Jump to content

What do we even do at this point?


sunryze
 Share

Recommended Posts


1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

Kind of wish I could just not care.

Sorry for dumping such a huge comment here. Just needed to get that out of my mind.

Yeah, its it strange that once we open our eyes (eyes wide open), we can't just close them to what we (now) know to be fact. I do wish I could just back to not caring. Was I happier, perhaps, but was it real, no. Looking back (trust me, way WAY back ... haha) I was unaware and trusted what people told me and it wasn't until my mid 30's that I suddenly started to question everything and seek truth. We all (hopefully) reach that point but I think some don't ever question anything (blind trust). I guess I was innocent and fresh-faced. Now, I'm a bit (more than a bit) jaded; sad to say.

Yeah, sometimes need to get things off your shoulders, and that alone helps release the burden.

I don't like change either, so how do we deal with change around us (ever changing) whilst trying to maintain stability and consistency ... please let me know if somebody figures that one out :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gansangriff said:

Long term analysis? If you give old Windows a chance, you can use your systems until... that hardware becomes so retro that it hurts?

Why not use Linux for the tasks only, where it's good at?

Tonny, you are asking the right critical questions about the way, that computers have developed. Congratulations. (I wish I was that far with 15...)

I could give it a chance, but even anything older than probably Win10 1703 would not fit some of my needs, like modern game support, etc, hardware too. NVIDIA isn't too great with that. I can use Linux, but that is also an nvidia problem and it just barely runs on my PC. Doesn't run well on my desktop but on my laptop it runs awesome. I've been interested or using computers since I was 7 or so. I used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for about two years back then, so I have some childhood experience with Linux actually. But I used Win7 from about late 2013 to November 2015 when I upgraded to 10 on all my computers (which really was my Mom's laptop and the family PC), and I have been using 10 as my main OS since. That probably explains why I have a hard time figuring out what I want to do, because I've gotten so used to 10 that everything I essentially know of, has been with 10.

1 hour ago, XPerceniol said:

Yeah, its it strange that once we open our eyes (eyes wide open), we can't just close them to what we (now) know to be fact. I do wish I could just back to not caring. Was I happier, perhaps, but was it real, no. Looking back (trust me, way WAY back ... haha) I was unaware and trusted what people told me and it wasn't until my mid 30's that I suddenly started to question everything and seek truth. We all (hopefully) reach that point but I think some don't ever question anything (blind trust). I guess I was innocent and fresh-faced. Now, I'm a bit (more than a bit) jaded; sad to say.

I never thought much about Windows 10 until about 2019 when I started actually thinking about what I am doing. Before then, I didn't have the ability to have a somewhat form of judgement, so I just did things because I thought it would be cool, such as the reason I went to 10 in 2015. Now that I somewhat know of what 10 is doing, its the situation where you want to do something about it, but because you haven't over the last 6 years, it becomes increasingly harder and harder to. I think about it like this.

Someone born in 2001. Their XP was my 7. Their 7 was my 10. Their 10 is my 11.

7 was the first OS I ever used and remember. It was the OS that brought me through the first 6 years of my life after I started being able to use a computer for maybe education games and stuff. More specifically, 2011-2015. Only 4 years but I really miss it. After then, 10 brought me through the rest of my childhood and into my teenage years, where we are now. If I completely ignore the problems and issues 10 has, I would say I will definitely miss 10 later on. It is the OS I used the most and learned about life the most on it. It wasn't just for educational games at that point, it was the environment I matured with.

I guess that is why I find it so hard to try and not use it, because I have a mental attachment to something I have mixed feelings about. One day though, that will have to happen, I don't know when, and I don't know how.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

I could give it a chance, but even anything older than probably Win10 1703 would not fit some of my needs, like modern game support, etc, hardware too. NVIDIA isn't too great with that. I can use Linux, but that is also an nvidia problem and it just barely runs on my PC. Doesn't run well on my desktop but on my laptop it runs awesome. I've been interested or using computers since I was 7 or so. I used Ubuntu 12.04 LTS for about two years back then, so I have some childhood experience with Linux actually. But I used Win7 from about late 2013 to November 2015 when I upgraded to 10 on all my computers (which really was my Mom's laptop and the family PC), and I have been using 10 as my main OS since. That probably explains why I have a hard time figuring out what I want to do, because I've gotten so used to 10 that everything I essentially know of, has been with 10.

I never thought much about Windows 10 until about 2019 when I started actually thinking about what I am doing. Before then, I didn't have the ability to have a somewhat form of judgement, so I just did things because I thought it would be cool, such as the reason I went to 10 in 2015. Now that I somewhat know of what 10 is doing, its the situation where you want to do something about it, but because you haven't over the last 6 years, it becomes increasingly harder and harder to. I think about it like this.

Someone born in 2001. Their XP was my 7. Their 7 was my 10. Their 10 is my 11.

7 was the first OS I ever used and remember. It was the OS that brought me through the first 6 years of my life after I started being able to use a computer for maybe education games and stuff. More specifically, 2011-2015. Only 4 years but I really miss it. After then, 10 brought me through the rest of my childhood and into my teenage years, where we are now. If I completely ignore the problems and issues 10 has, I would say I will definitely miss 10 later on. It is the OS I used the most and learned about life the most on it. It wasn't just for educational games at that point, it was the environment I matured with.

 

I know that "It will be cool" thinking. I used to do the same. Then one evening when was walking at lake I though is this what I want. That evening I made decision get rid of things I did not like and went back to old and working. I got feelings too towards Windows 10 but those are not fond. Rather slap to face.

For me it was 98 and 95 as child and first pc I owned was running Windows XP Professional.

For me Windows 10 is not standalone OS rather cloud based as it tries push that onedrive and ms account to login integration. I hate Windows offender, I hate Onedrive, I hate Windoze as service and wish could erase them forever. Sure Windoze 10 is fun as standalone but nightmare for proper administrating on big network. It is not ok for OS to hose up totally every time you install patch and even less ok is to force renew ADMX templates. Back in Windows 7 era on domain making start menu was much easier and it did not include UWP bloatware. Ad infested programs got no place in production network and with Windows 10 they are mandatory! Sure not if you got enterprise edition but do you think every company in world can afford licenses for that? So I hate win10 for it refusal to co-operate with experienced system administrator, rather limit what I can do and will stick on old tech that works.

1 hour ago, Tonny52 said:

I guess that is why I find it so hard to try and not use it, because I have a mental attachment to something I have mixed feelings about. One day though, that will have to happen, I don't know when, and I don't know how.

My advice to you is still same as before. Put all critic from your decisions to /dev/null/ which is in normie language means ignore it. Nobody here can tell you what to do or what to use. I no longer care at all what others think from fact I am sticking on older equipments. You need to make decisions on your own or it was not your own decision. You can see how open I dare to be about Microsoft or technological problems? Do I care that many disagree with me? No.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

I know that "It will be cool" thinking. I used to do the same. Then one evening when was walking at lake I though is this what I want. That evening I made decision get rid of things I did not like and went back to old and working. I got feelings too towards Windows 10 but those are not fond. Rather slap to face.

For me it was 98 and 95 as child and first pc I owned was running Windows XP Professional.

For me Windows 10 is not standalone OS rather cloud based as it tries push that onedrive and ms account to login integration. I hate Windows offender, I hate Onedrive, I hate Windoze as service and wish could erase them forever. Sure Windoze 10 is fun as standalone but nightmare for proper administrating on big network. It is not ok for OS to hose up totally every time you install patch and even less ok is to force renew ADMX templates. Back in Windows 7 era on domain making start menu was much easier and it did not include UWP bloatware. Ad infested programs got no place in production network and with Windows 10 they are mandatory! Sure not if you got enterprise edition but do you think every company in world can afford licenses for that? So I hate win10 for it refusal to co-operate with experienced system administrator, rather limit what I can do and will stick on old tech that works.

My advice to you is still same as before. Put all critic from your decisions to /dev/null/ which is in normie language means ignore it. Nobody here can tell you what to do or what to use. I no longer care at all what others think from fact I am sticking on older equipments. You need to make decisions on your own or it was not your own decision. You can see how open I dare to be about Microsoft or technological problems? Do I care that many disagree with me? No.

Yeah, I have pretty much cut out anything old in my decisions and I guess I'm fine with that. As said, I can tolerate modern vers of 10 and even 11. All I do is turn off all the privacy stuff (sure, there is stuff still enabled, but whatever, I use Google services and have my phone signed in to my Google account) so ill probably stick with the Win10 or 11 that I have been slimming down over the last few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/18/2021 at 7:28 AM, TrevMUN said:

on my XP64 machine given the TITAN X Maxwell

Hi and sorry for the off-top. I was offered this 8 years old card for dirt cheap.  Is it woth it ? My current is GTX980 super OC . [SSC] . I'm not satisfied with it's performance . Also , with the missing AA options . Could you please look at your NVCPL and tell me what is the max available AA settings ? Thank you very much .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're being offered a Titan X Maxwell for dirt cheap, I'd say go for it regardless. Based on user benchmarks you'll probably see a 25% performance boost.

At any rate, my control panel says 8x is the maximum, and provides options for FXAA and whether or not to anti-alias transparencies (and if so, at what sampling rate).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TrevMUN said:

my control panel says 8x is the maximum, and provides options for FXAA and whether or not to anti-alias transparencies (and if so, at what sampling rate).

Thank you for the swift reply ! That's what I was really afraid of . 8 is too low and FXAA/MSAA makes my games blurry . I need CSAA , at 16 or 32xx. And I was thinking it's something wrong with my card at first ! Now I see the whole maxwell gen. and up are wrong.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would sure enjoy something faster than a 970 like a 3060 Ti or something. Too bad you can't find them.

At this point I might just wait until 2022 or 2023, then just grab a new prebuilt from NZXT or use their BLD thing. That would also be the time when I move to Windows 11, unless it gets fine in my book by then.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Thank you for the swift reply ! That's what I was really afraid of . 8 is too low and FXAA/MSAA makes my games blurry . I need CSAA , at 16 or 32xx. And I was thinking it's something wrong with my card at first ! Now I see the whole maxwell gen. and up are wrong.

You'll probably want a TITAN Black, then, if you can still find one. From what I can see, that's the most powerful card which supports CSAA. You'll take a little bit of a performance hit switching from your 980 though.

Perhaps if you're lucky to find two TITAN Blacks, you could run them SLI and make up for that.

EDIT: In fact, I just went and checked eBay, and it looks like there's a handful of people selling them. As of this edit, there's three bids on someone selling two of them for $205 each.

Edited by TrevMUN
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/28/2021 at 9:43 PM, Tonny52 said:

I would sure enjoy something faster than a 970 like a 3060 Ti or something. Too bad you can't find them.

At this point I might just wait until 2022 or 2023, then just grab a new prebuilt from NZXT or use their BLD thing. That would also be the time when I move to Windows 11, unless it gets fine in my book by then.

I have been reading the posts on this thread and Tony52 you have had a lot of input from those that know and it seems that you still are really not sure what to do....Windows 10 is crap and that is why I started the "Official - Windows 10 Worst Crap Ever!"...and what I have seen here about Windows 11....well, I won't even go down that road...

If Linux is too much of a jump for you - THEN your options are restricted....

Windows 10/11 on the one hand = Crap

Linux on another = Best option but takes getting to know...

Mac is always a good option = EXPENSIVE!!

So....it comes down to putting up with an OS one doesn't like and keep doing as many do....hope for improvement....which isn't coming and likely never will...

Sorry....my view on your situation.....

No offense intended!

 

bookie32

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, bookie32 said:

So....it comes down to putting up with an OS one doesn't like and keep doing as many do....hope for improvement....which isn't coming and likely never will...

operating systems are going more and more controlling users instead of giving them free control over OS

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Mr.Scienceman2000 said:

operating systems are going more and more controlling users instead of giving them free control over OS

I agree....I use Windows 10 for business and for private use Linux....XP was best and Windows 7 not a bad upgrade.....but since.....CRAP!!

 

bookie32

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...