Microsoft Windows Update v3/v4/v5

For the members of this topic/project:

Windows 95, NT 4.0 and 98SE are now working properly with all necessary updates in French and English.

If you have eny errors, let me know (I will need the Fiddler log, otherwise I won't be able to help you).

Update your computer at http://v3.windowsupdaterestored.com

It's a site for Windows 98, not Android. And you need Internet Explorer, not Opera.

Use a Windows 98 computer or Virtual Machine, then try again and see the result. It's not a website do manually download updates like the Microsoft Update Catalog. It's the original Windows Update v3.1 website from 1998.

Edited by WULover

Websites are interactive. I did expect a catalog or at least usage instructions. The information in your response should be displayed if the server can't determine what else to do.

10 minutes ago, jumper said:

Websites are interactive. I did expect a catalog or at least usage instructions. The information in your response should be displayed if the server can't determine what else to do.

It's not something we can edit, unfortunately.

You know what is the Windows Update website, and what are the ActiveX controls right?

It would be easier to determine that ActiveX controls cannot be installed on other systems than Windows & Internet Explorer.

Sorry if my previous answer wasn't really clear, but regarding to the 58 previous pages of this topic, it was pretty obvious. I was not meant to be aggressive either.

To make that simple, use Internet Explorer 5.0 on Windows 98 (SE if possible). These are the usage instructions. I'll add them on www.windowsupdaterestored.com once I'll get time.

And websites from 1998 are not the same as modern ones...

Edited by WULover
Added some things

That's brought a tear to my eye. What an effort. A bit of early feedback:

Win95C + IE4.01 SP2
404s. Attached as ie4.png. That might have happened with the original Windows Update for all I know, but it'd be great if IE4 could be made to work.

Win95C + IE5.01
Attached as ie5.png. Look at that!

• I get a Security Warning pop-up to install and run "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\ident.cab" each time I visit the site.
  • My Critical Updates Package contains Security Update, January 17, 2000 and Critical Update, September 10, 1999. Both get "Could not be installed because the file was not found"
  • There's a page error at line 679 of catalog.htm: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'document.all(...).Style'. Is this a Microsoft issue?
  • Trying all the shown IE5 patches (ie5-patches.png) resulted in four of the six being installed, with Offline Browsing Pack and Internet Connection Wizard not being found.

Are the missing files simply a case of someone sourcing them and contributed them to the project?

ie4.png

ie5.png

ie5-patches.png

1 hour ago, jetboy said:

That's brought a tear to my eye. What an effort. A bit of early feedback:

Win95C + IE4.01 SP2
404s. Attached as ie4.png. That might have happened with the original Windows Update for all I know, but it'd be great if IE4 could be made to work.

Win95C + IE5.01
Attached as ie5.png. Look at that!

• I get a Security Warning pop-up to install and run "C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate\ident.cab" each time I visit the site.
  • My Critical Updates Package contains Security Update, January 17, 2000 and Critical Update, September 10, 1999. Both get "Could not be installed because the file was not found"
  • There's a page error at line 679 of catalog.htm: Object doesn't support this property or method: 'document.all(...).Style'. Is this a Microsoft issue?
  • Trying all the shown IE5 patches (ie5-patches.png) resulted in four of the six being installed, with Offline Browsing Pack and Internet Connection Wizard not being found.

Are the missing files simply a case of someone sourcing them and contributed them to the project?

ie4.png

ie5.png

ie5-patches.png

Hello !

Thanks for your feedback, it's very useful for us.

For Internet Explorer 4.0, it's impossible to support it, we do not have the content for it.

The warning you get is just the ActiveX control I modified to allow the site to find the updates catalogs, nothing more. Don't worry, it's secure and virus free.

Other than that, missing files are just updates that are being added, but you'll have them on the server by the end of the year (it's very long).

The JS errors are Microsoft issues, that came with the website.

It's not an official site, so adding updates and fixing bugs is long and sometimes hard.

You can try Windows 98 and NT 4.0 if you want :D

I have an error "Cannot display page". I wonder what is the reason, either because of the Russian language, or because IE6 SP1 is installed. Or I need to install something else.

spacer.png

Hello ! 

This error happens when you're using an unsupported language. You need to use Fiddler (proxy) to see what files are missing and which ones needs to be patched. If I don't have this log, I can't do much more.What is your operating system ? Windows 98 SE ?