Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

2 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

No. And you ?

No. Still, I'm interested in seeing how Windows Betas were like and I'm planning to build a powerful Vista desktop that will replace my old but trusty yet deemed for replacement Pentium D desktop. It will have an i5 or i7 (Sandy or Ivy Bridge), a Nvidia 700 series GPU (preferably a GT 710 as I won't game but will multitask quite a lot) 12 or 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. This will be for virtualisation, storing and watching family videos and movies (4k and 8k) and advanced audio editing. 

Now that does not mean that my main laptop (Dell Latitude e5420) is not powerful. It is very fast for running one VM at a time. But, sometimes virtualisation sessions can become insanely intensive (when running Windows 95, 98, Vista and 7 VM's all at the same time, for example) and for that, the laptop just isn't enough. So, I will use the desktop for this kind of stuff.

3 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

No. Still, I'm interested in seeing how Windows Betas were like and I'm planning to build a powerful Vista desktop that will replace my old but trusty yet deemed for replacement Pentium D desktop. It will have an i5 or i7 (Sandy or Ivy Bridge), a Nvidia 700 series GPU (preferably a GT 710 as I won't game but will multitask quite a lot) 12 or 16 GB of DDR3 RAM, a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. This will be for virtualisation, storing and watching family videos and movies (4k and 8k) and advanced audio editing. 

Now that does not mean that my main laptop (Dell Latitude e5420) is not powerful. It is very fast for running one VM at a time. But, sometimes virtualisation sessions can become insanely intensive (when running Windows 95, 98, Vista and 7 VM's all at the same time, for example) and for that, the laptop just isn't enough. So, I will use the desktop for this kind of stuff.

Ha-ha-ha , sorry ... 1tb for 4k and 8k videos , really !?!? 710 is not suited for 4K/8K. Gotta have at least GTX950 (works with Vista) . Everything else makes sense . 

38 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

8770W might be pretty good for that, Ivy Bridge, quad core models have 4 RAM slots, two 2.5 bays with 1 mSATA slot, and an alright GPU stock

39 minutes ago, D.Draker said:

Ha-ha-ha , sorry ... 1tb for 4k and 8k videos , really !?!? 710 is not suited for 4K/8K. Gotta have at least GTX950 (works with Vista) . Everything else makes sense . 

I won't be downloading many 4k/8k videos but will watch them on YouTube mostly.

8 minutes ago, asdf2345 said:

8770W might be pretty good for that, Ivy Bridge, quad core models have 4 RAM slots, two 2.5 bays with 1 mSATA slot, and an alright GPU stock

17 inch is just too big for me. If I choose a laptop, then I might go with an HP Probook 6460b/6470b or an HP Elitebook 8460p/8470p. Also, I have 2 Dells already so I might also look into buying a Lenovo ThinkPad t420/t430 with an Nvidia Quadro NVS (whatever model number here) GPU and a quad core i7. 

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

I had tried longhorn with 2007 MSI mobo , chipset G31 , it went okay . Unfortunately I forgot the build number. 

I said they "work best" not that they don't work at all

3 hours ago, D.Draker said:

Vista in 2005-2006 ??? Are you sure ?

You can call it the beginning of the vista era since beta 1 (2005) and 2 (2006) were released and you obviously know the final name

I don't want to be rude or to insult you but there's something I don't like about you and I don't know how to describe it:rolleyes:

15 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

I won't be downloading many 4k/8k videos but will watch them on YouTube mostly.

Then again you need a videocard that supports 4K and youtube's VP9 codec hardware decoding in 4K mode.

13 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I said they "work best" not that they don't work at all

You can call it the beginning of the vista era since beta 1 (2005) and 2 (2006) were released and you obviously know the final name

I don't want to be rude or to insult you but there's something I don't like about you and I don't know how to describe it:rolleyes:

Whaaaat ? So now I can't say it worked for me ? You have quite an attitude . Manufacturers of consumer motherboards don't take betas into account and don't release drivers for them , so this has nothing to do with your specific issues (IDE or not) in your isolated case. And I'm saying not for you , but for the others .

No , you CAN'T call it "the beginning of the vista era since 2005" . How old were you in 2005 ? 4 years ?

It says you were born at the and of 2000 ?!

So please stop misinforming people . You can't know anything about it , obviously . And what you read in the internet is not always true (surprise!).

2005 and 2006 are 100% XP era , there were NO drivers for Vista at all , and there were too few of them , even when Vista was launched .

Make your research before insulting .

It's a well known problem , not enough drivers over the course of all Vista's years . We were struggling to find drivers .

But then again , I don't think a 4 year old would've remembered.

Well , lemme guess , do I scare you when you go to bed ? You can't fall asleep and my face distracts you from the sweet lullaby ?

I'm sorry do dissapoint you , I'm not gonna cry . Things you may try : add me to your blocklist , never reply to my posts and continue to live your wonderful life.

I don't see any problem. 

2 hours ago, D.Draker said:

No , you CAN'T call it "the beginning of the vista era since 2005" . How old were you in 2005 ? 4 years ?

Exactly. The proper Vista era only began in around 2008 AFAIK as proper drivers were not available for Vista and OEMs put XP drivers on Vista installs.

My Vista experience is okay, being a long time Win7 user, it wasn't hard to adapt Vista for the first time, it felt so smooth and well put together with SP2 + updates to 2020. I think it's still a very good usable option for legacy Windows users that has a stable extended kernel :)