Share your Microsoft Windows Vista Experience!

Win10-Hater

9 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Yes, he plans on using Vista on this and I found drivers for it on the Nvidia website, so that will not be an issue

https://imgur.com/wdgQC9O

"No certified downloads were found for this configuration. To include beta downloads in your search, click here."

Am I missing something? Also nothing on the "New Feature Branch" and nothing in the betas

6 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Burd has a mobile 1060, which is able to work (somewhat) on Vista

well my desktop 1060 works too but you know the driver's story

6 hours ago, asdf2345 said:

Also, I've discovered the M5000M seller never took the money, never shipped the item, and never said anything about it.

f

9 hours ago, winvispixp said:

The best GPU for desktops that has official drivers from nvidia for windows vista is GTX TITAN X and for mobile/laptops is GTX 680MX (at least from what I understand from the nvidia drivers download website)

The best GPU for laptops/notebooks (it's how we call them in Europe) that has official drivers from Nvidia for Windows Vista (both x64 and x86) is

GTX 980M 

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/102379/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/102378/en-us

6 hours ago, Dixel said:

The best GPU for laptops/notebooks (it's how we call them in Europe) that has official drivers from Nvidia for Windows Vista (both x64 and x86) is

GTX 980M 

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driverResults.aspx/102379/en-us

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverresults.aspx/102378/en-us

I don't have a laptop with a gtx 980m to test the drivers to see if they are working 

If you go to the supported products page you can't see any mobile gpu.. are you sure these are compatible with mobile stuff too?

8 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

I don't have a laptop with a gtx 980m to test the drivers to see if they are working 

If you go to the supported products page you can't see any mobile gpu.. are you sure these are compatible with mobile stuff too?

They are, but no laptop with compatible cpu and other drivers exists. These gpus came with 6th or 7th gen intel cpus.

9 hours ago, winvispixp said:

Well if you have doubts , you can download the driver , extract it with 7zip and look up for >supported devices list< and/or in the >.inf< file to make sure . It's usually located in nv_dspi.inf .

Also , you completely forgot 700 series , which are 100% compatible and best , in my opinion , even better than 900  series , I'm not talking abour raw power , it's about their visually quality and , for example much better AA . Also , don't forget about the legendary GTX 780M , which is faster than GTX 680MX and not that slower than 980M (in real life scenario). If you want my personal experience , my girlfriend once had a laptop with GTX 780M and it worked perfectly fine with Vista , using driver 344.x.x (do not remember the exact value). But do NOT buy laptops with OPTIMUS feature , otherwise you won't able to use your GPU completely ! I won't double post , just search for "optimus not working with Vista" or smth similar. Ask, if you have more questions , don't forget to like.

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Well if you have doubts , you can download the driver , extract it with 7zip and look up for >supported devices list< and/or in the >.inf< file to make sure . It's usually located in nv_dspi.inf .

ok, will try that

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

Also , you completely forgot 700 series , which are 100% compatible and best

yo man I think my internet provider won't let me download what drivers I want cuz I can't find a  driver for 780m too 

9 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

They are, but no laptop with compatible cpu and other drivers exists. These gpus came with 6th or 7th gen intel cpus.

well yes, but there are also laptops with 3rd gen upgradable intel CPUs (best CPU I think is i7 3940XM) and upgradable GPUs

HP 8770w is an example. I saw a lot of people using 900 series GPUs on this model (980m; 970m) and quadro GPUs like m5000m

2 hours ago, Dixel said:

I can't find any nv_dspi.inf but I found nv_dispi.inf and there was no mention of any mobile gpu except some random tesla and quadro models

BUT in the ListDevices.txt in the root folder I found all mobile gpus (including gtx 980m and m5000m).. 

I'm not sure what to believe.. I own an asus 920m laptop and I really want to try on it but it has a 4th gen i3 cpu which won't let me do much.. the keyboard does not work when I boot into the vista installer neither the touch pad and usb ports

6 hours ago, winvispixp said:

I can't find any nv_dspi.inf but I found nv_dispi.inf and there was no mention of any mobile gpu except some random tesla and quadro models

BUT in the ListDevices.txt in the root folder I found all mobile gpus (including gtx 980m and m5000m).. 

I'm not sure what to believe.. I own an asus 920m laptop and I really want to try on it but it has a 4th gen i3 cpu which won't let me do much.. the keyboard does not work when I boot into the vista installer neither the touch pad and usb ports

So you've just confirmed everything that I wrote , you need to look at >supported devices list< first , about "nv_dspi.inf" it was a simple typo , not sure why you even brought that up if you already found that device in officialy >supported devices list<. About "beleive" , supported devices list is the official Nvidia statement and absolutely true . About your laptop , you need to make sure that it DOESN'T have OPTIMUS tech., since it won't work with Vista at all . And I think that it DOES . And all future laptops you're gonna buy , just make sure they don't have optimus too , or try to find a modded BIOS , where it is disabled . But it is recommended for advanced users only.

8 hours ago, winvispixp said:

well yes, but there are also laptops with 3rd gen upgradable intel CPUs (best CPU I think is i7 3940XM) and upgradable GPUs

HP 8770w is an example. I saw a lot of people using 900 series GPUs on this model (980m; 970m) and quadro GPUs like m5000m

Or maybe a Dell precision m6700? Does that support 980m,970m or m5000m GPUs?

So according to this.. the m6700 has optimus but I guess it can be disabled?

https://i.dell.com/sites/csdocuments/Shared-Content_data-Sheets_Documents/en/us/Dell-Precision-M6700-Spec-Sheet-tab.pdf

4 hours ago, TECHGEEK said:

Or maybe a Dell precision m6700? Does that support 980m,970m or m5000m GPUs?

Well this guy upgraded to a gtx 980m.. I haven't watched the whole video tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZWkwzUvrQk

10 minutes ago, winvispixp said:

I dunno because I don't have one, but if it can't be disabled, then wouldn't the best option be to use the AMD Firepro GPU?

Edited by TECHGEEK

Just now, TECHGEEK said:

I dunno because I don't have one, but if it can't be disabled, then wouldn't the best option be to use the AMD Firepro GPU?

I checked online and on the Dell Precision M6600 (the Sandy Bridge equivalent of the m6700) with BIOS Rev. A02, it can be disabled. Then maybe it can be disabled on the m6700 too.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dell-precision-m6700-owners-thread.682401/page-233

I guess it can be disabled on m6700 too

1. I wouldn't consider the AMD gpus as an option since the firepro m6000 and m6100 are worse than a 960m

2. m6600 is ok.. I mean it supports 2nd gen extreme i7 cpus but the 3rd gen ones are like 10% faster and you can live in peace knowing that you own the best vista compatible laptop:cool: but I don't know what's the best gpu you can put in that thing.. a lot of people say that they can't get the quadro k series working so I doubt the m series will work..

I love talking about things I will probably never own :lol: