Windows 7 and 8 in 2021

Jaguarek62

2 hours ago, monkeylove said:

To minimize telemetry, try O&O Shut Up.

To avoid telemetry and even problems with a lack of security updates, consider another operating system that goes through continuous updates.

To make Win 10 or even 8.1 look like 7, try Open-Shell.

I DIdn't install any telemetry updates, also no compattelrunner.exe in my windows folder. I'm quite happy with how windows 8.1 looks, windows 7 look looks dated in my opinion (Don't kill me for that :D )

3 hours ago, monkeylove said:

To avoid telemetry and even problems with a lack of security updates, consider another operating system that goes through continuous updates.

O&O Shut Up can break things, like microphones, because it disables those along with everything else

Lack of updates doesn't really cause any problems, especially lack of security updates

Open-Shell is just a band-aid on a broken pane of glass

14 minutes ago, Jaguarek62 said:

windows 7 look looks dated in my opinion (Don't kill me for that :D )

🔪 (Joke)

Edited by asdf2345

8 hours ago, monkeylove said:

To minimize telemetry, try Vista.

To avoid telemetry, try Vista.

To make Win 10 or even 8.1 look like 7, try Vista.

3 minutes ago, Dixel said:

To minimize telemetry, try Vista.

To avoid telemetry, try Vista.

To make Win 10 or even 8.1 look like 7, try Vista.

Vista does not support my gpu, my capture card, my nvme drive. Vista does not support games that I play, programs that I use. 

As an example I can list programs crucial for me:

Glasswire, VMware workstation, teamviewer, photoshop, paint.net, visual studio and teams (since I both study and work at the same time).

I play Beamng drive (does not work), Gta V (does not work), CS:GO (does work with latest steam client), Minecraft (soon will stop working), NFS heat (does not work).

4 hours ago, Jaguarek62 said:

Vista does not support my gpu, my capture card, my nvme drive. Vista does not support games that I play, programs that I use. 

As an example I can list programs crucial for me:

Glasswire, VMware workstation, teamviewer, photoshop, paint.net, visual studio and teams (since I both study and work at the same time).

I play Beamng drive (does not work), Gta V (does not work), CS:GO (does work with latest steam client), Minecraft (soon will stop working), NFS heat (does not work).

I thought I replied to another person . Anyways , I think it is wise to have at least two PCs , for gaming and the internet . And Vista easily supports everything related to the internet, now including modern browsers , btw VMvare 10.x is the last good version , ask win32. Photoshop 2014 is the last good too.  

30 minutes ago, Dixel said:

I thought I replied to another person . Anyways , I think it is wise to have at least two PCs , for gaming and the internet . And Vista easily supports everything related to the internet, now including modern browsers , btw VMvare 10.x is the last good version , ask win32. Photoshop 2014 is the last good too.  

Wait... That was not joke? Why would you replace windows 7 or 8 with vista? i mean i respect you guys if you use it for the fun of it but for serious computing purposes?! There is absolutely no benefit. Speed improvements in newer operating systems. i've used vista in past and it was horrible. Got little better with sp2, but in 2007 the rtm version oh boy. Completely corrupted my hdd while copying 100 gb of family photos (never gonna forgive that).

You say vista is good for internet... Well i would not use vista for internet banking for example. Why would you take the risk? Also hardware support is way better in windows 7 and 8

i would say that you need at least windows 7 to run all apps that normal people do.

Here is my list of programs (since i dont care about vista idk if these do work or dont)

Edge browser, Discord, Skype, Avast, office 2019, spotify, itunes (for my phone), obs, share x, GOG launcher, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Teamviewer.

2 minutes ago, BluePanda98 said:

Wait... That was not joke? Why would you replace windows 7 or 8 with vista? i mean i respect you guys if you use it for the fun of it but for serious computing purposes?! There is absolutely no benefit. Speed improvements in newer operating systems. i've used vista in past and it was horrible. Got little better with sp2, but in 2007 the rtm version oh boy. Completely corrupted my hdd while copying 100 gb of family photos (never gonna forgive that).

You say vista is good for internet... Well i would not use vista for internet banking for example. Why would you take the risk? Also hardware support is way better in windows 7 and 8

i would say that you need at least windows 7 to run all apps that normal people do.

Here is my list of programs (since i dont care about vista idk if these do work or dont)

Edge browser, Discord, Skype, Avast, office 2019, spotify, itunes (for my phone), obs, share x, GOG launcher, Steam, Origin, Uplay, Teamviewer.

Vista was, is and will be good os. Your problems had to be driver related.

though I would not replace 8.1 with vista I don’t see why some could not. The extended kernel project is miracle and it is secure as much as windows 7 since you know, no updates too :p

7 hours ago, monkeylove said:

To minimise telemetry, use Windows 7 or 8.x.

To avoid telemetry, use Windows Vista, XP or 2K (if all your software/hardware supports it), which have almost ZERO telemetry.

To make Windows 10 look like 7 (or 8.x, Vista or XP), it's not 100% possible, and because of not being 100% possible, the UI, even with tweaks through Open Shell, 7++ TT, etc.etc. looks dirty and fragmented. So move to 8.x and tweak the UI or move to 7 to experience the beauty of the native UI or, even better, use Vista (whose Aero IMO is better than 7's) (then again, if the hardware and software you have/need supports it).

11 minutes ago, BluePanda98 said:

Vista is actually good for activity online as its current market share is very low, thus making it a 95% unlikely target for internet hijacks/exploits. And with the extended kernel and the gift of @win32 to the Vista community, this state has gotten a lot better, as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Waterfox etc.etc., which are major browsers now run on Vista just like how they run on 7. My dad actually uses my main Vista laptop for (carefully monitored) online banking approx. once every week. And I have created a separate standard account only for him and mom to use the computer on.

Edited by Win10-Hater

21 minutes ago, Dixel said:

Are you sure ? Works , definitely . Just don't use the latest launcher . 

Yes, I’m sure. Even if you use the old launcher you cannot play on the newest patch. This prevents you from playing online. Trust me, I would love to say that it works

20 minutes ago, BluePanda98 said:

1. You have Google Chrome and Opera (which, as you all know, are Chromium forks) as alternatives to Edge which work with the extended kernel , and also, Edge will work on Vista in some time as win32 is working on adding more functions to the extended kernel files which will allow Edge to function.

2. Discord: There's Ripcord which is a Discord client that works even with vanilla Vista.

3. Skype: I use Skype on my secondary Windows 8.1 computer now and I'm thinking of dualbooting Windows Vista with 8.0 Pro x64 on my main laptop to use Skype. But if Skype becomes open-source (I don't know whether it is), I will try working on backporting it to Windows 2000, XP and Vista.

4. Avast: Avast is still supporting Vista, though no new feature updates for Vista (or older) are being released, which, IMO, is not a big deal.

5. Office 2019: It's ugly, slow and bloated (as @WinClient5270 rightly said somewhere), or, in other words, crap. I still use Office 2010 on all my computers and when it becomes completely obsolete, I'll move on to Google Suite/Zoho Suite (both are online services) or LibreOffice.

6. ShareX: It works with .net FW 4.7.2 which can be installed on Vista through @WinFX's method.

7. Teamviewer: Why do you need it when you have AnyDesk, which supports XP through 10?

Rest of the programs, I don't know about them.

11 minutes ago, Win10-Hater said:

5. Office 2019: It's ugly, slow and bloated (as @WinClient5270 rightly said somewhere), or, in other words, crap. I still use Office 2010 on all my computers and when it becomes completely obsolete, I'll move on to Google Suite/Zoho Suite (both are online services) or LibreOffice.

I agree with you on everything but this. I don't have anything against it (apart of onedrive). Also it starts right up on my pc.

Anyways I could not agree more. Nice summary

12 hours ago, Win10-Hater said:

To minimise telemetry, use Windows 7 or 8.x.

To avoid telemetry, use Windows Vista, XP or 2K (if all your software/hardware supports it), which have almost ZERO telemetry.

To make Windows 10 look like 7 (or 8.x, Vista or XP), it's not 100% possible, and because of not being 100% possible, the UI, even with tweaks through Open Shell, 7++ TT, etc.etc. looks dirty and fragmented. So move to 8.x and tweak the UI or move to 7 to experience the beauty of the native UI or, even better, use Vista (whose Aero IMO is better than 7's) (then again, if the hardware and software you have/need supports it).

2K, Vista, and XP have no security updates, and 7 and 8.1 will be losing them soon. Telemetry will be the least of your problems. Given that, you are better off using another OS brand.

You don't need to make Win 10 look exactly like 7, but if that's your obsession, then stick to 7 at all costs.