Why do so many people say staying on older versions of Windows is stupid?

sunryze

I think old versions are hated because security exploits.

Because security exploits will stole your money, encyrpt all information, damage your computer, burn your house, give your all information and secrets to darkweb, will destroy you slowly, and your family (!).

Security exploits are overrated, they can damage your computer but, if you don't download viruses and scan all unknown files, any virus will infect you.

You can infect a computer with a lot security precautions if you don't care about security. Anybody can write a "virus" that blocks your input and logs you off so you can lose all your unsaved work. Antiviruses will not detect it because it will use very "innocent" functions. So if you are careful, you can use old versions. And if you aren't careful, you can get viruses with a lot of security.

Edited by husara1
too many empty lines

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen a plausible argument for this other than "compatibility". Which is quite subjective BTW, as there are many programs that work unoficially as normal in older OSes (an example of it is whatsapp on Windows 7)

EDIT: People were speaking about old phones and liking them. I'm into smartphones but older. I have a Samsung Galaxy S5 Neo with chinese batteries (the safe ones). It serves me better than current smartphones that look like a brick, it runs android 11, plan to add 12, and it costed nothing.

Edited by Eddie Phizika

• 1 year later...

It isn't easy to say. Most people that I see around don't really care what you use. My school still has some Server 2003 systems around. I personally don't care what you use. I've gotten more preferring on modern Windows, 11 in some cases because the UI in my opinion is getting a lot more TLC than Windows 10 did. I've also moved to Edge on my personal laptop to save battery life- actually made a significant difference from Firefox.

• 3 months later...
On 4/18/2021 at 5:25 AM, sunryze said:

I see on many, many forums, such as r/windows, the Microsoft discord and even the Linus Tech Tips forums where people mention using 7 or so nowadays and people lose their minds, breaking out in cyber arguments about if its a good or bad idea to keep using them. So I have a question. 

Why do so many people just have problems about older operating systems? As well as that, how many real-people would actually say if 7 or 10 is better? Most of my family says 7 is a lot better. Even a lot of my friends say 7 is better than 10. 

Familiarity and Resistance to Change people often become accustomed to a particular operating system and its features. When a new version is released, it may introduce changes in user interface, functionality, or compatibility, leading to resistance and preference for the older version.

To me, it seems to be more of a lifestyle philosophy.

The only people I've ever met that think running XP is "stupid" are people that upgrade their mobile phones once or twice a year.

They have to have the "latest and greatest" and are too blind to see that mindset being why they live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings of any kind.

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

They have to have the "latest and greatest

This is gettin' old, with a long, very long and grey beard.

Does switching/throwing away lots of burners count as a frequent upgrade?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, only new burners. With a new OS (even though cheap, for the most part).

Edited by D.Draker

6 hours ago, NotHereToPlayGames said:

They have to have the "latest and greatest" and are too blind to see that mindset being why they live paycheck to paycheck and have no savings of any kind.

On the other hand, one might realize one day he's accumulated bunch of savings, grew old and hasn't really lived.

Can't say that chasing "latest and greatest" is really "living", though some people want new stuff every once in a while just to break the monotony.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/20/2023 at 2:41 PM, jasonjulius1122 said:

Familiarity and Resistance to Change people often become accustomed to a particular operating system and its features. When a new version is released, it may introduce changes in user interface, functionality, or compatibility, leading to resistance and preference for the older version.

I still consider this a big one. The UI design these days, it's like it came from the zoo. :lol: