ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

In any case, the website must not show n/a (no js).

44 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

For browserleaks.com, you need a more recent version of ProxHTTPSProxy.

As a FYI :P, even when using very recent versions of ProxHTTPSProxy, several fields in the https://browserleaks.com/tls detection page apparently don't work with the IEx severely outdated Javascript engine :( ; I have developed a Vista SP2 x86 targeting edition of ProxyMII (based on the original work by cmalex :worship:), which uses:

ProxHTTPSProxyMII-v1.5 (python script)
CPython-3.7.17 x86 (EoS for py3.7)
cffi-1.15.1 (EoS for py3.7)
colorama-0.4.6
cryptography-41.0.5
pyOpenSSL-23.3.0
PySocks-1.7.1
urllib3-1.26.18 (script incompatible with urllib3 >=2.0.0a1)

and when IE9 is configured to use it, the sections Protocol Support, Mixed Content Test and TLS Fingerprint remain empty:

xTRLtWZ.png

Best regards :)

1 minute ago, VistaLover said:

As a FYI :P, even when using very recent versions of ProxHTTPSProxy, several fields in the https://browserleaks.com/tls detection page apparently don't work with the IEx severely outdated Javascript engine :( ; I have developed a Vista SP2 x86 targeting edition of ProxyMII (based on the original work by cmalex :worship:), which uses:

colorama-0.4.6
cryptography-41.0.5
pyOpenSSL-23.3.0
PySocks-1.7.1

and when IE9 is configured to use it, the sections Protocol Support, Mixed Content Test and TLS Fingerprint remain empty:

xTRLtWZ.png

Best regards :)

That's correct. I noticed that, too when using the most recent version of ProxHTTPSProxy. That's why I already updated my post.

Best regards, AstroSkipper :)

22 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

I have developed a Vista SP2 x86 targeting edition of ProxyMII (based on the original work by cmalex :worship:), which uses:

colorama-0.4.6
cryptography-41.0.5
pyOpenSSL-23.3.0
PySocks-1.7.1

And congrats to your developed Vista SP2 x86 targeting edition of ProxyMII! However, I thought @cmalex's ProxyMII version would also run under Vista. :dubbio:

4 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

However, I thought @cmalex's ProxyMII version would also run under Vista. :dubbio:

... This is not a correct assumption :whistle:, and I think I have mentioned this issue in passing in the past, possibly in another thread (that I'm too lazy now to dig up :P); the implementation by cmalex (ProxyMII_v230813) employs a specially crafted/patched edition of CPython 3.7.11 (based on the initial 3.7.1-XP implementation by Dibya), which runs specifically only under WinXP SP3 x86; when the python37.exe binary is launched under Vista SP2 x86, it throws function errors:

2v1zETP.png

The DLLs enclosed inside the red rectangles are foreign to Vista and are, in fact, loans from OneCore API, Wine and/or ReactOS projects, while several DLLs/EXEs inside the "python" directory have been HexEdited to point to these DLLs, which, in essence, port some NT 6.0+ kernel functions to XP SP3 (see some analysis here) ...

OTOH, default CPython 3.7 x86 (as distributed by the PSF) can run natively under Vista SP2 (but NOT under XP SP3), being, sadly, the last CPython version that works there; default CPython 3.8 requires Win7+, default CPython 3.9 requires Win8.1+, etc. ...

Hope it's clearer now :whistle:(... and since this is an "XP audience" thread ;) , I didn't want to share additional "Vista-details" here, but since you brought it up, I indulged :P) ...

Happy Thursday evening to you!

Edited by VistaLover

54 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

... This is not a correct assumption :whistle:, and I think I have mentioned this issue in passing in the past, possibly in another thread (that I'm too lazy now to dig up :P); the implementation by cmalex (ProxyMII_v230813) employs a specially crafted/patched edition of CPython 3.7.11 (based on the initial 3.7.1-XP implementation by Dibya), which runs specifically only under WinXP SP3 x86; when the python37.exe binary is launched under Vista SP2 x86, it throws function errors:

2v1zETP.png

The DLLs enclosed inside the red rectangles are foreign to Vista and are, in fact, loans from OneCore API and/or ReactOS projects, while several DLLs/EXEs inside the "python" directory have been HexEdited to point to these DLLs, which, in essence, port some NT 6.0+ kernel functions to XP SP3...

OTOH, default CPython 3.7 x86 (as distributed by the PSF) can run natively under Vista SP2 (but NOT under XP SP3), being, sadly, the last CPython version that works there; default CPython 3.8 requires Win7+, default CPython 3.9 requires Win8.1+, etc. ...

Hope it's clearer now :whistle:(... and since this is an "XP audience" thread ;) , I didn't want to share additional "Vista-details" here, but since you brought it up, I indulged :P) ...

Happy Thursday evening to you!

You know I don't use Vista and never did before. smilie-denk-24.gif Therefore, I don't know any details about compatibility with other OSes than Windows XP. And there was no real need for me to try it under Windows 7 or up. :P Anyway! Thanks for clarification!

And happy Thursday evening to you, too!

Edited by AstroSkipper

3 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

Thanks for clarification!

... You're welcome :P; à propos, you may want to correct that double negative there :), else one may assume you do use Vista (joking, ofc) :

6 minutes ago, AstroSkipper said:

You know I don't not use Vista

23 minutes ago, VistaLover said:

à propos, you may want to correct that double negative there :), else one may assume you do use Vista (joking, ofc) :

First, I wanted to say "I do not use" but then I decided to write "I don't use". Just a leftover. Thanks for the hint! :)

On 11/17/2023 at 1:27 AM, AstroSkipper said:

This service works with the old ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.3a. As you can see, the old proxy already supports the TLS 1.2 protocol. Therefore, it should work with MU/WU. But one thing is clear: ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.3a is obsolete and won't work properly with many sites in these days.matrix.gif

OK.  I have tried many workarounds at Windows Update using this version.  I have found more with the error code 0x800706B5..  A cut from the WindowsUpdate.log:

2023-11-19    13:46:24:078    2112    850    Setup      * IsUpdateRequired = No
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    -------------
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    -- START --  COMAPI: Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    ---------
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984     736    770    Service    WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800706b5 for session 0
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI    WARNING: Unable to listen to self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800706B5)
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI    WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the service. (hr=800706B5)
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI      - WARNING: Exit code = 0x800706B5

GetUserTokenFromSessionId  It mentions Service before the warning.  Would that have anything to do with a setting in the registry service key?

I have gone through your section General and specific solutions for problems regarding AU/WU/MU in Windows XP and Manually reset Windows Update components (KB971058).  Then also the Complete guide for restoring IE's access to WU/MU website using ProxHTTPSProxy or HTTPSProxy in Windows XP.  I have done this twice, and I have done all you steps down to 21 a number of times.

22. If unfortunately none of all these 21 steps helped you, then you should presumably think about a complete reinstallation of Windows XP.

I won't do that.  I'll try sfc /scanboot  Then do step 11 again.  If it fails again, I'll forget about it and move on.

Edited by WSC4

11 hours ago, WSC4 said:

OK.  I have tried many workarounds at Windows Update using this version.  I have found more with the error code 0x800706B5..  A cut from the WindowsUpdate.log:

2023-11-19    13:46:24:078    2112    850    Setup      * IsUpdateRequired = No
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    -------------
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    -- START --  COMAPI: Search [ClientId = WindowsUpdate]
2023-11-19    13:46:43:968    2112    850    COMAPI    ---------
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984     736    770    Service    WARNING: GetUserTokenFromSessionId failed with error 800706b5 for session 0
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI    WARNING: Unable to listen to self-update/shutdown event (hr=0X800706B5)
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI    WARNING: Unable to establish connection to the service. (hr=800706B5)
2023-11-19    13:46:43:984    2112    850    COMAPI      - WARNING: Exit code = 0x800706B5

GetUserTokenFromSessionId  It mentions Service before the warning.  Would that have anything to do with a setting in the registry service key?

I already posted the meaning of the error code 0x800706B5:

On 11/8/2023 at 1:28 PM, AstroSkipper said:

FYI, the error code 0x800706B5 means RPC_S_Unknown_IF with the description:

Eventlog service is not running. BITS tries to initialize the event logger object during initialization and fails to start, if the initialization fails. If event log service is not running, then the initialization fails with RPC_S_UNKNOWN_IF error

Check if there are problems in your system with the event log service!

@WSC4 As far as I understand your error code, the service BITS fails to start because the Eventlog service is not running. Check both services! Are they set to start automatically (auto)? :dubbio: BITS is definitely needed for MU/WU and has to be working correctly.

And keep in mind, my guide was generally written for Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit. But there were members like, for example, @maile3241 who got MU/WU running under Windows XP 64-bit using ProxHTTPSProxyMII 1.3a in the past. Whether it is still working in these days or not, I really don't know. If you can't fix it and all fails, you should give another method a try.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

Given that a while ago the discussion about email services was brought up, upon logging in to my Gmail account today I've got a big fat warning:

"Basic HTML will be discontinued by the end of the year. Switch to the modern version now otherwise you'll be switched to the new version automatically in January 2024".

So, for everyone who has been using the classic HTML display version of Gmail using the browser, it looks like we're gonna be forced to move to the new, bloated, totally unnecessary Javascript version soon.

That being said, I have no idea yet how it's gonna behave with the Roytam's browsers, but I wanted to put it here so that it's not gonna catch anyone by surprise.
Still, I'm very much against this Google's decision, but well... we can't really complain about a free service I guess... :( 

Edited by FranceBB

7 hours ago, FranceBB said:

"Basic HTML will be discontinued by the end of the year. Switch to the modern version now otherwise you'll be switched to the new version automatically in January 2024".

The same year Supermium (Chromium 121) will have Windows XP support.

https://msfn.org/board/topic/185045-supermium/?do=findComment&comment=1255549

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2023 at 6:52 PM, FranceBB said:

So, for everyone who has been using the classic HTML display version of Gmail using the browser, it looks like we're gonna be forced to move to the new, bloated, totally unnecessary Javascript version soon.

That being said, I have no idea yet how it's gonna behave with the Roytam's browsers, but I wanted to put it here so that it's not gonna catch anyone by surprise.

I don't remember when I've seen their basic HTML interface the last time, must have been many years ago. The few times I do login there, I've never had problems using Pale Moon for it.

Update notification! update.gif

As already reported here, the Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 28-11-2023. Here is a screenshot:

Root-Certificates-28-11-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

On 12/3/2023 at 4:22 PM, AstroSkipper said:

As already reported here, the Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 28-11-2023. Here is a screenshot:

Root-Certificates-28-11-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Both versions of my Root Certificate and Revoked Certificate Updater for offline use have been updated and are now of 11/28/2023. You can find them in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates in the first post of this thread.

Cheers, AstroSkipper d010.gif