ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use

AstroSkipper

14 hours ago, AstroSkipper said:

Frankly, I don't really see the need to use curl with ProxHTTPSProxy. It should also do its job without this proxy in Windows XP. About programs with curl embedded, I can't say anything detailed. These programs would have to be specified more clearly. Maybe, @Snowshoe can explain more detailed what kind of programs he referred to, what he actually wants to achieve with these curl programs and why he needs a connection established by ProxHTTPSProxy, including the command line input or other execution commands which leads to the error. In any case, the curl option --ssl-no-revoke prevents the cert revocation check with the server to be connected.

The program is a free open-source game called SRB2Kart. To get the latest version to work on XP you just need to place an XP-compatible dbghelp.dll in the same directory. To access the multiplayer feature, you select Multiplayer > Internet Server Browser from the main menu. Setting masterserver_debug "On" in kartconfig.cfg will show more information in the game's log.txt file. Anyway... the server it connects to uses TLS 1.2 (HTTPS only, no HTTP), but I can't get the game to connect to it regardless of whether or not I use ProxHTTPSProxy.

Without ProxHTTPSProxy:

IE8 can't connect to the server, even though TLS 1.2 is enabled. IE8 gives this error:

image.png.7201fe01e2e3caea0a46320b5b5443f5.png

While the game log shows this error:

HMS: connecting 'https://ms.kartkrew.org/ms/api/games/SRB2Kart/10/servers?v=2.2'...
*   Trying 173.234.30.114:443...
* Connected to ms.kartkrew.org (173.234.30.114) port 443 (#0)
* schannel: SNI or certificate check failed: SEC_E_WRONG_PRINCIPAL (0x80090322) - The target principal name is incorrect.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with ms.kartkrew.org port 443
ERROR: There was a problem contacting the master server...
From curl_easy_perform: SSL peer certificate or SSH remote key was not OK

With ProxHTTPSProxy:

IE8 will connect, but the game still cannot. ProxHTTPSProxy log shows this warning when the game tries to connect:

000 "[SSL: WRONG_VERSION_NUMBER] wrong version number (_ssl.c:1094)" while trying to establish local SSL tunnel for [ms.kartkrew.org:443]

While the game log shows this error:

HMS: connecting 'https://ms.kartkrew.org/ms/api/games/SRB2Kart/10/servers?v=2.2'...
* Uses proxy env variable https_proxy == 'localhost:8079'
*   Trying 127.0.0.1:8079...
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 8079 (#0)
* allocate connect buffer!
* Establish HTTP proxy tunnel to ms.kartkrew.org:443
> CONNECT ms.kartkrew.org:443 HTTP/1.1
Host: ms.kartkrew.org:443
Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
< HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
< Proxy-agent: ProxHTTPSProxyMII FrontProxy/v1.5 Python/3.7.1
< 
* Proxy replied 200 to CONNECT request
* CONNECT phase completed!
* schannel: next InitializeSecurityContext failed: Unknown error (0x80092012) - The revocation function was unable to check revocation for the certificate.
* Closing connection 0
* schannel: shutting down SSL/TLS connection with ms.kartkrew.org port 443
ERROR: There was a problem contacting the master server...
From curl_easy_perform: SSL connect error

Standalone Curl Test (with ProxHTTPSProxy and environment variables):

C:\Documents and Settings\Snowshoe>curl -v https://ms.kartkrew.org/ms/api
*   Trying 127.0.0.1...
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 8079 (#0)
* Establish HTTP proxy tunnel to ms.kartkrew.org:443
> CONNECT ms.kartkrew.org:443 HTTP/1.1
> Host: ms.kartkrew.org:443
> User-Agent: curl/7.46.0
> Proxy-Connection: Keep-Alive
>
< HTTP/1.1 200 Connection established
< Proxy-agent: ProxHTTPSProxyMII FrontProxy/v1.5 Python/3.7.1
<
* Proxy replied OK to CONNECT request
* ALPN, offering http/1.1
* Cipher selection: ALL:!EXPORT:!EXPORT40:!EXPORT56:!aNULL:!LOW:!RC4:@STRENGTH
* successfully set certificate verify locations:
*   CAfile: C:\ProxHTTPSProxy\CA.crt
  CApath: none
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS header, Certificate Status (22):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server hello (2):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Certificate (11):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server key exchange (12):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Server finished (14):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Client key exchange (16):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (OUT), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS change cipher, Client hello (1):
* TLSv1.2 (IN), TLS handshake, Finished (20):
* SSL connection using TLSv1.2 / ECDHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384
* ALPN, server did not agree to a protocol
* Server certificate:
*        subject: CN=*.kartkrew.org
*        start date: Jan 27 12:32:01 2023 GMT
*        expire date: Jan 26 12:32:01 2033 GMT
*        subjectAltName: ms.kartkrew.org matched
*        issuer: C=CN; O=ProxHTTPSProxy; OU=pyOpenSSL; CN=ProxHTTPSProxy CA
*        SSL certificate verify ok.
> GET /ms/api HTTP/1.1
> Host: ms.kartkrew.org
> User-Agent: curl/7.46.0
> Accept: */*
>
< HTTP/1.1 404 NOT FOUND
< Server: nginx/1.18.0 (Ubuntu)
< Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2023 15:15:03 GMT
< Content-Type: text/html; charset=utf-8
< Content-Length: 232
<
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2 Final//EN">
<title>404 Not Found</title>
<h1>Not Found</h1>
<p>The requested URL was not found on the server. If you entered the URL manuall
y please check your spelling and try again.</p>
* Connection #0 to host localhost left intact

I could possibly re-compile the game with CURLOPT_SSL_VERIFYPEER or CURLSSLOPT_NO_REVOKE thrown into the game's code, but that would be a last resort.

Hopefully this helps. :hello:

24 minutes ago, Snowshoe said:

It works in IE8 but not in the game, sadly...

I have the following environment variables:

http_proxy=localhost:8081

... Leave that envvar empty/don't use it at all, so that your ISP connection is used DIRECTLY for the cert revocation check (which is performed over plain HTTP); in any case, only the secure connections the game attempts should be redirected to the TLS proxy, i.e. ONLY the HTTPS_PROXY envvar should be used... Just my 2c, of course... :P

Edited by VistaLover

52 minutes ago, VistaLover said:
1 hour ago, Snowshoe said:

It works in IE8 but not in the game, sadly...

I have the following environment variables:

http_proxy=localhost:8081

... Leave that envvar empty/don't use it at all, so that your ISP connection is used DIRECTLY for the cert revocation check (which is performed over plain HTTP); in any case, only the secure connections the game attempts should be redirected to the TLS proxy, i.e. ONLY the HTTPS_PROXY envvar should be used... Just my 2c, of course... :P

Agreed! Do not use http_proxy=localhost:8081 and try again! BTW, the address https://ms.kartkrew.org/ms/api does not exist, neither in IE8 nor in New Moon 28, i.e. leads to the well-known 404 error:

ms-kartkrew-org-ms-api.png

Same error in your logs!

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

43 minutes ago, Snowshoe said:

I have the 08/18/2022 version from the first page, ProxHTTPSProxy_TLS_1_3_1_5_220717_PopMenu_3V3. :yes:

Totally forgot to mention! This version is the most recent. ssupercool2.gif Furthermore, I changed a bit the entry in the config.ini file:

### Ignore SSL certificate verify, Use at your own risk!!!
### Proxy setting still effective
[SSL No-Verify]
fe2.update.microsoft.com
*.12306.cn
https://ms.kartkrew.org/*
Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 2/4/2023 at 5:20 PM, Snowshoe said:

Setting masterserver_debug "On" in kartconfig.cfg will show more information in the game's log.txt file. Anyway... the server it connects to uses TLS 1.2 (HTTPS only, no HTTP), but I can't get the game to connect to it regardless of whether or not I use ProxHTTPSProxy.

Greetings.

"libcurl 7.69 with schannel"  and "curl 7.46 with openssl" - is a incomparable thing :-(

There is some problems with OpenSSL and "Let's Encrypt" certificates, so simplest way  is to use ProxyMII + custom libcurl.

In attachment - libcurl 7.69.1 with schannel, built on Visual Studio C Express 2008 with forced disabled revocation (string 516 in lib\vtls\schannel.c).

Please set masterserver_debug to "Off" - or this library may crash (i can't understood - why?)

Best regards.

libcurl.7z

On 2/5/2023 at 1:03 PM, cmalex said:

Greetings.

"libcurl 7.69 with schannel"  and "curl 7.46 with openssl" - is a incomparable thing :-(

There is some problems with OpenSSL and "Let's Encrypt" certificates, so simplest way  is to use ProxyMII + custom libcurl.

In attachment - libcurl 7.69.1 with schannel, built on Visual Studio C Express 2008 with forced disabled revocation (string 516 in lib\vtls\schannel.c).

Please set masterserver_debug to "Off" - or this library may crash (i can't understood - why?)

Best regards.

libcurl.7z 199.6 kB · 1 download

This solved the problem, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Update notification! update.gif

The Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 28-02-2023. Here is a screenshot:

Root-Certificates-28-02-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

On 3/1/2023 at 1:44 PM, AstroSkipper said:

The Root Certificates have been updated and are now from 28-02-2023. Here is a screenshot:

Root-Certificates-28-02-2023.png

Therefore, my self-created, offline Root Certificate Updaters in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates (in the first post of this thread) will also be updated as soon as possible. ssuper5sur5.gif

Both versions of my Root Certificate and Revoked Certificate Updater for offline use have been updated and are now of 02/28/2023. You can find them in the section 11.2.4. Downloads related to Root Certificate Updates in the first post of this thread.

Cheers, AstroSkipper d010.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper

CAupdater - An alternative Root Certificate Updater

There is an alternative tool for updating Root Certificates in Windows XP. I totally forgot to mention this here as a single program. The creator was @Thomas S.. It is called CAupdater and is available in version 1.0.0.1. I use it for years, and it works great.
Here is the link to its original post:

It is also embedded in @Thomas S.'s HTTPSProxy package which can be downloaded in the section 11.2.1.2. Downloads related to HTTPSProxy of my main article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use". In his original post linked above, the download link of CAupdater as a single archive file doesn't work anymore. Therefore, I will provide here a download link of this single archive file as soon as possible.

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content

On 3/17/2023 at 12:00 AM, AstroSkipper said:

CAupdater - An alternative Root Certificate Updater

There is an alternative tool for updating Root Certificates in Windows XP. I totally forgot to mention this here as a single program. The creator was @Thomas S.. It is called CAupdater and is available in version 1.0.0.1. I use it for years, and it works great.
Here is the link to its original post:

It is also embedded in @Thomas S.'s HTTPSProxy package which can be downloaded in the section 11.2.1.2. Downloads related to HTTPSProxy of my main article "ProxHTTPSProxy and HTTPSProxy in Windows XP for future use". In his original post linked above, the download link of CAupdater as a single archive file doesn't work anymore. Therefore, I will provide here a download link of this single archive file as soon as possible.

As promised above, I uploaded the program CAupdater 1.0.0.1 created by @Thomas S.. It is the original archive file without any modifications and an alternative to @heinoganda's Certificate Updater. This archive can be extracted to any desired location as CAupdater is a portable application. Here is the download link: 
https://www.mediafire.com/file/z34fifg2a09fzxo/CAupdater.7z/file link.gif

Cheers, AstroSkipper matrix.gif

Edited by AstroSkipper
Update of content