SE DK-2023-05-27-19-52-57.png

1st time.txt 2nd time.txt

i searched in the Windows Update file, and I don't have this language. It was originally included in Windows Update v3.1, but the files were not archived by the Wayback Machine. I'll fix your issue with English files, and I'll see after if it's possible to make a special language pack for you. When it'll work, can you please give me the translation of the texts in Danish please?

Yeah, I know. In my spare time I've been searching for Danish updates in the Wayback Machine for about four years now and not very much has been archived in the (da/dan/dk/da-DK) localization. Though I've found some other workarounds (old MSDN CD's and in some cases found the corresponding files as .cab files from the Windows Update server) it still gives me a headache - and here we're talking about the DOS based versions of Windows of course.

I was also sure it did exist in Danish back then. The first Danish version of Windows was 3.0 and though the Server versions of Windows usually were only localized into Swedish (among the four Nordic languages) their website and WU have also worked in my native language.

But yeah, that would be very kind of you. I'm a Danish teacher myself and have been contributing with a lot of translations for, the now abandoned project, Songbird (an iTunes clone) and for a very short time OpenOffice.org and Firefox as well. I stopped as I couldn't find the time for it anymore.

If you're able to get the Danish version to work, and if we're not talking about kilometers of text strings, I would like to help you/all of us with the localization.

Edited by raggie

Just a friendly reminder. If possible, can you try and crop your images to include only what is absolutely necessary or provide external links to them so members with slower connections don't run into issues viewing the thread? Thank you!

Tommy: We started writing (WULover and I) to each other in private instead earlier today. The images are about 100-400 KB each. I didn't think 28K modems were a thing anymore in 2023, but I was probably wrong. :/ But yeah, it's not easy to please everyone.

Edited by raggie

Hello everybody! I just realized that we still missing some page in it. I accessed the website accidentally on my Windows 2k3 VM and found out the thanks page are still missing! It is not necessary,but I think it will be more prefect if we have them.:D

IMG_6013.jpeg

I don't have these pages sadly, and I don't know what they looks like. But yeah, the website is not for Windows Server 2003, Windows XP or Windows 2000. It's Me or less.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2023 at 9:51 AM, WULover said:

What do you exactly mean?

A summary of the current situation, which windows update links are active and can be used? For which versions of Windows?